IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

08-09 doesn't have LSD right?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-15, 07:02 AM
Ltaboso
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 08-09 doesn't have LSD right?

Yesterday when i changed my wheels,as the mechanic was tightening up the wheel bolts on the rear driver side (while the car was on jack stands),the rear left wheel was rotating as he turns the wheel on the other side...im the second owner of my isf and the car was equipped with sikky headers and joe z intake tube, i just want to confirm if what i saw was a sign of having LSD or this happens even the car has no LSD...
TIA
Old 03-10-15, 07:05 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the wheel will rotate on the other side but its the direction the wheel rotates.

with an Open the wheels will turn in opposite directions of eachother, IIRC with a torsen it will still do the same.

The wheels will turn the same way at the same time if the car has a clutch type LSD in the car.

no 08-09 came factory with a torsen or clutch type differential.
Old 03-10-15, 07:06 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

08-09 did not have LSD, but an open diff
Old 03-10-15, 07:32 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

The 08-09 came with Electronic LSD. It works fine but not as effective on track. When i bought mines, i specifically wanted electronic lsd. Why? I don't track my car and I like the idea of not replacing the differential fluid every 60k miles. If i wanted a torsen lsd, i could always add it in later.
Old 03-10-15, 08:34 AM
Ltaboso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
08-09 did not have LSD, but an open diff
Would an open diff still rotate both wheels?

So 08-09s were equipped wih either a torsen or an open diff?

Open diff=no LSD,will not rotate other wheel
torsen LSD= will rotate the other wheel opposite direction?
Old 03-10-15, 08:47 AM
KLexus50
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ltaboso
Would an open diff still rotate both wheels?
Yes. If you put the car up on a lift and rotate one of the rear wheels, the opposite wheel will rotate in the opposite direction.

Originally Posted by Ltaboso
So 08-09s were equipped wih either a torsen or an open diff?
All 08-09s were equipped with open differentials. They used electronics/abs to simulate the effects of an LSD.
Old 03-10-15, 08:51 AM
Ltaboso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KLexus50
Yes. If you put the car up on a lift and rotate one of the rear wheels, the opposite wheel will rotate in the opposite direction.

All 08-09s were equipped with open differentials. They used electronics/abs to simulate the effects of an LSD.
Got it,thanks
Old 03-10-15, 09:51 AM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Wink The Third Thing I would Do

I have a 2011 SFP, but If I had either an 08 or 09, the third thing I would add to it would be an OS Giken clutch type differential. The car, I believe, needs it.

You never know, but maybe the previous owner added it. I would have and I don't have much to spend on it.

A good way to tell is to put one rear wheel on a solid surface and try to turn the opposite wheel by hand while it is off the ground. Another, is to pound on the car from a standing start while going in a straight line. Two black and evenly applied rubber streaks mean that both rear tires were hooking at the same time.

Having both rear tires off the ground and turning in the same direction also works but I've had it fool me once.

Loren,
Old 03-10-15, 10:14 AM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Just so you're clear 08-09 is an open diff.

The interesting thing is, when the car is on a hoist and you rotate one wheel, the opposite wheel rotates in the SAME direction. I noticed this in my IS350 also. Not sure how open the diff really is.
Old 03-10-15, 10:43 AM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

^ I experienced the same thing, I'll be installing a giken lsd soon so I can post pics of what is coming out of my car (08 model)
Old 03-10-15, 11:25 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

None .......its the weak link on the track for earlier cars. Less corner exit speed when pushed hard
Old 03-10-15, 12:30 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Justind27
^ I experienced the same thing, I'll be installing a giken lsd soon so I can post pics of what is coming out of my car (08 model)
Weren't you the one who bought the used OS Giken Super Lock LSD from Mikellucci? If so, did you get a chance to convert the differential from a 2-way to a 1.5-way? That specific unit was originally tuned for competition drifting in Formula D.
Old 03-10-15, 12:42 PM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

It still bothers me that Lexus/Toyota would build a beast of a car, only to hinder it by not giving it a real LSD to begin with. Many critics criticized the car from the get go. So even when they did install a real LSD after 09, nobody cared to reevaluate the ISF.
If I remember correctly, someone here on this forum mentioned the ISF w/ torsen LSD tracked a few seconds faster than the 08-09 ISF around Fuji Speedway. That to me says a lot, considering the "F" in IS-F and "F"-sport stands for Fuji Speedway...and supposedly the F symbol is designed after turn 1 at Fuji Speedway. This car was specifically designed on and for that track.
Old 03-10-15, 12:49 PM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Fsport2UR
It still bothers me that Lexus/Toyota would build a beast of a car, only to hinder it by not giving it a real LSD to begin with. Many critics criticized the car from the get go. So even when they did install a real LSD after 09, nobody cared to reevaluate the ISF.
If I remember correctly, someone here on this forum mentioned the ISF w/ torsen LSD tracked a few seconds faster than the 08-09 ISF around Fuji Speedway. That to me says a lot, considering the "F" in IS-F and "F"-sport stands for Fuji Speedway...and supposedly the F symbol is designed after turn 1 at Fuji Speedway. This car was specifically designed on and for that track.
you are correct, the MY2010+ goes around 2 seconds faster than an MY08-09
Old 03-10-15, 03:04 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fsport2UR
Just because it doesn't have a real LSD doesn't mean it can't be fast, some real advanced cars use E-LSD and does so very well..

Some includes the Ferrari 458, McLaren P1 and also in the new Corvette C7's

Quick Reply: 08-09 doesn't have LSD right?