IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F vs Chevrolet SS, a prospective buyer's test drives

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-15, 08:37 AM
boones
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS-F vs Chevrolet SS, a prospective buyer's test drives

I finally got to drive an IS-F this past Friday. Prior to this test drive, on the same day, I drove a 2014 Chevy SS as I'm considering both cars. The chevy can be had new for under 50k while 50k buys me a low mile 2-3 year old Lexus IS F. Here are my thoughts from the test drives. You may disagree entirely with me and that's OK. I'm mostly thinking of how well each car would work for me and my specific likes and dislikes. Writing this down helps me collect and organize my thoughts. I will probably post this to the Chevy SS forum as well. Constructive feedback is welcome and appreciated.

Test cars:

2010 IS-F with 40k. Burgundy exterior, white leather interior, mark levison sound and sunroof. 2014 Chevrolet SS, metallic black exterior, automatic (all 2014s are auto), roof and full size spare.

Stealth:
Chevy wins. Looks like a Malibu or other standard midsize sedan. Little to tip off the unwary that it has serious performance underneath. For me, the understated look is important. I have no desire to advertise status in any way. The lexus is the better looking car to me, but neither car is particularly attractive IMO. The lexus looks more expensive IMO and that is negative for me. A couple of details stick in my mind. The stacked exhaust pipes on the lexus look especially silly to me, but are not deal breakers. The chevy has a silly (fake?) vent behind the front wheels. Wheels on both cars are oversized and would be better for me an inch or 2 smaller with more rubber and less metal. This particular lexus had black wheels and I do not like black wheels. Wheels are easy to change, so not a deal breaker, just an observation.

Interior:

Seats: Driver's seat was best in the lexus, every other seat was better in the Chevy.

I'm 5'7" 140 lb male. The drivers seat in the Lexus fit me well. The side bolsters were in the right place and it was more comfortable than the chevy. The superior fit and bolstering of the Lexus seat made it far better to keep me in place in turns. The downside is the white leather looked worse than most cars with 100k+ on them. Lots of creases and cracks starting. Disappointing. The seat in the chevy, as in most cars, is too wide in the back and does not do a good job of holding me in place in corners. Comfort was good however. The back seats in the lexus are a good deal smaller than my current G35 and a lot smaller than the chevy. The amount of room in the Chevy and comfort level overall is superior to the lexus. Neither car has a particularly large trunk, but the chevy wins with a larger trunk and a much wider passthrough that will fit a snowboard. Both cars have heated seats, but the chevy's seats are also ventilated which I've never had before and really liked on the warm sunny day off the test drives.

A note on visibility. Sight lines out of the lexus were superior. The chevy has especially large A-pillars that block visibility and a tall trunk that blocks the view out the back. Not terrible like many SUVs, but the lexus had better visibility all-around.

Controls:

No clear winner. Both have pretty tall dashboards and make both cars feel closed in. The chevy's climate controls are both simpler and nicer to use than the lexus. The Chevy has a HUD that displays speed and gear when in manual mode. Liked that feature a lot, but it doesn't include any type of RPM counter on the HUD that I could find. The lexus controls feel very cramped around the center stack. Temp control are tiny buttons that are hard to find, etc. Both cars have a large display screen I dislike in any vehicle. The nav system in the lexus looks pretty bad compared to any modern phone. Better in the chevy as it's newer, but both will look silly when the cars are 10 years old. I keep my cars, so I'd prefer something with no display screen at all.

Transmission:

Both test cars were automatic. The chevy will be available for 2015 with a true manual transmission, which appeals to me greatly. The appeal of an auto is that the wife could drive it as she refuses to learn a stick shift.

The lexus was miles ahead of the chevy auto vs auto and the clear winner. The lexus transmission was especially responsive. Rev matched downshifts are a nice touch. I don't typically like automatic transmissions, but the lexus is among the best I have sampled. I think I could live without a clutch pedal if all automatics were that good. The chevy was a contrast. The transmission was plenty smooth, but it just wants to be in the highest gear possible at all times which sucks the fun out of the car. In full auto mode, it felt like it was starting in 2nd or 3rd gear and it didn't feel like 6.2 liters of low end torque off the line unless you really planted the gas pedal. So it was either slow off the line or burning tires. Also, for passing, the chevy was reluctant to kick down. It felt like the chevy had a corvette engine, hooked up to an economy car transmission. Which, maybe it does. I think an automatic chevy SS is off my list due to the lethargic transmission. The lexus was a pleasant surprise in this regard, it's just puts down power well all time and is eager to react.

Engine:

Both great, but also very different characters. I liked the lexus engine better, so it was the winner for me. I'm used to winding out engines and the lexus particularly enjoys it's trips to redline. The chevy engine sounded very sedate until you got on it, then it has the typical small block rumble which is intoxicating. As for exhaust sound, the lexus sounds better all the time, but is louder and a bit obnoxious just cruising around. The chevy has more quiet family car/unleashed beast dichotomy to it.

Ride/Handling:
The chevy rides better and the lexus handled better. I preferred the lexus. I didn't get to drive either on a track. I got a mix of urban and suburban driving in the test drives. No where could I safely push the cars. I did feel that the lexus steering and feel was superior to the numb helm of the chevy. The lexus feels sharper all the time, both good and bad, but mostly good. I don't mind a rougher ride if the return is more precise control.

Brakes:

Both cars have multi-piston setups up front. The lexus has better spec rear brakes than the 2014 chevy. The 2015 chevy gets brembo's all around. Again I didn't get any track time, so my experience is limited to street use. Both had fine brakes, but the lexus had better feel. The chevy's brakes were overboosted and more difficult to modulate. The chevy had 40 miles on it, so the brakes weren't even fully bedded in.

Final Comments:

Utility and stealth, the chevy was the clear winner. Personality and performance the lexus was the clear winner. I liked both cars, but I liked the lexus more due to the better fitting seat, much more responsive automatic and eager engine. I'm curious if the manual trans in the SS would flip that balance for me. The lexus is hard to find and there is always risk with a used car, even a certified car. I've been burned with a certified used car in the past. With the chevy, I could order it new and know its entire history and know its been well maintained and not abused. Toyota has a better reliability track record than GM does, by a lot IMO. So in the long run, the lexus might be the more reliable car. I wouldn't buy the 2010 lexus I drove. While it drove well, the driver's seat wear and multiple past owners were turnoffs. It was also red which is counter to my preference for stealth. I have seen the pictures of the dash changes and other changes for later IS-F model and would want a 2010+ with a preference for 2012+. For the chevy, it would have to be 2015 with manual trans.
Old 02-16-15, 09:30 AM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

maybe I'm bias, only two products I may want to buy from Chevy are the Z06 and maybe the new CTSV. Fit and finish plus rattling problem with Chevy cars too much for me to deal with. While the SS is nice, it's too plain like a Malibu as you mentioned. That's a negative to me. The F is a 8 years old car so it shows its age a bit. Still beautiful though. For 40k+, you can find 2011+ sample with updated gauge cluster and alcantara seats plus even better riding/handling suspension. LED DRL headlight lessen its age a little too. I love my car, bought it used and it's currently at 112k miles (25k miles year). My motor is just as strong, if not stronger than other F at 40k miles with similar mods. On the dyno back to back with my buddy's car and confirmed. This car feels like it will do another 200k miles
Old 02-16-15, 09:32 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice writeup. For 50k, like you said you could get a very clean low mileage CPO 2012-2013 IS-F.

You should test drive a 2011+ IS-F, I'm positive you will be pleasantly surprised at the ride quality and handling changes. That's when pretty much all the majority of the suspension, steering, interior and exterior cosmetic changes were made.

I do know that the Chevy SS will retain it's value well especially with a manual transmission. The Pontiac G8 GXP still holds it's value very well. The F seems to be pretty solid in the resale value department also.

As far as Alpine leather, it sure looks beautiful when new. That was my first choice, USB on Alpine white but after reading this forum it's also the worst color for durability. When browsing for a car with Alpine interior, like you said every picture of the driver seat looks like it's been through hell, even on low mileage examples, 20-30k miles.

The black leather on my F looks pretty much mint and it's got 35k miles on it, driver seat could pass for 10k miles after a quick leather treatment. If durability is your main concern, get black interior.

As far as picking the SS, I don't think I could ever get past the Enterprise rental car looks for performance it delivers. I know that sounds pretty ignorant but if the car blew me away with it's performance, then maybe I could look the other way and let it slide but in reality it's not all that quick.

Check the stats from Car and Driver instrument testing of both.

Lexus IS-F
Zero to 60 mph: 4.2 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 9.8 sec
Zero to 150 mph: 24.7 sec
Street start, 5-60 mph: 4.6 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.7 sec @ 114 mph

Chevy SS (6 Speed Manual - 2015)
Zero to 60 mph: 4.6 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 10.7 sec
Zero to 150 mph: 31.1 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 5.3 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 13.0 sec @ 111

Compare those stats especially pay close attention to the 0-150 acceleration run. The IS-F destroys it. This is compared to the 6 speed manual Chevy SS, the lethargic automatic version probably would be even slower.

Honestly the G8 GXP was a nice looking car, the Chevy SS....well not so much. Driving wise, I've read some magazines say it feels like an American E39 M5. I'm assuming that's both good and bad. Good because the E39 M5 was universally praised, bad because it was universally praised back in 2000. FIFTEEN YEARS AGO.

Edit: Also the IS-F seems to get better fuel economy if you're interested. 16/23 vs. 14/21 for the Chevy.

Last edited by RSXiMUS; 02-16-15 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-16-15, 09:48 AM
boones
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the feedback. They are both quick street cars IMO. The lexus is the quicker car, more driver centric and more pleasurable at least compared to an automatic SS. The SS is the plain jane that surprises with good performance and RWD characteristics while delivering more utility. I live above 5,000 feet and often go higher, so if either had forced induction, that one would be faster. Altitude really kills performance here.

There is 1 2011 for sale about 70 miles away from me. However, from the pics someone replaced the airbox with a cone filter. That implies to me a kid owned it as cone filters on a stock engine due little to nothing for performance. I have to wonder what else has been done to that car. Some of these cars have been modded or abused and I don't want to buy a car that was modded and returned to stock, or an abused car. I want a fully stock car that was well maintained and I'm willing to pay a premium for that. Aside from that 1 2011, there are no other 2011+ for sale currently within 500 miles of me.

I hear you on the enterprise rental look. For me, that is a positive and not a negative, but I realize for most that its a negative. Different strokes..
Old 02-16-15, 09:54 AM
SoCalISF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I too considered an SS (I have owned a plethora of Chevrolet's from the 60's-2012, currently own an LS powered '70 Camaro, and a '72 Nova resto-mod with all the amenities), but after driving a couple of the SS's, and half a dozen F's, chose the F.

Overall the F was more fun to drive, and the Toyota reliability was definitely a deciding factor. The F is so fun to drive I have parked my company car and commuted in the F, putting 1200 miles on the clock in the last three weeks, the same total I have amassed on my 2011 Porsche Spyder in the last year.
Old 02-16-15, 10:31 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by boones
Thanks for the feedback. They are both quick street cars IMO. The lexus is the quicker car, more driver centric and more pleasurable at least compared to an automatic SS. The SS is the plain jane that surprises with good performance and RWD characteristics while delivering more utility. I live above 5,000 feet and often go higher, so if either had forced induction, that one would be faster. Altitude really kills performance here.

There is 1 2011 for sale about 70 miles away from me. However, from the pics someone replaced the airbox with a cone filter. That implies to me a kid owned it as cone filters on a stock engine due little to nothing for performance. I have to wonder what else has been done to that car. Some of these cars have been modded or abused and I don't want to buy a car that was modded and returned to stock, or an abused car. I want a fully stock car that was well maintained and I'm willing to pay a premium for that. Aside from that 1 2011, there are no other 2011+ for sale currently within 500 miles of me.

I hear you on the enterprise rental look. For me, that is a positive and not a negative, but I realize for most that its a negative. Different strokes..
Ouch, 5000ft above sea level is a real killer. Have you looked at the CTS-V's? That force fed V8 should keep you happy way up there in the clouds. Or maybe a F30 335i M-Sport, I test drove one of those and they're pretty peppy, although the steering feels a bit lackluster compared to my old E90 335i, the car was nice. At that altitude I'd probably never pick anything naturally aspirated, I think at 5000ft the IS-F would be down 50-60hp if I remember correctly, same for the SS.
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by boones

I drove the 2011 up in Ft Collins PM me if you want the details and opinion on that one if you wish
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2010 crew cab 4x4 with the 6.2L and I just bought a 2014 Acadia denali and honestly i planned on getting a CTSVS wagon but I will never buy another GM product. The dealer experience sucks, the nav/blue tooth are both very poor and re-sale is brutal. I thought GM had turn things around but it's still the same sub par quality dressed up in prettier packages. If you buy the GM product make sure you buy the extended warranty our Acadia lasted a whole 2weeks before the blue tooth froze....
Old 02-16-15, 10:55 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

The Lexus will be more fun and engaging. Unless you have kids I would say the ISF all the way
Old 02-16-15, 11:13 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The Lexus will be more fun and engaging. Unless you have kids I would say the ISF all the way
I have kids and the IS-F works....barely.

It's a tight fit with two car seats back there, and I sometimes bump their little heads while maneuvering them in but it's doable. Once my kids are in and all buckled up I'm glad I got the back seat protectors. They love to leave their little hoof marks all all over since they are so close.

OP, is there a specific SS forum you visit? I'd love to read up a little more on them..
Old 02-16-15, 11:45 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 667 Likes on 589 Posts

the quality of a Japanese car vs an American car.. I wouldn't even compare an american car to anything but another american car. get the F, you won't be disappointed, the SS will be cool for a bit but you'll learn to hate it lol.

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 02-16-15, 11:51 AM
EpikOEM
Rookie

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS
I have kids and the IS-F works....barely.

It's a tight fit with two car seats back there, and I sometimes bump their little heads while maneuvering them in but it's doable. Once my kids are in and all buckled up I'm glad I got the back seat protectors. They love to leave their little hoof marks all all over since they are so close.

OP, is there a specific SS forum you visit? I'd love to read up a little more on them..
Funny you say that. I'm in the same boat with my ISF and two car seats. My 2-year old loves kicking my seat when he is in his car seat. Crazy kid, but he likes it when I give it a little gas. Heck, both of my boys, love to ride in my car and tell their mom, "I want to ride in daddy's car. It is loud." lol! Crazy kids
Old 02-16-15, 11:53 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by joshhleee
the quality of a Japanese car vs an American car.. I wouldn't even compare an american car to anything but another american car. get the F, you won't be disappointed, the SS will be cool for a bit but you'll learn to hate it lol.
Well technically the Chevy SS is Australian I think.

As far as long term quality is concerned, I'm not too sure but perceived quality is much better now on American cars. In fact lots of stuff inside new American cars look high quality and no longer fisher price plastic cheap, I can't comment on how they will fare down the road though.

Just like Audis have very high perceived quality interiors, everything is real nice feeling to the touch but we all know how reliable Audis are...
Old 02-16-15, 12:27 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

I respect all cars, especially LSx, big block v8, tt i4, NA i6 cars and so on.
In its own respect, the new SS is awesome. Manual, ls3, magnetic ride control and an epic sleeper if you debadge that SS emblem . Few bolt on's and you'll push over 500bhp.
Now, when compared to the ISF, I wouldn't even think I'd have to choose.
To me, the ISF reigns supreme hands down.
I can think of two reasons the SS trumps the ISF: aftwrmarket support and sleeper value (albeit the ISF is possibly more of a sleeper than the SS--I've received more v8 swap questions than I have fingers)...so at least 9
If you find the '10 ride too harsh, opt for '11+. You won't beat Lexus reliability and quality. Beat the ISF to oblivion and repeat with the SS. Find yourself taking your kids to the movies after in the ISF or in a Malibu loaner. And I'd also bet you'd receive more enjoyment from hooning in the ISF than the SS.
Old 02-16-15, 02:34 PM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

Ones an exclusive sports sedan tuned at the race track. The others a Malibu.

Quick Reply: IS-F vs Chevrolet SS, a prospective buyer's test drives