IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Embarrassing Story

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-15, 12:09 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No big deal, we all make mistakes. I left my iPhone on my rear glass and drove away. I drove about a half hour, parked the car, looked for the phone then found it where I left it. I was lucky I have it in an otter box that sorta grips to the window. Happens to all of us.
Old 05-04-15, 01:00 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

dang.. but yeah like others said, its strange how the flashing and beeping no key didnt alarm you. But stealerships with overpriced parts..

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 05-04-15, 01:12 PM
Isflamez
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joshhleee
dang.. but yeah like others said, its strange how the flashing and beeping no key didnt alarm you. But stealerships with overpriced parts..
I know right! As much as i wanted to avoid the stealership, there was no way around it. There prices for extended warranties are through the roof!
Old 05-04-15, 06:48 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An F keyfob is unusual, an ISF is unusual, so whoever finds the keyfob and finds your car... you do the math. I'd get the ECU reprogrammed to a new set of keyfobs so the old one doesn't work anymore.
Old 05-04-15, 07:16 PM
NarsISF
Rookie

you know what i don't understand…lets say I'm driving and i pull up to my house. I leave the car running while i go inside to grab something (key fob in my pocket) Is someone able to jump in the car and drive away even though the key fob is with me? One time i was driving my buddy home in his is250. the key fob was in HIS pocket, and without any of us realizing, I drove off to my house with his car. I then realized that i had gotten from his house to my house without a key fob…lol i would think the car would shut off after a certain distance?
Old 05-04-15, 08:07 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Buy one of the slim credit card style keys while you're at it. One thing I never forget is my wallet. I've been in the 'drive off without a key' boat before, fortunately I didn't turn off the car, but since I got the wallet key I have no fear!
Old 05-05-15, 04:59 AM
Isflamez
Rookie

Originally Posted by Juanca
An F keyfob is unusual, an ISF is unusual, so whoever finds the keyfob and finds your car... you do the math. I'd get the ECU reprogrammed to a new set of keyfobs so the old one doesn't work anymore.
Once they program new key, old key no longer works. They would be able to get in the car with the actual cut key but not start it.
Old 05-05-15, 07:19 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NarsISF
you know what i don't understand…lets say I'm driving and i pull up to my house. I leave the car running while i go inside to grab something (key fob in my pocket) Is someone able to jump in the car and drive away even though the key fob is with me? One time i was driving my buddy home in his is250. the key fob was in HIS pocket, and without any of us realizing, I drove off to my house with his car. I then realized that i had gotten from his house to my house without a key fob…lol i would think the car would shut off after a certain distance?
lol I'm pretty sure there would be a HUGE safety and liability issue with cars just shutting off while driving. The best that can be done is the car alerting you the key isn't present. Maybe it should be a little more obvious than it is in our car since many of us have missed it.
Old 05-05-15, 09:19 AM
NarsISF
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sean
lol I'm pretty sure there would be a HUGE safety and liability issue with cars just shutting off while driving. The best that can be done is the car alerting you the key isn't present. Maybe it should be a little more obvious than it is in our car since many of us have missed it.
lol you're right that would be a huge safety issue but what i mean is if the key fob is not in the car, having the car idle in park shouldnt be an issue. But as soon as you put it in reverse or in drive it should shut off..Idk its just weird that i was able to drive my buddys car all the way home without a key lol
Old 05-05-15, 12:43 PM
allgoodman
Rookie

Oh man, that sucks.

I've done that before too, but with my takeout food. Go home, food's gone. I actually saw some lady in an SUV exiting the Target parking lot with some shopping back on the roof the other day.
Old 05-05-15, 01:15 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

lol you're right that would be a huge safety issue but what i mean is if the key fob is not in the car, having the car idle in park shouldnt be an issue. But as soon as you put it in reverse or in drive it should shut off..Idk its just weird that i was able to drive my buddys car all the way home without a key lol
I'll admit, I thought the same thing. I did not think you could put the car in gear without the key fob being detected. I guess with it on the roof like the OP said it would have worked, but I thought in the instance you left the car running while going back inside to grab something, so long as the fob is in your pocket and not in the car I thought it wouldn't go in to gear. Don't know why I thought that, but I definitely did.

Glad to know! Sorry for the OP.
Old 05-05-15, 07:04 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,844 Likes on 2,332 Posts

It's actually an anti-valet abuse feature. If you don't surrender the key to the valet, it can be driven, parked, and not restarted until you give them the key. If they shut the car off anywhere but in a parking spot, they're busted.
Old 05-06-15, 10:41 AM
NarsISF
Rookie

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
It's actually an anti-valet abuse feature. If you don't surrender the key to the valet, it can be driven, parked, and not restarted until you give them the key. If they shut the car off anywhere but in a parking spot, they're busted.
So what's to say they dont go and take it for a little joy ride around the city before bringing it back to the parking lot to valet it...
Old 05-06-15, 06:56 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

So what's to say they dont go and take it for a little joy ride around the city before bringing it back to the parking lot to valet it...
Your odometer, for starters......
Old 05-07-15, 07:24 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AFAIK, programming a new key is one thing and deleting old keys paired to the ECU is another thing, they're different processes. Unless you requested the dealer to delete lost keys from your ECU, they still can open and start your car.

Originally Posted by Isflamez
Once they program new key, old key no longer works. They would be able to get in the car with the actual cut key but not start it.

Quick Reply: Embarrassing Story