IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Novel ECU tune

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-15, 06:56 PM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Lems also provides this service. 270,000 yen which todays yen rate is $2200. I was quoted $3000 from Novel a while back. On Lems ISF,headers,exhaust and intake...they put down 460 ps . Thats about 448 hp so thats alot more than 20 whp. Lems owner needed my or anyones ecu serial number to see if the Sard tuner was compatible. Running a JDM ecu in a USDM F should work but who is willing to make the plunge?
Old 02-03-15, 07:03 PM
NotnFsport
Instructor

also here in Japan 99% of the F owners dont "cheap out" on parts. Ill be the first to admit that I have rep parts on my car but here in Japan...the owners buy $14000 Novel exhaust systems, tunes, wheels, $8000 coilovers..etc etc. So the price to most foreigners will have them say thanks but no thanks.But the F owners here seem to have no problem buying very high priced parts...also very high quality.
Old 02-03-15, 09:13 PM
ilv1004s
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

i am pretty sure novel has a USDM ISF in their workshop
for thes LHD headers and i am pretty sure they have tested the ECU on the USDM ISF
Old 02-03-15, 10:13 PM
Sci
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KLexus50
I agree with darbs. Unless this ecu is user accessible and not just a flash, 2 grand is an absurd price. I want something I can plug my laptop into and alter timing and fuel maps/datalog for that price, much like what my Evo had.
yeah good luck with that.

What makes you guys think that there will ever be a low-cost, fully-programmable unlocked ECU for a low-volume, encrypted Toyota/Lexus platform that isnt even a current model any more?

I keep reading complaints about the lack of tunability and then when an option does come around everyone is surprised it is expensive or lacks features. Well guess what, companies like Novel probably realise that the market for ECU tuning on the ISF is tiny compared to other makes/models and so set the price and features accordingly so its actually worthwhile for them.

Can you blame them for that? Or you can keep holding out for that all-singing/dancing/bells-and-whistles tuning solution that costs $500 and see where that gets you...
Old 02-03-15, 10:52 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this might be my last mod for the F. I hope that it is reasonable enough. I could careless about having a 2nd ecu as long as it works. I'll even do ecu core exchance to keep the cost low, way lower.
Old 02-04-15, 04:36 AM
KLexus50
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ilv1004s
just to clear up some assumptions and questions

1. this is a seperate ECU im running i still have my stock MY11 ECU which is included in the price (JDM ECU)
The price makes a lot more sense now. It's actually not too bad if you're getting another ECU.
Old 02-04-15, 06:28 AM
EpikOEM
Rookie

I don't care what the price is. It is all about the ability to TUNE the car. If it is just a reflash, it will make me a little more hesitant, but not a deal breaker. However, I'm holding out hope that it is more than that and finally, we have something we can use to tune when it comes to forced induction with our cars. Long shot, but hey, nothing is ever impossible. Improbable? yes, Impossible? No.

Last edited by EpikOEM; 02-04-15 at 06:43 AM.
Old 02-04-15, 06:39 AM
DaLurker
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EpikOEM
I don't care what the price is. It is all about the ability to TUNE the car. If it just a reflash, it will make me a little more hesitant, but not a deal breaker. However, I'm holding out hope that it is more than that and finally, we have something we can use to tune when it comes to forced induction with our cars. Long shot, but hey, nothing is ever impossible. Improbable? yes, Impossible? No.
This is the only reason why I'm not keeping the car. I haven't even put an exhaust on it, because if you can't tune the car, what's the point IMHO. I just wonder if AEM or someone aren't making ecu's for the car?
Old 02-04-15, 09:55 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

There is a long and sordid history of failure in this realm. ProEFI gave up. I doubt AEM will do anything with it unless there is a real market for an ECM capable of driving 16 injectors. So far, the hardware isn't there. Then there's a whole host of compatibility issues to solve with an aftermarket ECM. It just won't happen unless someone decides it's OK to spend a million bucks to reverse engineer all of this and offer something to a market unwilling to spend even $2k for a reflash. There's no business model to support this.

Novel and SARD have tunes for JDM. They have been testing tunes for US market ECMs, but little has been said by those testing or those proposing it can be done in quite some time. If Novel is offering a US tune, it surely has not been marketed here.

Yes, lots of us would love to have capabilities not found in the OEM solution. We'd also like to be able to customize a tune, but at the same time, nobody is going to fly a team from Japan here to do this on a street car. Except the guy willing to ignore the cost and decide it's worth it to him.

It makes no sense at all to compare Japanese IS F owners with American IS F owners. The whole demographic is completely different.
Old 02-04-15, 10:51 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NotnFsport
Lems also provides this service. 270,000 yen which todays yen rate is $2200. I was quoted $3000 from Novel a while back. On Lems ISF,headers,exhaust and intake...they put down 460 ps . Thats about 448 hp so thats alot more than 20 whp. Lems owner needed my or anyones ecu serial number to see if the Sard tuner was compatible. Running a JDM ecu in a USDM F should work but who is willing to make the plunge?
448 to the crank?
Old 02-04-15, 11:19 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

16 injectors? I thought we only had 8.
Old 02-04-15, 12:01 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearbangin
16 injectors? I thought we only had 8.
8 direct and 8 port. Yes, 16 injectors.
Old 02-05-15, 03:53 AM
NotnFsport
Instructor

It makes all the sense thats why I posted it...but your opinion will be respected. You wont find an ISF here in Japan with Rotas or Linea corses for a reason. But back on topic. 445 hp to the wheels.
Old 02-05-15, 06:40 AM
Cronic
Pole Position

Proefi didn't really give up as much as they ran out of time with the car as I understand it. They said if they had more time they'd certainly get it working. As it was, the only thing that wasn't functioning was the transmission in auto mode(worked fine in m) They just don't have the resources to buy an isf, and continue moving forward with it.

Originally Posted by NotnFsport
It makes all the sense thats why I posted it...but your opinion will be respected. You wont find an ISF here in Japan with Rotas or Linea corses for a reason. But back on topic. 445 hp to the wheels.
I've bought a dozen or so cars(and helped dismantle 50 or so more) from Japan and while they might buy original parts their ability to cleanly mod a car or not rice it out leaves something to be desired.

I'd get cars with gauges haphazardly drilled into the dash or pillars, odd mountings of boost controllers and other electronics, stickers, tacky light mods, and the list goes on. And these weren't civics. These were fairly high dollar cars. Maybe the lexus crowd is above that but I'd doubt it.
Old 02-05-15, 07:58 AM
yjk1975
Pole Position

445HP to the wheel. I will happily pay $2000.

Quick Reply: Novel ECU tune