IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

What Radar detector are you using

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-15, 01:20 PM
SatComm302
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EpikOEM
I've used my Passport 8500 X50 for 6 years now. It has worked for me most of time and saved me quite a few times. Except when the police hit me with the Laser gun. By the time, my radar detector catches that, it is too late anyways because it is a direct signal shot at my vehicle and it seems to only catch that signal when it is shot directly at me.
Originally Posted by Quadrphnia
I can speak to this exact situation with the same unit. Got lasered just this past Saturday from the oncoming lane. These are useless against laser. Luckily the cop was cool and let me off with a warning (that was a first).
Agreed. From what I can determine, using a stand-alone radar detector against laser gives you an expensive audible ticket notification device.

It appears that the best defense against tickets is using a radar detector and an anti-laser jamming device together. Unfortunately, anti-jamming laser devices are illegal in Texas.
Old 04-24-15, 03:18 PM
cciepunk
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just recently started using the Waze app as a start and found it useful, but need to pair it with a radar detector. It doesn't seem like there is a clear winner when it comes to radar detectors and will need to do some more research to pick one.
Old 04-24-15, 06:54 PM
powermungr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One properly calibrated hardwired Valentine 1.
Old 04-25-15, 06:02 AM
SatComm302
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thatnewguy
It's all in what the officer could articulate. But if that officer had been shooting laser in that spot for any amount of time that day and all of a sudden he cannot get a lock on your vehicle, that's enough to stop you and look into it more.
Maybe, but I doubt the officer would even suspect anything out of the ordinary if you have your anti-laser jamming device programmed to auto-shutoff four seconds after detecting a laser signal. After the four-second elapsed time, the officer will then be able to lock onto your vehicle and all is well. But, that four seconds gives you enough time to slow your vehicle.
Old 05-08-15, 02:38 AM
O1GS43O
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

passport9500ci here
Old 05-08-15, 10:21 AM
superfly32
Rookie

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Quick question for your jammer folks. I just picked up a 2012 ISF (long time listener, first time caller). I have a Beltronics STiR plus and was curious to see where you folks were mounting the emitters. My previous cars had an open grill design on the bumper so I could easily mount/clamp the unit without any obstructions....

Thanks!!!
Old 05-11-15, 05:48 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by superfly32
Quick question for your jammer folks. I just picked up a 2012 ISF (long time listener, first time caller). I have a Beltronics STiR plus and was curious to see where you folks were mounting the emitters. My previous cars had an open grill design on the bumper so I could easily mount/clamp the unit without any obstructions....

Thanks!!!
I relocated mine before a trip to Hilton Head this weekend. Made a huge difference in the laser protection.

Old 05-11-15, 06:27 PM
O1GS43O
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ZaxF
I relocated mine before a trip to Hilton Head this weekend. Made a huge difference in the laser protection.

where were they before?
Old 05-11-15, 07:12 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Behind the grill. I had the laser output lined up between the thatching but it wasn't getting out as well as I'd prefer.
Old 05-11-15, 07:23 PM
superfly32
Rookie

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ZaxF
Behind the grill. I had the laser output lined up between the thatching but it wasn't getting out as well as I'd prefer.

Ahhh...interesting. I was thinking of mounting it in the duct also but it didn't seem as stealthy. Are most folks sticking it behind the grills?

Thanks for the pic!
Old 05-20-15, 08:32 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm still a little confused, do the later radar detectors detect laser/lidar? like if the cop shoots Laser at you will the detector pick up on it?
Old 05-20-15, 09:46 AM
VDODSON
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had a radar detector for years, but over the past couple of months I have become interested in a laser jammer. Is there any possible way to program the jammer to transmit a message to the operator of the laser? Like a personalized message saying ''F you''?
Old 05-20-15, 10:00 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by superfly32
Ahhh...interesting. I was thinking of mounting it in the duct also but it didn't seem as stealthy. Are most folks sticking it behind the grills?

Thanks for the pic!
If you look in the grill on mine you can see how I mounted my Laser Jammer. I cut out the grill to do so. Replacement grills were $34 IIRC so it was the logical choice for me.

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
I'm still a little confused, do the later radar detectors detect laser/lidar? like if the cop shoots Laser at you will the detector pick up on it?
most newer ones will pick up laser and inform you of the ticket you just received. only way to get true protection is a good radar detector (8500IX/9500IX/ MAX(2)/ V1) and a laser jammer.
Old 05-20-15, 10:07 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
www.rdforum.org
Old 05-20-15, 10:15 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by VDODSON
I have had a radar detector for years, but over the past couple of months I have become interested in a laser jammer. Is there any possible way to program the jammer to transmit a message to the operator of the laser? Like a personalized message saying ''F you''?
No, and that wouldn't be wise either.

If you want to learn more, visit www.rdforum.org

Quick Reply: What Radar detector are you using