IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

for those who have drag wheels,track wheels & winter,how do you deal w/ TPMS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-15, 07:29 AM
Ltaboso
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default for those who have drag wheels,track wheels & winter,how do you deal w/ TPMS?

Im researching for the perfect size 18" wheels...i dont know if ill transfer the tpms valves or deal with CEL....
could the techstream turn off the tpms function?
Old 03-04-15, 07:35 AM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

no TPMS wont cause a CEL, just the annoying tire pressure low light

techstream cannot turn it off
Old 03-04-15, 07:37 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'd just have a flashing light. You can't turn the warning off with techstream, but if you have OE-style sensors you can use it to get the car to recognize them. Some aftermarket sensors (ITM specifically) don't come pre-programmed with a broadcast ID and need a special tool to program. You can also have two sets programmed and swap between them using the dash display menu.
Old 03-04-15, 07:59 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

I run 18" winters with no TPMS. The TPMS light stays on all the time, other than that no issues.
Old 03-04-15, 08:23 AM
STLblueF
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I also have 18" winter tires and no TPMS. Be warned that besides just the yellow TPMS light, you will also have a red "!" light and your display functions are limited because the display will go back to "Check System". So had I known it was those three things and not simply the yellow tpms light, I would have just bought another set of TPMS sensors when I bought the wheels / tires.

I feel like at this point it's not worth adding them in until I need another set of winter tires, so I doubt I will ever do it. Otherwise, would need to de-mount, swap the valve stems, re-mount tire, balance tire, program TPMS to vehicle.
Old 03-04-15, 09:03 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We just drove the car during the winter months with the stupid warning light on. even had it in the dealer for service during that time. They did not care and neither did we. In the spring, throw the stockers back on and light goes away, no problem.
Old 03-04-15, 09:49 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

you can get a set of TPMS sensors from discount tire for $140. Then toggle through the menu with the switch on the lft of the steering wheel to switch from one set to the other. This way no light and you will actually be able to monitor pressure correctly and not have a light on the dash
Old 03-04-15, 09:57 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Originally Posted by STLblueF
I also have 18" winter tires and no TPMS. Be warned that besides just the yellow TPMS light, you will also have a red "!" light and your display functions are limited because the display will go back to "Check System". So had I known it was those three things and not simply the yellow tpms light, I would have just bought another set of TPMS sensors when I bought the wheels / tires.

I feel like at this point it's not worth adding them in until I need another set of winter tires, so I doubt I will ever do it. Otherwise, would need to de-mount, swap the valve stems, re-mount tire, balance tire, program TPMS to vehicle.
Interesting, mine only has the yellow low tire light. Everything else is perfectly normal. Mine is a 2012 Canadian car
Old 03-04-15, 10:46 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just took some 3" PVC pipe and PVC caps added a shrader valve one end, glue all together with the old TPMS sensors inside and air up to the proper pressure and leave in the trunk.

I have wheels that do not use TPMS so this is my way around them for full time use.
Old 03-04-15, 11:11 AM
STLblueF
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by newgsman
Interesting, mine only has the yellow low tire light. Everything else is perfectly normal. Mine is a 2012 Canadian car
Mine is a 2008. Not sure if the difference in the gauge cluster would be the point that this change occurs.
Old 03-04-15, 11:12 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

I have a seperate set of winter tires with TPMS in them from Lexus.

Then I switch the tire setting in the dash.
Old 03-04-15, 11:17 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I do the same as Biggu. TPMS pipe bomb, you can see it in my build thread.
Old 03-04-15, 11:40 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Biggu
I just took some 3" PVC pipe and PVC caps added a shrader valve one end, glue all together with the old TPMS sensors inside and air up to the proper pressure and leave in the trunk.

I have wheels that do not use TPMS so this is my way around them for full time use.
When I bought my CPO car it came with a separate set of winter wheels. I just assumed they had TPMS being a CPO car. When I put the winter wheels I played around with the dash switch to select a second set of wheels and got the light to turn off. After about twenty minutes of driving the TPMS light would start flashing and shortly after it would stay on for good. When I got home I played around with the switch again and got the light to turn off but again after a short while the light would come. Couldn't quit figure it out at first, but then I realized that my summers were sitting in the garage near the car so it was seeing the TPMS from those wheels but as soon as I got out on the road the TPMS signal was lost and the warning light came on. I thought it was kind of cool that it was picking up the unmounted wheels. Just thought I would share that little experience with you guys...
Old 03-04-15, 11:53 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

^^ interesting info. I just wish the signal was better on our key fob. I hate it when i walk to the driver door and its does not open immediately.
Old 03-04-15, 12:27 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

^^^^^ change the battery in the FOB

Quick Reply: for those who have drag wheels,track wheels & winter,how do you deal w/ TPMS?