IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

I drove a 2015 M3 yesterday.......

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-15, 04:42 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I drove a 2015 M3 yesterday.......

And I can say the car is absolutely incredible. It had the carbon fiber roof and SMG transmission 650km on the clock. It felt amazing, solid around turns at high speeds and brakes amazing, solid, solid, solid and very, very well composed. I have only driven a few higher end performance cars and this M3 takes the cake. Pumped a 2010 C63 from a roll. Now for the worst part, after getting into my F, it felt like a Honda civic with a motor swap. I know my car is 8 years old and the BMW is new but that's the best description for the feeling I had After diving the M3. Hats off to BMW for this one, it's an amazing car.
Old 05-03-15, 04:51 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Compthis
Now for the worst part, after getting into my F, it felt like a Honda civic with a motor swap.
Hmm, wow really? I mean everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but that seems outlandish to me.

That said, I'm sure the 2015 M3 is a fantastic car. In fact, I expect it to be a better driver's car than our ISF and would be really surprised if it wasn't. I've driven a lot of fun performance cars (no supercars though) and each car has its own feel and characteristics. But comparing a V8...any V8... to a swapped Civic?

Old 05-03-15, 04:58 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vbb
Hmm, wow really? I mean everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but that seems outlandish to me.

That said, I'm sure the 2015 M3 is a fantastic car. In fact, I expect it to be a better driver's car than our ISF and would be really surprised if it wasn't. I've driven a lot of fun performance cars (no supercars though) and each car has its own feel and characteristics. But comparing a V8...any V8... to a swapped Civic?

the feelings between the cars were night and day.
Old 05-03-15, 05:27 PM
silverlexg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Compthis
the feelings between the cars were night and day.
I'd imagine so - 8 years newer technology will do that, in sure the '15 rcf/gsf would feel pretty awesome too :-)

That said I'd venture to say an 8yr old lexus will still be in the shop less than that '15 m3

Lexus isn't about having the most rediculous horsepower, it's about having great power that's relaible. I wish they'd push the horsepower up more but what they do they do relibly and while the m3 is a great car I just know I'd regret it. Spend some time reading on the bmw forums and tally up the repair costs, I was seriously on the fence when I bought my F. I decided I could afford the bmw but the maintenance would bleed me dry if I drove the car. I'm a lexus fan of course, bmw people would disagree and to each there own :-) I have a 2010 F and its incurred zero time at the shop and hasn't cost me anything but has tires and oil. I doubt too many m3 owners can say that.

Last edited by silverlexg; 05-03-15 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-03-15, 05:44 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by silverlexg
I'd imagine so - 8 years newer technology will do that, in sure the '15 rcf/gsf would feel pretty awesome too :-)

That said I'd venture to say an 8yr old lexus will still be in the shop less than that '15 m3

Lexus isn't about having the most rediculous horsepower, it's about having great power that's relaible. I wish they'd push the horsepower up more but what they do they do relibly and while the m3 is a great car I just know I'd regret it. Spend some time reading on the bmw forums and tally up the repair costs, I was seriously on the fence when I bought my F. I decided I could afford the bmw but the maintenance would bleed me dry if I drove the car. I'm a lexus fan of course, bmw people would disagree and to each there own :-) I have a 2010 F and its incurred zero time at the shop and hasn't cost me anything but has tires and oil. I doubt too many m3 owners can say that.
My post wasn't regarding the maintenance of the BMW but rather the performance. I've owned a few BMWs and am fully aware of the repairs and maintenanace associated with them.
Old 05-03-15, 05:52 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

My friend has an M4. It's an incredible car and blows our cars out of the water in terms of pure power. I still think it's a little bit too wide and long though, but none the less it's a great car.

And I agree with Compthis, the feeling really is night and day. The pull in our cars can't compare to the pull in the new M3/M4.
Old 05-03-15, 06:46 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

The new m3 and m4 are great cars. Both are turbo-charged and have a wealth of aftermarket support. I hope lexus/toyota would finally allow their ecu full tuning possibilities.
Old 05-03-15, 06:57 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I love the new m4.
Old 05-03-15, 07:34 PM
jlam86
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I know what you mean. I haven't driven the new m3 or anything but my last car was an 08 x5 with the 4.8L v8. If you're talking about the pure feel and composure of the vehicles, I feel more confident whipping the x5 around than I do with the isf. The x5 felt so planted at high speeds I can only imagine what a high performance vehicle like the m3 will feel like.
Old 05-03-15, 07:43 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

They are always better dynamically. If you can handle the issues its always a better drivers car. F is a safer bet but the M is a better drivers car. If I wasnt so OCD about issues with my car I would have been a BMW owner long ago.
Old 05-03-15, 08:20 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
They are always better dynamically. If you can handle the issues its always a better drivers car. F is a safer bet but the M is a better drivers car. If I wasnt so OCD about issues with my car I would have been a BMW owner long ago.
+1, and the fact that I'm cheap and I don't want to pay for unnecessary maintenance.
Old 05-03-15, 09:59 PM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jlam86
I know what you mean. I haven't driven the new m3 or anything but my last car was an 08 x5 with the 4.8L v8. If you're talking about the pure feel and composure of the vehicles, I feel more confident whipping the x5 around than I do with the isf. The x5 felt so planted at high speeds I can only imagine what a high performance vehicle like the m3 will feel like.
My vehicle prior to my ISF was an X5M with a 4.4L twin turbo V8 they just do things a vehicle of that size shouldn't be able to do. In the end it was getting up in Milage and off warranty so I got rid of it.
Old 05-03-15, 11:20 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 667 Likes on 589 Posts

I test drove a stock m4 two days ago and drove it in sports plus everything (throttle, suspension, tranny, etc). The car handles, brakes, and accelerates very nice but when I hopped into my ISF, I still love it. Usually when I drive other cars, I hate the F but the F felt better in my opinion. Powerwise, I felt like my ISF could kick the m3's *** but I know thats not going to happen lol.

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 05-04-15, 06:35 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jlam86
You feel more confident whipping around a 2.5 ton SUV than the ISF? Your shocks must be blown on the ISF, LOL.

To the OP, nice unbiased review. This is what makes F owners unbiased and mature. I am sure the M3 felt amazing, it is brand new after all and more refined.
Old 05-04-15, 06:40 AM
jlam86
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
You feel more confident whipping around a 2.5 ton SUV than the ISF? Your shocks must be blown on the ISF, LOL.

To the OP, nice unbiased review. This is what makes F owners unbiased and mature. I am sure the M3 felt amazing, it is brand new after all and more refined.
Sounds crazy but like sylvan said, they make vehicles that size do things that they shouldn't be able to do due to the laws of physics lol

Quick Reply: I drove a 2015 M3 yesterday.......