IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Morimoto XB35 3000k install w/ HD relay in fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-15, 02:27 AM
RichFlair
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Morimoto XB35 3000k install w/ HD relay in fog lights

So this weekend I installed 3000k Morimoto xb35 HID's with the HD relay harness for the fog lights . Now most people would say you don't need to run the relay harness, but I had a bad flickering issue on start up. The good guys at The Retrofit Source who I had bought the kit from, informed me that the harness would have to be installed in order to get rid of the flickering. Now after doing this install I can tell you that you can run the harness without removing the front bumper, but it did make things a whole lot easier.

The install is pretty straight forward-

Removed the front bumper.
This guide pretty much pins the tail on the donkey.
Now I have parking sensors and headlight washers, so instead of disconnecting them, I placed the front bumper in front of the car on the ground on top of some towels. There is more than enough room to do the install.

The relay schematic

I purchased 9006 extensions because the drivers side ballast connector would not reach where I placed the ballast.

For the passengers side ballast wires, I ran them through this area

I attached the ballast ground to this bracket.

The wiring for the ballast is as they say "plug and play"
You have an igniter and a ballast

One side of the igniter goes to the ballast and the other side goes to the bulbs. The HD relay harness ballast wire connects to the 9006 extension and then to the ballast.

Removed these due to the fact that they are not applicable..

Installed the bulb into the fog light housing.

Connected the H11 to 9006 connector. The H11 end goes into the factory foglight plug and the 9006 end plugs into the HD relay harness labeled "OEM input"

I used 3m interlocking velcro tape once again to mount the ballast to the inside of the front bumper. Ive use the interlocking velcro tape in the past without any failure.

Per Morimoto for ballast mounting

I placed the relays next to the intake also with interlocking velcro.

For the drivers side, I zip tied the ballast wire under the intake tube/scoop following an existing harness. The intake tube is removed by 1- 10mm bolt and 1 push pin.

I entered through this area, right above the wiper fluid reservoir.

I attached the ballast ground to a bolt to the right of the reservoir

Ballast, igniter, and bulb connections are the same as the passengers with the exception of the OEM input. Since the HD relay harness receives its power from the battery, it only needs one signal to turn the relays on. Tape off the factory fog light plug so no water or dirt enter.

I ran the power wire labeled "battery+" along the passenger fender following and zip tying to an existing harness all the way to the positive terminal. Attach the "battery+" ring connector to the 10mm nut.

Test the system before reassembling everything. If all is well and working, button it all up.

In all honesty the Morimoto XB35 kit is put together well. The TechFlex braided wire loom with heat shrink is a nice touch of craftsmanship. The ballast and igniters feel firm and able to take punishment from the every day use of your vehicle. I feel these kits are the best on the aftermarket.

Last edited by RichFlair; 01-19-15 at 04:36 AM.
Old 01-19-15, 02:28 AM
RichFlair
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im also using yellow vinyl covers over the fog light housings

Last edited by RichFlair; 01-19-15 at 02:46 AM.