IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

AFC question for IS F owners

Old 02-07-15, 07:01 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default AFC question for IS F owners

Hi all. My name is Nick. I've been on CL for a very long time but don't own an F. I may look into buying a CPO within the next year though and I have a quick question. Tried searching overall on the Internet hoping that I would find something on the CL forums or elsewhere but could not find.

My question. Why hasn't anyone put an Apexi Neo AFC on their IS F yet? It's just a simple universal air fuel controller that could/should be easily installed on an IS F...Boomslang could provide the harness too. I remember when my GS4 just had simple bolt-ons I saw almost 22whp and 20wtq just with the addition of the AFC. That would be closer to 30whp or more on the F which would be great with the current I/H/E options that you guys are adding.

Thoughts? Has anyone tried this yet?
Old 02-07-15, 07:05 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 151 Likes on 100 Posts

IIRC someone did try a piggyback (not sure which one) but apparently the ecu eventually tuned out any adjustments made over a period of time.
Old 02-07-15, 08:01 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

I heard of stock ECU's doing that and everyone said that would eventually happen to mine but it never did. I only tuned for WOT though and it stuck for the full 5 years until I pulled it out and went FI. I def noticed a difference!
Old 02-07-15, 09:29 PM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It has been proven that the ECU learns around piggy backs.
Old 02-08-15, 06:35 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Damn. I would think that a WOT tune would hold since the car is in open loop at that time. I understand about closed loop tuning as the O2 sensors and fuel trims kick in and eventually override but in open loop none of this takes place. You guys are the experts with these cars though, I don't own one...I'm just speaking theory out loud.
Old 02-08-15, 03:44 PM
Pie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Damn. I would think that a WOT tune would hold since the car is in open loop at that time. I understand about closed loop tuning as the O2 sensors and fuel trims kick in and eventually override but in open loop none of this takes place. You guys are the experts with these cars though, I don't own one...I'm just speaking theory out loud.
Don't worry, I'm thinking the same way too. In theory we should be able to tune open loop no problem. I just got the car so I'm still reading into everything.
Old 02-08-15, 06:27 PM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The car is almost 7 years old and no one has successfully done it yet but there is always a first for everything
Old 02-08-15, 06:54 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Pie
Don't worry, I'm thinking the same way too. In theory we should be able to tune open loop no problem. I just got the car so I'm still reading into everything.
Great! I will def be keeping an eye out for progress in this area. IMHO getting a relatively cheap $400 AFC (like Apexi Neo) to work and be continuously tunable with mods beats a $2k flash tune that still may not work; it's a no brainer!

I am a big fan of the IS F and you guys have done a great job modding the car. Can't wait 'till I get one or I may hold off for a few years and try to get a CPO GS F. I just SC'd my GS so that should hold me over for a bit. 😉