IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Someone stole my F ing wheels!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-15, 10:22 AM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dannyk8232
...It seems interesting to me that you had recently placed an order for the wheel lock key for those obscure, pricey rims just prior to them being jacked. Was the key shipped to your home address?
It wasn't recent, it was back when I bought the car in 2010. And the manufacturer I ordered the replacement key from had no idea that it was for a set of really expensive wheels, I could've had the locks on a set of stockers for all they know.
Old 03-20-15, 10:26 AM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VDODSON
I hate North Dakota, but the one thing I will admit about this place is that its safe. Folks leave their cars running while in stores, and crime is extremely low. If I was back in Chandler AZ I would definitely invest in a home alarm unit, and carry my 1911 everywhere, as well as in the car and maybe even a pop up shotgun concealed in my couch. Sorry this happened to you, hope things work out.
Great idea!!
Old 03-20-15, 10:50 AM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jleonard71
And thanks for all the support and feedback from everyone, it feels good to hear thoughts and experiences from others. It's not even the theft that gets me, I honestly couldn't care less about the wheels or any other physical possessions, it's the fact that I had a gun pointed at me in my own home which has completely uprooted my sense of security in the one place where one should be able to feel secure. I've been kind of keeping this all inside not talking about it much, aside from with close family and a few friends, and I think talking about in a public forum is actually helping - especially in realizing that I'm not alone, stuff like this (or worse) has happened to many other people before and they turned out just fine.
It sucks to hear about the theft and the violation of your security and privacy, that's no fun at all.

I'm sure you're well aware that no matter the cost of the wheels, car or even your house, none of it is worth your life or the life of your family. All material things can be replaced, you and your family cannot!

Sounds like you've upped your security and now gone to great lengths to feel secure, but it's good to keep in mind that this is an isolated incident and (hopefully) not the norm.
Old 03-20-15, 11:06 AM
Scott610
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts

Just a suggestion look up blackvue 650 2 ch might be helpful it's a car dash camera
Old 03-20-15, 01:42 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Beachtyme
It sucks to hear about the theft and the violation of your security and privacy, that's no fun at all.

I'm sure you're well aware that no matter the cost of the wheels, car or even your house, none of it is worth your life or the life of your family. All material things can be replaced, you and your family cannot!

Sounds like you've upped your security and now gone to great lengths to feel secure, but it's good to keep in mind that this is an isolated incident and (hopefully) not the norm.
Yeah, I keep telling myself that they were only after my wheels and it's unlikely that they'll ever be back. But at the same time, I know the statistics say that people who get robbed once and the thieves get away with it are something like 10x more likely to get robbed again (compared to if you were never robbed in the first place).
Old 03-25-15, 12:03 PM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts

That's horrible to hear... You should look into Dropcams, they are WiFi cameras that you can place anywhere. You can set them up for motion triggered photos that automatically save the photos and email you to notify you something is going on almost live.

Also you can download their app and live monitor it from your phone and even talk into your phone which will project your voice through the webcam. So you can keep yourself safe by saying the police are on the way, and that keeps you out of harms way.
Old 03-25-15, 07:30 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ModInJapan
That's horrible to hear... You should look into Dropcams, they are WiFi cameras that you can place anywhere. You can set them up for motion triggered photos that automatically save the photos and email you to notify you something is going on almost live.

Also you can download their app and live monitor it from your phone and even talk into your phone which will project your voice through the webcam. So you can keep yourself safe by saying the police are on the way, and that keeps you out of harms way.
Thanks for the info. I actually already got a dozen cameras installed around the perimeter of the house, and they are IP cameras that record to a local server which is backed up to a cloud storage drive (in case thieves break in and steal the PC!). And they have motion sensors that trigger the recording and also alert me via text whenever there is motion outside between 8pm-7am, and the entire rest of the day they record on any motion. The cameras I got are Hikvision and I can't say enough good things about them, they are extremely easy to set up, the video quality is amazing (3MP which is 50% better than 1080p), and they are priced well at around $120/ea!. They have made a HUGE improvement on our sense of security in the home because we know that we'll be alerted if anyone comes within about 50 feet of the house, and we can also pull up the app on the phone or tablet at any time and see the entire perimeter of the house & all the way down the street.
Old 03-25-15, 07:39 PM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Terrible story

Last edited by Sylvan; 03-25-15 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-25-15, 09:26 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

In happier news, I finally bought some new wheels and they'll be here on Friday. Went with the WedsSport SA67-R in gunmetal finish. Time to get this baby off jack stands and back on the road!!

Old 03-25-15, 09:28 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Thanks for the info. I actually already got a dozen cameras installed around the perimeter of the house, and they are IP cameras that record to a local server which is backed up to a cloud storage drive (in case thieves break in and steal the PC!). And they have motion sensors that trigger the recording and also alert me via text whenever there is motion outside between 8pm-7am, and the entire rest of the day they record on any motion. The cameras I got are Hikvision and I can't say enough good things about them, they are extremely easy to set up, the video quality is amazing (3MP which is 50% better than 1080p), and they are priced well at around $120/ea!. They have made a HUGE improvement on our sense of security in the home because we know that we'll be alerted if anyone comes within about 50 feet of the house, and we can also pull up the app on the phone or tablet at any time and see the entire perimeter of the house & all the way down the street.
Your faith in technology is frightening. I work in IT security. Probably don't need to tell you about all the possible ways your system could be hacked. Anything connected to the Internet is asking for trouble.
Old 03-25-15, 09:43 PM
JaponesV8
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great idea!!
What part of the Valley you in?
Old 03-26-15, 06:03 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JaponesV8
Southeast.
Old 03-26-15, 06:04 PM
JaponesV8
Driver

Southeast.
Damn that sucks. Wasn't expected that area.....guess it could happen anywhere!
Old 03-27-15, 07:43 AM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

What part of the Valley are YOU in?!
Old 03-27-15, 01:29 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Damn that sucks. Wasn't expected that area.....guess it could happen anywhere!
Yeah, it's generally a pretty safe area. Although I do live about 10 mins from downtown Chandler which is a pretty sketchy area, and the cops told me that thieves from that area have been migrating down towards where I live since the scores are generally much bigger than what they can get from the homes right around them. Plus there is a lot less police presence in this area so there is less likelihood of them getting caught in the act. I can see why, it took the cops about 10 minutes to respond to my phone call about seeing a guy in my yard with a gun - and I live about 1.5 miles from the substation for this area! I've never had to call the cops before so I don't know if that's a reasonable amount of time or not, but it felt like FOREVER since I had no idea what they were up to or if they were going to try to get into the house or what.

Last edited by jleonard71; 03-27-15 at 01:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Someone stole my F ing wheels!!