IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Dealer Road Tested My IsF

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-15, 04:29 PM
AggieOne
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineAZ
Man, thats a little harsh don't you think? When I caught the dealer doing some crazy things on my dash cam, and insulting my wife and I...My first words with the service manager was that I didn't want anyone to lose their job over it but rather be used as a learning tool to avoid future issues. Although it angers us that these things happen, I bet a brief suspension without pay or a write up would scare him enough to avoid doing anything like that again. No harm no foul. We've all made mistakes in life, some to a higher extent then others, but ultimately we were given second chances to learn from mistakes or never caught to begin with. I would hate to see someone lose a job over something that irritated me but in the grand scheme of things didn't financially or physically cost me anything.

Again, speaking from experience with my dealer I reiterated that I will make the video viral if they fire the tech(s), and that I would like the tech to know that its not okay and to use it as a lesson learned that sometimes there's eyes out there and to not make the same mistake again. God forbid that someone uses a mistake we make in our places of work to cost us a potential career or job over something that could've been resolved (potentially) with a slap on the wrist.
I did not ask for the tech to be dismissed. All I told the service manager is that a tech had driven my car without regard to safety and personal property car care. The management of the dealership did what they did without any input from me as it should be.

Last edited by AggieOne; 03-16-15 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-16-15, 05:15 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

driving 120mph on a feeder shouldnt be a terminable offense? Imagine the type of hell the dealer would have to go through if he had hurt himself or another person. I agree with the dealer's decision. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Old 03-16-15, 05:40 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

unfortunately no one has respect anymore for ones personal things. He definitely put his life at risk, your car , and the dealer if it came down to a legal matter. this is why we all hate bringing our car to the dealer. Who knows what the hell there doing and this is just a prime example of carelessness and stupidity
Old 03-16-15, 08:19 PM
got556
Rookie

Originally Posted by tmf2004
unfortunately no one has respect anymore for ones personal things. He definitely put his life at risk, your car , and the dealer if it came down to a legal matter. this is why we all hate bringing our car to the dealer. Who knows what the hell there doing and this is just a prime example of carelessness and stupidity
Agreed, look at the recent Subaru dealership that had an employee with a less than stellar criminal background take a customer's car to run errands and subsequently wrecked it. Then the dealer wanted to play hard ball with the customer. It all started on AR15.com (another forum I frequent) and then by the time it got to NASIOC it was viral. I'm guessing the OP's dealer wants no part of an experience like that.
Old 03-16-15, 08:53 PM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

Trust me, I understand first hand how frustrating it is to see your dealer bash on your car, your wife, or yourself all captured on camera...but that being said, if you are after gain at the expense of someone else's mistake costing them a career, its a little vindictive (again, I know it wasn't intentional, but it could have been approached a little differently). I know another guy on here got an extended warranty out of it, but at the end of the day your car is ok (thank God), no one was hurt, and life went on as normal. I would be and WAS extremely annoyed myself. Yes we can all throw around the "what ifs" and the "could'ves" but fact is he didn't wreck it or ruin it (again very fortunate). You could still approach it like I did and specifically let them know you brought your car in and this happened, and that you would like it to be used as a training tool but specifically request no one loses their job. I had 3 people that could've been fired over my incident, including a master tech and a service advisor of over 20 years, along with a brand new trainee. I am sure if you feel the least bit convicted about this guy getting fired, you can ask the service manager to give him a second chance in exchange for anything else he was going to do for you.

I may be alone in my thoughts on this. I am all about not getting hotdogs when you order a steak, and getting what you pay for, or standing up for whats right...but this situation is a little different. I guess I am thinking about it from the flip side of things, if I was on the other side of the camera and finally got to road test my dream car. I don't think theres a single one of us that haven't driven a friend or family members sports car a little more spirited then we should've.
Old 03-16-15, 09:30 PM
FMYLIFE
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealer made a decision they thought was best for their business and reputation, both currently and in the future. The OP did not lobby for them to fire the tech. I'm not sure why you're making this a big deal.

The tech has probably done this numerous times before. Let one tech do it and now it's a free for all for every other tech at that dealer.
Old 03-16-15, 09:35 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by FMYLIFE
The dealer made a decision they thought was best for their business and reputation, both currently and in the future. The OP did not lobby for them to fire the tech. I'm not sure why you're making this a big deal. The tech has probably done this numerous times before. Let one tech do it and now it's a free for all for every other tech at that dealer.
I agree with this. it was up to the dealer to make there decision and came to the conclusion that this particular employee was not an asset to the company and a liability
Old 03-17-15, 04:56 AM
Jattalax
Driver School Candidate

Default Car is more important than someone's livelihood?

So you cost this person their job over a car? Goes to show what kind of world we are living in...where material possessions are held at a higher level than human beings. A better course of action would have been to have a personal conversation with the person and a friendly...hey I saw what you did or something to that effect. I personally wouldn't care all that much about them taking it for a spirited short drive. If there is an accident then they will have to pay for it. I know every time I get a chance I drive it like it is meant to be driven. It is a car and it won't last forever. I enjoy it while I have it but if something happens to it..oh well. I'll get a another one as long as I have a means to do so (a job). Have some compassion. You car is not more important than someone's job. Maybe you will need someone to have that same compassion for you one day. The world is round and all is a cycle whatever you do to today someone will do to you tomorrow.
Old 03-17-15, 05:20 AM
YotaLex
Driver

Originally Posted by Jattalax
So you cost this person their job over a car? Goes to show what kind of world we are living in...
With all respect, OP didn't cost the tech a job.... THE TECH caused himself the job.

If I recall from the beginning of this post he said HE DIDNT want the guy to lose his job. Don't bash the man.... he did what he thought was right

YL
Old 03-17-15, 05:52 AM
Jattalax
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by YotaLex
With all respect, OP didn't cost the tech a job.... THE TECH caused himself the job.

If I recall from the beginning of this post he said HE DIDNT want the guy to lose his job. Don't bash the man.... he did what he thought was right

YL
He had to have some idea this might potentially result in this person losing their job. If you agree with someone losing their job over this, then I hope at some point in life you come to a point where you realize what is really important in life. I am not about to take part in this crap parade anymore that often takes place on the Internet on forums. That is why I mostly read and not post but I felt compelled to with this because someone had to say something. This was clearly the wrong way to handle that situation and it will come back to him one day. Its just a car..get over it. It means nothing when you don't have food to eat and place to lay your head. This the part of car culture I dislike...when people take their cars too seriously. Free yourself from the chains of materialism before it is too late. Holding on to it is like trying to grasp hold of the wind. I've said what I came to say...the Internet can have its crap parade back. Salute to those who know what is really important...not some silly car. Own the car don't let it own you. I do own an ISF and I enjoy the hell out of it but screw this car if I have to chose between my morals and it.
Old 03-17-15, 05:56 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess not many people here have managed employees before. I'm sure a Lexus dealership has strict policies about joyrides, and I'm sure this tech went through counseling before being fired. I don't know why people question the OP when what he did was absolutely right.
Old 03-17-15, 06:09 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jattalax
So you cost this person their job over a car? Goes to show what kind of world we are living in...where material possessions are held at a higher level than human beings. A better course of action would have been to have a personal conversation with the person and a friendly...hey I saw what you did or something to that effect. I personally wouldn't care all that much about them taking it for a spirited short drive. If there is an accident then they will have to pay for it. I know every time I get a chance I drive it like it is meant to be driven. It is a car and it won't last forever. I enjoy it while I have it but if something happens to it..oh well. I'll get a another one as long as I have a means to do so (a job). Have some compassion. You car is not more important than someone's job. Maybe you will need someone to have that same compassion for you one day. The world is round and all is a cycle whatever you do to today someone will do to you tomorrow.
so a techs reckless joyride should be above safety, a dealers liability, reputation, and customer service. You know this is an arrestable offense that can impound the car, a car that doesnt belong to him. I dont think you realize the potential hell the dealer would have to go through if this guy got pulled over or god forbid actually hurt someone doing this. Dealer has their own policies against joyriding and reckless behavior while on the clock, and im sure this tech violated multiple policies.

nice first post btw
Old 03-17-15, 06:19 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

The tech should've thouhght about it before driving the car at that rate of speed. He took that risk...oh well.
jattalax maybe ur the tech that took for the joy ride...
Old 03-17-15, 07:54 AM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

I agree with Jattalax 100%. It COULD have been handled differently. "Those that are without sin cast the first stone", a familiar quote that comes to mind in this situation. Which of you hasn't driven above the speed limit in your car or someone else's? It really does suck to think that someone lost a career, over something like this. Not downplay the situation, but no one was harmed (despite what could've happened), and I bet by the guy admitting fault it wasn't because he was trying to get out of trouble, but by genuinely realizing his actions were wrong and feeling remorse about it. I bet a slap on the wrist would've spared that guy his job and he would've learned a valuable lesson, no harm no foul.

I assure you, in some way or form, all of us have made a bad decision that could've cost us our own lives, someone else's (for example texting and driving or speeding on the freeway, some do it every day), or broke the rules at work, or made a bad decision that could've cost you or someone a ton of money. In every complaint against a persons performance, make a decision before hand about how to approach it in a manner that will achieve the best outcome without costing someone a job over it. Hopefully in the future more people would think with their hearts instead of their pockets.
Old 03-17-15, 08:03 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

it is the dealers call since they are employing the tech, this trying to blame the OP crap for the tech losing their job is nonsense. The tech lost himself the job. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. This is not going 10 over the speed limit, this is easily 70+ mph over the limit WHILE ON THE CLOCK. This is arrestable, thrown in jail, and car impounded offense. The dealer is liable for what happens while the tech is on the clock. If this tech wiped out and creamed someone, its one huge lawsuit. The fact that it didnt happen isnt an excuse to keep the tech around. No doubt the tech violated multiple corporate policies which are grounds for termination.

Would some of you feel comfortable going back to the same dealer that didn't fire a tech that acted like this? What kind of message does that send to your customers? I would never return to that dealer if that was their resolution. Lexus Corporate would have a field day on this dealer it escalated that high. That is way too much BS for a dealership to deal with and future risk by keeping a tech like that around. Put yourself in the dealership's management shoes.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 03-17-15 at 08:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Dealer Road Tested My IsF