IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Infamous Metal ticking sound

Old 04-10-15, 08:24 PM
speeddem0n
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
sounds like a direct injected V8 motor. My LS sounded the same. I wouldnt lose any sleep over this
This. Wouldnt worry about it. I had a turbo civic si with 880c injectors and i sometimes would wonder the same thing about it lol
Old 04-10-15, 11:37 PM
seanco
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joshhleee
Ill post a clip later but im assuming the car made the noise since new.. Just never noticed it til all my mods & i got paranoid
Thanks Joshhleee.

its just nice to hear all the engines doing this. so we all know in the end that we talking about the same thing.

thanks guys for all the replies so far. im glad we should not loose an sleep over it cause thats really what was starting to happen.

Yes!! Glad to see a post about this, i was just noticing this problem in the corner of my engine closest to the drivers seat. Was going to post a thread and get some input seems like this is not a rare issue. intermittent ticking about 3 ticks a second at idle, picks and chooses when to tick. Lasts for about 4 seconds and waits for another 20 to start up again. Some days more than others. Good thread!
Mine seems to be coming from the same side (my driver side is opposite to yours im sure but when facing the front of the car its the right bank at the back near the firewall). whats causing that random clicking? is it the injectors? because its not 100% constant. click....click.............click click click click......click....... meanwhile at the same time you have the other usual sounds (injectors / lifters not sure).
Old 04-11-15, 12:01 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,837 Likes on 2,326 Posts

So first off, no, this is not normal, but yes, a lot of them (including mine) make this random ticking sound at idle. Mine does it only on cold cycle. Another member here took his to Lexus, they did what I did - replaced the drive belt and tensioner, and the sound went away. For only awhile, and for both of us. He took his back to Lexus, and they inspected and cleaned the fuel system claiming there was some kind of build up and removing it would solve the noise problem. He said it worked. I didn't get to hear the "after" so I can only say he is happy with the fix.

Since this, I have started using randomly different gasoline sources. I had been going one place pretty exclusively for a long time. I started going to QT, Shell, and Racetrac to randomize the fuel additive packages, and noticed an immediate noise reduction. I did this because I know the additive packages are often antagonisitc, and the deposits made by one brand will be removed by the detergents in another brand (and vice versa). The other thought I had was running BG44K through the fuel system as I have seen this stuff do some pretty amazing cleanup work on other engine's fuel systems, but I haven't done it yet.

The other thing I know - Yamaha builds engines with random ticks, and they will not do anything about a noise on a motorcycle engine. I had a 1984 FJ1100 that made a ticking noise from day one. I had the valves adjusted three times under warranty, and it still ticked. I rebuilt the engine, bored it out to 1200cc with factory pistons, put in new wrist pins, rings, and bearings, checked and balanced the rods, lightened the crank by 6 pounds, raised the compression from actual 9.2:1 (should have been 9.5 from the factory), to 11.25:1, put about 40 hours into porting the head and matching the manifolds, plus some other stuff unrelated to the possible noise. The ticking got worse. Much worse. But the engine made stupid power, the bike ran low 11's (11.04 best at 126 mph with me at 210 lbs riding at Sac Raceway), and it never broke. Ever. I rebuilt a 1988 FJ1200 while working at a shop building race engines, and it made the exact same random ticking sound under the same conditions (the engines are the same except for bore).

So, I have come to believe Yamaha builds engines with random ticking noises under certain conditions, and I've seen it too many times in the field to believe otherwise.

In the end, try changing your brand of fuel, or try a fuel system cleaner like BG44K, and I bet the noise will disappear in the ticking of the direct injectors.
Old 04-11-15, 12:35 PM
caveman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine has made the random ticking noise since day one 2.5 years ago. Havent noticed the car running differently, so I've just ignored it this whole time.
Old 04-11-15, 02:07 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm getting this over here in the UK as well guys.

Finally got my Seibon TS2 vented carbon hood fitted today.

Interestingly the ticking is louder with the new hood.

Sounds like it's pretty normal thankfully!
Old 04-13-15, 04:28 PM
runyonwc
Driver School Candidate

I also had the ticking noise. Mine seemed to come from the driver's side and after the engine was good and hot. I took it to my dealer last year and they adjusted the driver's side valves to the low end of the spec. They had to talk to the Lexus engineers to find out what to do. Since the adjustment I haven't noticed the same random ticking as before. Recently I had the passenger side valves adjusted for more of a loose valve/rocker arm noise. The passenger side was also shimmed to the low side of the spec and my engine seems quieter now.

Not sure if any of this was a "real" problem or just a little extra noise though.
Old 04-13-15, 05:08 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Valve noise should never be random. I would be worried if adjusting the valves fixed a random noise.
Old 04-13-15, 06:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Both my V8 Lexus motors do this ( LS460 and ISF)and every ISF I looked at when shopping for Fs did this. . In fact I would like someone to post a video of an F that doesn't make this noise. lol, Its absolutely normal in my experience and according to the techs I have mentioned it to its the injectors or is in my cars. Even based on your Yamaha experience its still nothing to worry about. It is the nature of the beast so to speak. It is what it is
Old 04-13-15, 08:41 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Both my V8 Lexus motors do this ( LS460 and ISF)and every ISF I looked at when shopping for Fs did this. . In fact I would like someone to post a video of an F that doesn't make this noise. lol, Its absolutely normal in my experience and according to the techs I have mentioned it to its the injectors or is in my cars. Even based on your Yamaha experience its still nothing to worry about. It is the nature of the beast so to speak. It is what it is
Mine never made this sound until about 75k miles, so yes, I've not heard this noise for a very long time, and I don't believe it is normal at all.
Old 04-19-15, 11:33 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I got a can of BG44K and put it in the tank with the last fill up almost a week ago. The random ticking noise at idle on cold cycle has disappeared. I suspect it is something in the HPFP valves making this noise when they get a little dirty. BG44k is not cheap at nearly $20 a can, but I know it works better than any other injector cleaner I have used.

If the noise comes back, I'll update this thread.
Old 04-20-15, 04:08 AM
seanco
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I got a can of BG44K and put it in the tank with the last fill up almost a week ago. The random ticking noise at idle on cold cycle has disappeared. I suspect it is something in the HPFP valves making this noise when they get a little dirty. BG44k is not cheap at nearly $20 a can, but I know it works better than any other injector cleaner I have used.

i have 2 cans of BG44K on order. Should be delivered today or tomorrow. will be posting if this makes any difference to the sound i have, might take some time to run that through my tank as i don't do huge amounts of traveling.

Originally Posted by runyonwc
I also had the ticking noise. Mine seemed to come from the driver's side and after the engine was good and hot. I took it to my dealer last year and they adjusted the driver's side valves to the low end of the spec. They had to talk to the Lexus engineers to find out what to do. Since the adjustment I haven't noticed the same random ticking as before. Recently I had the passenger side valves adjusted for more of a loose valve/rocker arm noise. The passenger side was also shimmed to the low side of the spec and my engine seems quieter now.

Not sure if any of this was a "real" problem or just a little extra noise though.
did the Dealership pull your engine to gain access for this job? the dealerships in my area seem to think the engine must be dropped in order to do anything on the valves due to space.
Old 04-20-15, 07:22 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Every Lexus I have had has been direct injected ( GS350, LS460, and ISF) and they all sound the same. If you really want to hear it just pull into a drive thru for a burger. You will hear it like crazy. The V8s have more injectors and will tick louder.
LMAO!!! So much this!! Every time I go thru a drive thru, I hear that damn sound LOUD. Glad to see it's just the V8 under the hood getting bored.
Old 04-20-15, 07:25 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Mine never made this sound until about 75k miles, so yes, I've not heard this noise for a very long time, and I don't believe it is normal at all.

Well damn it. That kind of takes the gusto out of my previous post! LOL

I'll check out that BG44K you mentioned, and take some before and after vids.
Old 04-20-15, 10:47 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 666 Likes on 589 Posts

All I can hear is my stupid exhaust, nothing else LOL.( at a drive thru)

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 04-27-15, 10:34 PM
seanco
Driver School Candidate

Good morning,

just a quick post to follow up. put in a can of BG44K and about half a tank later. no changes in that ticking sound yet. still the same conditions, cold start is fine and as then engine gets to operating temps it audible again.

seems to not be related to fueling for me. i had a mechanic recommend something called Prolong engine treatment. he says add that to the current oil (which is new) and if the sound goes away it confirms a noisy lifter. this is after he listened and said its a lifter ticking. he explained it like this, when the engine is cold the oil is thicker and the sound is not there, when its hotter its thinner and the ticking sound comes in.

does that sound correct and will adding that treatment to my oil cause issues with something else. i would like to try it and see if the ticking stops

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Infamous Metal ticking sound