IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Does the Joe Z exhaust drone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-15, 09:49 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Defratos my buddy RedlineAZ had the headers and JoeZ before he sold it and we took a ride in his car and MAN that thing sound crazy. I want to say almost like a Maserati but even deeper. Pretty bad ***. Im too scared of the CEL drama to go that route
Old 07-23-15, 11:08 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Is there a fix for the drone like installing side branch resonators? I'm very interested in this exhaust but I don't want drone any louder than what the stock exhaust puts out as I'm sensitive to drone and it would drive me nuts.
My other option is a local exhaust guy can build me a cat back TIG welded exhaust that will not drone at all for $2,500. Also the other option is going with the PPE exhaust with Dual Mode Muffler but that looks like it would set me back $3k+.
Old 07-23-15, 06:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Yes the exhaust drones. All aftermarket systems will drone. Anyone who says otherwise is numb to it already . I have put 3k miles on mine so far and I love it. Bottomline is if you want an exhaust you will need to accept the inevitable drone to gain the insane roar that comes with the system. Its a trade off. Generally because our cars are still pretty well insulated and the system is a quality system the drone is not a deal breaker for 99%. I was concerned as well when I got mine, and there are some times when it drones and I dont like it but far and away the system is great and exactly what I wanted. The car finally sounds like it goes
Old 07-24-15, 09:02 PM
SoCalISF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Is there a fix for the drone like installing side branch resonators? I'm very interested in this exhaust but I don't want drone any louder than what the stock exhaust puts out as I'm sensitive to drone and it would drive me nuts.
My other option is a local exhaust guy can build me a cat back TIG welded exhaust that will not drone at all for $2,500. Also the other option is going with the PPE exhaust with Dual Mode Muffler but that looks like it would set me back $3k+.
Has your exhaust guy already fabricated a system for an F? If so did he do them in 304, or 409 stainless? I have seen a number of bada$$ exhaust guys that wouldn't want to deal with the intricacies of an F. After hanging the Joe Z system on mine, the tight quarters and the time it took to R&D these things became obvious.
Old 07-25-15, 12:15 PM
ISFalex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Joe-Z with Sikky headers drones very little. It sounds amazing.
Old 07-25-15, 06:14 PM
SoCalISF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFalex
The Joe-Z with Sikky headers drones very little. It sounds amazing.
I have found that if someone is prone to driving an F like a Grandma, and lugs the engine around at 2200 RPM, any aftermarket exhaust can be 'made' to drone. If, however, the car is driven like it was designed to be, drone is non-existent.
Old 07-25-15, 06:15 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I was very surprised when I rode with RedlineAZ . It wasnt bad at all. Im more concerned with dealing with repeated CEL's that the drone with the after market headers .
Old 07-27-15, 08:57 AM
TranV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I8ABMR.....You're in Arizona, bring it straight to PPE to install your header...shouldn't have any CEL if it's done correctly. Just got mine install for about 2 weeks now, no problem what so ever. I told myself that I'm not going to get it install but was thinking about it constantly, finally pulled the trigger and let me tell you.....it's the best mod for this car....just do it man...
Old 07-31-15, 06:24 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Yes the exhaust drones. All aftermarket systems will drone. Anyone who says otherwise is numb to it already . I have put 3k miles on mine so far and I love it. Bottomline is if you want an exhaust you will need to accept the inevitable drone to gain the insane roar that comes with the system. Its a trade off. Generally because our cars are still pretty well insulated and the system is a quality system the drone is not a deal breaker for 99%. I was concerned as well when I got mine, and there are some times when it drones and I dont like it but far and away the system is great and exactly what I wanted. The car finally sounds like it goes
I'd have to disagree that all aftermarket systems drone. Had an HKS exhaust on my 350Z that had side branch resonators to kill the resonance in the car and the exhaust did not have any drone at the lower RPM's but it was still considerably loud under load and start up. I've noticed that almost all the exhausts for the IS-F do not employ any design (twin loop or side branch resonators) to minimize drone, the exceptions being the more expensive units (PPE, GTHAUS) that utilize electronic valves to eliminate the drone. I guess I will have to listen to the JoeZ in person to determine if it's the type of drone I can deal with. I had put some custom Magnaflow mufflers on my GS350 and the drone was so bad at 2k it rattled my interior so I ended up ripping them out.
Old 07-31-15, 06:25 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SoCalISF
Has your exhaust guy already fabricated a system for an F? If so did he do them in 304, or 409 stainless? I have seen a number of bada$$ exhaust guys that wouldn't want to deal with the intricacies of an F. After hanging the Joe Z system on mine, the tight quarters and the time it took to R&D these things became obvious.
I don't think he has fabricated one for the F but if he fabricates exhausts for Porsches all day then I don't see why he would have any trouble doing it for a Lexus.