IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

DIY: Wire Harness Protector

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-15, 04:31 PM
mattbeeezy
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts
Default DIY: Wire Harness Protector

As most of you know I had problem with the dealer breaking my wire harness protector during the "ELF" recall campaign. So with the 3 week back order wait for the part Lexus of Carlsbad did come through and had sent me the replacement part. I actually had the time today so I have for you a "DIY". Sorry no videos just pictures. Also as a disclaimer: use DIY at your own risk.

Link of the original problem:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...available.html

The dealer insisted in bringing it in for them to fix it, I declined and just did it myself. Took all of 15 mins.

Parts needed:
Protector, wiring 82817-30L40
Black zip ties

Tools:
10mm socket wrench
small flat head screw driver

Picture of what the dealer did:

Here is what I did:
picture of the new part -

The installation of the bottom protector. First off you need to remove the wiring harness protector... or whats left of it. There is a total of 4, 10mm bolds that hold the wiring protector down. I actually pulled a few connectors off to give the wire harness some mobility to slide the new wiring harness protector underneth it. (2) connectors off the driver injector box and (2) other connectors from the black box on top of that one. You can see them in this picture. You may or may not have to remove more connectors to slide the new wire harness protector underneath since the protector is extremely flexible. Just make sure you watch the wires to make sure you don't sag any wires while sliding the protector underneath. If you have crappy memory, it would be best if you take pictures of everything you disconnect just to be on the safe side.

Installation of the top protector - 2pcs total.
Install the big piece in the middle first and then small piece on the left. Make sure all the wires are tucked neatly into the new wire harness protector before snapping in the top cover on. It is a PITA, I repeat a PITA to take cover off once snapped on. Plus you don't want any pinched wires. Thats pretty much it. If you have any questions PM I would be happy to help.

and a couple pictures for your viewing pleasure:

Last edited by mattbeeezy; 04-13-15 at 03:10 AM.
Old 04-12-15, 06:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

RedlineAZ had the dealer break the same part and they denied it like crazy. Now I really dont want the work done. Im in no rush.
Old 04-12-15, 06:44 PM
mattbeeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
RedlineAZ had the dealer break the same part and they denied it like crazy. Now I really dont want the work done. Im in no rush.
Yeah they really did a number on this car.... I remember him stating there was a misfire in one of his cylinders.
Old 04-12-15, 07:52 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

oh wow a lot easier job then I expected, so I'm assuming taking pictures of the exterior of the car is required in order to complete the DIY ..? (Nice Toms diffuser) hahah!

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 04-12-15, 10:21 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Nicely done. It's not rocket science like replacing the o-ring is. It's just doing the job right.
Old 04-12-15, 10:30 PM
RichFlair
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what lowering suspension are you on?
Old 04-13-15, 09:37 AM
mattbeeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by joshhleee
oh wow a lot easier job then I expected, so I'm assuming taking pictures of the exterior of the car is required in order to complete the DIY ..? (Nice Toms diffuser) hahah!
Lol of course it is

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Nicely done. It's not rocket science like replacing the o-ring is. It's just doing the job right.
Thank you sir, definitely not hard. Makes your wonder what they were doing to break it in the first place.

Originally Posted by RichFlair
what lowering suspension are you on?
BC coilovers w/ swift springs 16/12k
Old 04-13-15, 06:07 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by mattbeeezy
Yeah they really did a number on this car.... I remember him stating there was a misfire in one of his cylinders.
Yeah,he sold it . Right after tuning it all up, dropping it and getting those gorgeous Vossens.
Old 03-01-16, 08:06 PM
cardoc1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Place To Go In SF Bay Area For ELF Recall & Other Recalls

After reading some of the threads in these forums, seeing my therapist, getting drugs, spending a day in solitude, I finally got the nerve up to take my virgin 08 ISF with only 1634 miles to Magnussen Lexus in Fremont - I have seen all the horror stories of broken wiring harnesses, sensors and other damage and would not have taken the car in at all with this mileage but this F_ing State of ours (the only state I know of that does this) was holding me hostage on my registration renewal to get it done. So I am here to report I made it through this process without a scratch, broken wiring harness, broken sensor, or scar of any type. The reason for my recovery is the service writer - Dave Kaplan - he is a true Lexus enthusiast and a former tech. I also thank Monte Munoz - the service manager for the connection to Dave & the unknown technician that did the work on my car! I am a retired service writer, technician & machinist (so I know what goes on in the repair business) and have never seen someone with the kind of understanding council & service Dave provided me. So if any of you are cursed like I am caring about your vehicle - go see Dr. Dave - he can't prescribe any drugs (other than possibly an aspirin) but he will find you a cold drink (possibly a pastry), get you through the process, out of your hostage situation, mentally stable & running down the road again !!

Last edited by cardoc1; 03-01-16 at 08:19 PM. Reason: change
Old 03-01-16, 08:20 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

My dealer broke mine and told me to bring my car in so their mechanic can replace it, well I told them to give me the cover and I did it myself. Major PITA, the old cover will break into pieces so be careful, the plastic will fall everywhere and I used a combination of shop vac ensuring all those pieces are caught. Also I found it easier to slide the bottom cover in through the driver side and seat the wiring.

BTW I was shocked at the wiring when I first opened up the old cover. It was also missing two upper bolts so you might want to check that as there are four bolts.
Old 03-02-16, 05:56 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the pics and write-up. I actually need to do this myself but haven't been motivated enough with car stuff to get on it.
Old 03-02-16, 07:12 AM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

Great DIY-Thanks OP. I will be doing this soon...
Old 03-02-16, 10:51 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by cardoc1
After reading some of the threads in these forums, seeing my therapist, getting drugs, spending a day in solitude, I finally got the nerve up to take my virgin 08 ISF with only 1634 miles to Magnussen Lexus in Fremont - I have seen all the horror stories of broken wiring harnesses, sensors and other damage and would not have taken the car in at all with this mileage but this F_ing State of ours (the only state I know of that does this) was holding me hostage on my registration renewal to get it done. So I am here to report I made it through this process without a scratch, broken wiring harness, broken sensor, or scar of any type. The reason for my recovery is the service writer - Dave Kaplan - he is a true Lexus enthusiast and a former tech. I also thank Monte Munoz - the service manager for the connection to Dave & the unknown technician that did the work on my car! I am a retired service writer, technician & machinist (so I know what goes on in the repair business) and have never seen someone with the kind of understanding council & service Dave provided me. So if any of you are cursed like I am caring about your vehicle - go see Dr. Dave - he can't prescribe any drugs (other than possibly an aspirin) but he will find you a cold drink (possibly a pastry), get you through the process, out of your hostage situation, mentally stable & running down the road again !!
08 with only 1,634 miles?!

That is not even mileage that I would expect from driving it on nice days...cmon!
Old 03-02-16, 12:46 PM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Never did reply to this...

Thank you & chalk another one up that fixed himself after the bastards broke it.
Old 03-02-16, 06:50 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Quadrphnia
Never did reply to this...

Thank you & chalk another one up that fixed himself after the bastards broke it.
Honestly it's not their fault... And almost un avoidable...

Mine had 117k miles on it.. Although it was pliable from the top. As soon as they unbolted & barely moved it, it shattered in 3 places..

The more you touch it, the more it disintegrates..!!

It really is the plastic that's extremely brittle based on age, heat and climates..

Think of a piece of plastic sitting on top of nice hot oven..

Joe Z

Quick Reply: DIY: Wire Harness Protector