IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Thinking of buying a ISF, newbie questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-15, 12:16 PM
Rican3kgt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying a ISF, newbie questions.

Hey guys, I currently own a 2008 IS250 manual and I can't handle how little power the car has or how much it jerks with this manual transmission. It also kills me that my wife's RX350 can whoop me, lol. Anyways I'm thinking of going IS 350 or ISF but leaning more towards ISF. I've been looking thru about the first 10 pages seeing of any problems they might have. My price range is about mid to low 30k so it would have to be like around 08 with 80k miles but what I have seen. So any help you guys can give me would be great, thanks.
Old 03-01-15, 01:14 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rican3kgt
Hey guys, I currently own a 2008 IS250 manual and I can't handle how little power the car has or how much it jerks with this manual transmission. It also kills me that my wife's RX350 can whoop me, lol. Anyways I'm thinking of going IS 350 or ISF but leaning more towards ISF. I've been looking thru about the first 10 pages seeing of any problems they might have. My price range is about mid to low 30k so it would have to be like around 08 with 80k miles but what I have seen. So any help you guys can give me would be great, thanks.
ISF all the way. Don't waste your cash then wish you spent a bit more for an F. The car is bulletproof. If you ever need a tranny PM Gearbangin LMAO
Old 03-01-15, 01:18 PM
ACE350
Driver School Candidate

as a fairly new 08 F owner, you can rest assured that these cars are bullet proof. like you, I did alot of research on the reliability of this car. From research I've found little to no issues especially with the powertrain. Now that I own one, I love it. The upkeep is bit more expensive than my last car (TL typeS) but the ISF is a much better car overall and comes off a few steps above that car. I'd deffinately recommend test driving one before buying just to make sure it's the car for you. And with your price range you can probably get into a 08 with less than 80k on the clock.
Old 03-01-15, 01:46 PM
redcrxsi
Driver

New ISF owner myself but a long time lurker on the ISF forum...like on and off the last 3-4 years. These cars a super reliable, typically forums exasperate issues (coming from the BMW world you'd think every single 335 had turbo issues and fuel pump issues). With the ISF I've seen almost no issues reported and have a high degree of confidence that outside typical maintenance this car will last a long time.

From what I've seen you should be able to get a pre 2010 for mid 30's. If your the kind of person who knows you won't be satisfied unless you have the best then get an ISF. The IS350 is however no slouch and around town will feel as fast as an ISF, plus you could get a newer model for the same money. I'm the later kind of person though so I just bought the ISF (2012, 2600 miles - paid 44k)

Good luck with your search.
Old 03-01-15, 02:04 PM
matthewusm
Driver School Candidate

I've owned my '08 ISF for about a year. Love it. As someone who has owned a GS350, IS250, and an F, it's a totally different animal. If you are concerned about a higher mileage "performance vehicle", just negotiate a 3rd party extended warranty. I did for some peace of mind. These cars in stock form are a great combination of comfort and power when you want it. But beware, if you get one, it probably won't be stock for long... Good luck on your decision!
Old 03-01-15, 02:24 PM
subiepunk
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my 08 F a month ago with 69400k miles for $33,000. Traded in my 07 STI and got a better offer than expected. Took it in for 70k service and recalls and it's doing great. Just pull the trigger and get it.
Old 03-01-15, 02:33 PM
redcrxsi
Driver

http://www.lithia.com/used/Lexus/200...767fd9dbbb.htm

This might be one worth checking out - It's far too far for the OP but in case others are reading and looking. There's a good amount of wiggle room with the price, should be able to get for 31-32k.

Note I haven't seen the car personally they just got it like 3 days ago.
Old 03-01-15, 03:15 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

get the car you want . You will regret it if you dont get the F. The market right now for sports cars is nice because the weather sucks. GO FOR IT
Old 03-01-15, 03:29 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

have you test drive the F? i think you should, and you'll not going to regret it...
Old 03-01-15, 07:50 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

350 is a great all around vehicle. It gets decent gas economy, has seating for 5, and will still have more than enough power to get you through your commute and then some.

The IS F, however, has much more power than any bolt ons with a 350 might produce, has only seating for four, and that 5.0 V8, especially when you get it to sing above 3200 RPM, is pure melodic to the ears.

I personally love the duality of this vehicle. It's got plenty of power and torque, is luxurious and refined from an interior perspective, and very daring and aggressive exterior wise. In the end, it is all a matter of what you want and can afford. But because there is no new IS F on the horizon, all you have to reference to are the used models that are available currently. And some of those seem to be bought instantly.

Wishing you the best of luck, and hopefully we'll see what you end up getting soon.
Old 03-01-15, 09:38 PM
Rican3kgt
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the replies, well I definitely need to test drive one, but I'm sure I'll get one. I got the 250 to be good on gas but it's really not that much better than a 350 and now that I have a daily for work I don't have to worry so much about gas prices. I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 03-02-15, 01:06 AM
SGMISF
Rookie

After test driving one, you might want to also decide if it's enough power for you. Besides bolt ons, the isf performance market is limited compared to the competition. I guess the isx50 is on the same boat. Good luck with your search!
Old 03-02-15, 06:40 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends who you ask but it's like a wolf in sheep's clothing. Sleeper to some and tacky to others. Either way, you won't be disappointed with the F. Car enthusiasts appreciate them because they are rare and exclusive cars. Was just talking to a buddy of mine, we agree that very very few cars come close sound-wise to an F with aftermarket exhaust. I'm coming up on 4 years of ownership of my 08, no issues besides recalls and minor common issues (like water pump).
Old 03-02-15, 07:27 AM
vietzboi87
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm in florida as well and is planning to sell my isf. Pm me if you're interested for more info.

Last edited by vietzboi87; 03-02-15 at 07:34 AM.
Old 03-02-15, 07:31 AM
WhyTheF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SGMISF
After test driving one, you might want to also decide if it's enough power for you. Besides bolt ons, the isf performance market is limited compared to the competition. I guess the isx50 is on the same boat. Good luck with your search!
If he's coming from an IS250, I don't think it's enough power... I think its way too much power

Lol. Well, coming from an 07' G35 sedan with 306HP (fairly similar power to IS350), the ISF blows that outta the waters... and I love it!

Just remember: "With great power... comes great responsibility"

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a ISF, newbie questions.