IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Paddle Shifters - Carbon version not working?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-15, 04:19 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Paddle Shifters - Carbon version not working?!

Hey Guys,

So I bought the carbon paddle shifters that Khoa was selling from the first carbon steering wheel he got.

Having already replaced my OEM steering wheel with the flat-bottomed version, I was familiar with the process for removing what I needed to change the shifters over.

Everything went fine, and after checking all the connections were good, I re-installed the steering wheel, re-connected the battery, and took the car for a test-drive.

At first I left the car in auto, and tried using the paddles. Nothing.

Flicked the shifter over to manual-mode, and it popped up I was in 4th. Tried shifting with the paddles to go up or down, but nothing?!

I was short for time, so had to leave it like that for a few days.

I then removed the wheel again, and re-installed my OEM silver shifters.

Took the car out for another test-drive, and it works fine.

Khoa was kind enough to speak to the guys that sell these along with the very nice steering wheels everyone is talking about.

They suggested I swap over the paddles so I keep the electrics of my OEM shifters. The paddles themselves are only held in with a gudgeon pin, which tapped out quite easily. The paddle itself slots in to a hole in a metal piece inside the plastic end pieces.

Looks as if it simply moves up and down when you flick the paddle front or backwards.

I mounted the carbon paddles into my OEM electrics, and tapped the gudgeon pins back into place. I then re-assembled the steering wheel, check the connections, and re-installed the wheel.

Re-connected the battery and took the car for a test-drive with everything firmly crossed.

Nothing!

The paddles won't work at all. Not up or down.

I am so confused as to why they don't work.

I can't see any differences between the OEM silver paddles and the carbon versions.

Not sure what my next move will be.

Guess I need to try putting the OEM paddles back together, and see if they work.

If they do, I am baffled as to what the fundamental difference can be between the two?!

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions from the more electrically minded on here?!

Cheers.

Peter
Old 03-16-15, 04:44 AM
roswell
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear this, I also ordered the CF paddle shifter from the same seller... I hope they will work. Report if you find a fix.
Old 03-16-15, 05:43 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by roswell
Sorry to hear this, I also ordered the CF paddle shifter from the same seller... I hope they will work. Report if you find a fix.
Will do.

I did consider the possibility my UK model might have different shifters to the US model, but the fact I am using the UK electrics/connections, means it should now work?!

I'll have to have another look over them to see if I can see anything else that's different.

I should add Khoa has been a massive help, and has offered to get another set if I can't make them work.

Will update when I know more.
Old 03-16-15, 06:52 AM
roswell
Pole Position

Yeah, Khoa has been very helpful to me too when I needed answers to my questions.
Old 03-16-15, 07:54 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Did you test the functionality of the stick when the paddles did not work?

The paddles operate simple two pole switches. The paddle switches are in parallel with the switch on the shifter, so if the shifter works, the paddles should work unless the switches are not being actuated by the carbon pieces. This is pretty simple to check with a meter before you assemble everything. It sounds like there is a subtle mechanical difference between the carbon paddles and the magnesium paddles.
Old 03-16-15, 09:19 AM
SuprFleaJQ
Driver

Hmm, you know... I never did test my carbon shifters. Like Khoa, I preferred the contrast with the stock shifters so I installed the stock ones upon getting my wheel.

Now it makes me wonder if mine don't work as well? Hmm.. And it's been a while since I bought my wheel now.
Old 03-16-15, 09:45 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Did you test the functionality of the stick when the paddles did not work?

The paddles operate simple two pole switches. The paddle switches are in parallel with the switch on the shifter, so if the shifter works, the paddles should work unless the switches are not being actuated by the carbon pieces. This is pretty simple to check with a meter before you assemble everything. It sounds like there is a subtle mechanical difference between the carbon paddles and the magnesium paddles.
I didn't, but I will now.

Thanks for the heads up.

Will let you know what happens when I test the stick functionality.

Will probably be this Saturday.
Old 03-16-15, 12:26 PM
roswell
Pole Position

Very strange that u are using oem hardware & still doesn't work. The CF shell & oem shell should be the same.. I mean we can blame on the electronic connections but hard to understand why the CF shell doesn't work with the oem connections.

Last edited by roswell; 03-16-15 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-16-15, 02:16 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

I guess the question is does anyone have a working set of these shifters installed on their IS-F?

Wonder if the magnesium passes a current or something? Maybe that's why the carbon won't work?!

I'm tempted to try the electrical parts from the carbon paddles on the magnesium ones.

If that works, it's the carbon paddles that are causing the issue.
Old 03-16-15, 02:44 PM
roswell
Pole Position

^^ I was just going to suggest that. Lol

If the CF doesn't cut it on our car's paddles, I prefer not to order the paddles.
Old 03-16-15, 02:52 PM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Long shot - but maybe the CF paddles are flexing and not actually creating enough force to cause the shift (actuate the connection). I know with the stock paddles the effort required is minimal, maybe you need to pull a little harder on the CF?
Old 03-16-15, 03:05 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

No, there was a guy who had his paddle shifters removed and sent it over sea to had the carbon fiber done and worked flawlessly. The paddles of you guys are getting with the steering wheel are from ISX50 so there are differences design and texture, shape too .
Old 03-16-15, 03:14 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

hopefully you find a solution to this, sick paddles!

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 03-16-15, 03:15 PM
roswell
Pole Position

^^ wow, I didn't know the paddles are from an IS350?

Edit: from looking at the picture again, they look very similar to the paddles on my ISF

Last edited by roswell; 03-16-15 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-16-15, 03:16 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

I gathered these weren't genuine IS-F paddles.

Question is does that make enough difference for them not to work??

Just wondering if any IS-F owner actually has a set of these non-IS-F paddles in carbon, working correctly on their car??

Quick Reply: Paddle Shifters - Carbon version not working?!