IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Pad shift noise w/ StopTech brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-15, 10:38 AM
nrgizeman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pad shift noise w/ StopTech brake pads

Anyone experienced this issue after changing their front brake pads? I hear clicking noise every time I change direction (reverse, drive forward), but not when I'm driving on the road. My shop said this is common for aftermarket Brembo pads, but I haven't find any related post here.
Old 01-10-15, 11:33 AM
jlam86
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't have that problem with my stop tech pads. Could they have been installed backwards. Not even sure if that is possible to do.

Maybe there is debris stuck between the pad and rotor?

I am running aftermarket slotted rotors if it makes much of a difference.
Old 01-10-15, 12:05 PM
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i hear the same clicking noise sometimes after changing to stop tech pads. i was told about it before install so it doesn't really bother me.
Old 01-10-15, 02:06 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Hi There!

Not to worry, that does occur on occasion as the dimensions of aftermarket backing plates can be smaller than OEM backing plates- this will allow movement around, and thus a clicking, or small rattle like noise. This may not be the only cause, but it is fairly common.

The clicking, light sticking like clank, during change of direction is especially common for the first ~5k miles as the pads are closest to the rotor surface when new, and will shuffle from the friction as the driver gets on, and let's off the brakes during a gear change.

I hope this helps, do advise if you also had any greases utilized during assembly? (Your technician likely has a common practice of putting a particular grease for daily driven vehicles).

Last edited by SpeedFreaksUSA; 01-10-15 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-11-15, 05:13 AM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I've been experiencing a similar issue with mine, my rotors are also starting to warp. This is noticeable due to a shuttering feeling under braking at higher speeds (above 40 mph but I consistently make trips over 140mph in my car and will slow to 100-110 and speed back up to about 130) I'm Savin pennies for a full set of figs 2pc rotors.. FYI my current rotor sets are from a brand called cquence and are the slotted only zinc coated w/stoptech street pads.
Old 01-11-15, 07:49 AM
lifethinkr
Rookie

I had the same thing happen to me when I replaced my pads on my sc430. I replaced with OEM Toyota pads from dealer. but I turned my rotors instead of replacing. I also used the olds shims. I think this is where the noise is coming from. My friend is a master tech at Sewell and he said you must buy a new shim kit ands a new caliper kit.(not sure what its called) but its the little pieces at the end of the brake pads. so there are two kits that must be used with new pads. the kits are available through Toyota. that should eliminate your noise.
Old 01-11-15, 07:17 PM
Jamakan
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default This may be your problem

I have stoptech pads but experienced this sound even before switching my pads. I initially thought it was the brakes thats why i changed them. I am taking it to the dealer tomorrrow to check out this issue.

check this link. ..

[https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...xle-area.html]
Old 01-11-15, 07:21 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by lifethinkr
I had the same thing happen to me when I replaced my pads on my sc430. I replaced with OEM Toyota pads from dealer. but I turned my rotors instead of replacing. I also used the olds shims. I think this is where the noise is coming from. My friend is a master tech at Sewell and he said you must buy a new shim kit ands a new caliper kit.(not sure what its called) but its the little pieces at the end of the brake pads. so there are two kits that must be used with new pads. the kits are available through Toyota. that should eliminate your noise.
The F's brakes have none of those nasty little sheet metal clips. Thank goodness for that.

My Carbotech pads have made noise like this, and even my Jurid pads make noise now that I've put some wear on the calipers from track driving.
Old 01-11-15, 10:35 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Justind27
I've been experiencing a similar issue with mine, my rotors are also starting to warp. This is noticeable due to a shuttering feeling under braking at higher speeds (above 40 mph but I consistently make trips over 140mph in my car and will slow to 100-110 and speed back up to about 130) I'm Savin pennies for a full set of figs 2pc rotors.. FYI my current rotor sets are from a brand called cquence and are the slotted only zinc coated w/stoptech street pads.
Hi Justin,

Your rotors may not be warped, but have deposits that make the braking surface uneven. An example of when this can occur: when you have done a high speed run, then come to a stop and held the pad to the rotor surface- the temperature of the rotor, if elevated, will cause the pad to leave a deposit. The next time you go to brake, you will ride over this deposit and feel a shudder (if you feel it in the steering wheel and the pedal, it's the fronts). The shudder is more likely to be felt during a higher rotor speed (vehicle speed), for example when slowing down off the freeway to exit on an off ramp.

Sometimes this is visible on the surface of the rotor, sometimes it is not. Do take a look and check!

Can you advise if you have blanks, or have cross drilled/slotted rotors? Would you mind checking to see if your holes in the cross drilled rotors, or the pad material deposited in the slots, are visible?

FYI - We may be introducing a pair of 2pc rotors ourselves shortly!
Old 01-12-15, 07:42 AM
torxuvin
Pole Position

Yep. My stoptech pads do that. My service advisor said it was common with aftermarket pads. Just rechecked all my pins yesterday and everything is in there and tight. No performance issues at all.
Old 01-12-15, 08:32 AM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Speedfreaks: I have slotted only (made by cquence) the shuddering is as you described but on my 3 previous cars I've had brembo slotted or stoptech slotted rotors and never experienced this shuddering. I've become optimistic about the quality the (cquence brand) rotors. I'll definetly do a good performance test for your new ones if you manufacture some!
Old 02-01-16, 03:01 PM
revolut1on
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all,

Searched and found this old thread closest to my problem.

I have Project Mu NS400 front and rear pads on my car for roughly 3000 miles. Not everytime but most times when I brake I can hear a clicking noise that I can hear is coming from the front brakes when I stick my head out but also transfers loud enough to be noticeable within the cabin.

Also the rears make a similar noise when going over speed humps at low speed (I probably just can't hear it at higher speeds). My mechanic said this is normal due to aftermarket pads being a bit smaller and the Project Mu's being a harder compound.

I reused the shims from the OEM brembo pads, could this affect it somehow? Also I had squealing issues with the pads before and got him to put on an excessive amount of anti squeal grease.

Thanks.
Old 02-01-16, 03:11 PM
revolut1on
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also this only started recently after having put some more miles on the pads. It was squealing before but not clicking. Now it is clicking but no squealing.

Any advice much appreciated as it is giving me the absolute ****s and makes me not want to drive the car as much. Contemplating going back to the very dusty OEM Brembo pads.

Thanks.
Old 02-02-16, 11:15 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by revolut1on
Hi all,

Searched and found this old thread closest to my problem.

I have Project Mu NS400 front and rear pads on my car for roughly 3000 miles. Not everytime but most times when I brake I can hear a clicking noise that I can hear is coming from the front brakes when I stick my head out but also transfers loud enough to be noticeable within the cabin.

Also the rears make a similar noise when going over speed humps at low speed (I probably just can't hear it at higher speeds). My mechanic said this is normal due to aftermarket pads being a bit smaller and the Project Mu's being a harder compound.

I reused the shims from the OEM brembo pads, could this affect it somehow? Also I had squealing issues with the pads before and got him to put on an excessive amount of anti squeal grease.

Thanks.
Originally Posted by revolut1on
Also this only started recently after having put some more miles on the pads. It was squealing before but not clicking. Now it is clicking but no squealing.

Any advice much appreciated as it is giving me the absolute ****s and makes me not want to drive the car as much. Contemplating going back to the very dusty OEM Brembo pads.

Thanks.
Are you absolutely sure its the pads that are clicking? Pad clicking isn't uncommon but is usually more prevalent on the track/race oriented parts since thermal expansion is a bigger factor and noise is not as much of a concern. I haven't heard of of any other complaints of clicking on NS400 but thats not to say the pads themselves aren't the cause for the noise. I am curious how everything else looks in the calipers- there was good tension on the anti rattle springs? The guides inside the caliper aren't bent or anything? I don't see how the shims would cause any clicking noise unless they were somehow warped.

As far as the noise goes I'm surprised these made any noise on you. They should be silent even without shims or anti-squeel. Did you install them on new rotors or old rotors with an old transfer layer on them? How did you bed them in?

-Matt M.
Old 02-02-16, 01:14 PM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've always had pad groan on my fixed/opposed piston calipers. Definitely a groan though, as opposed to clicking.

Quick Reply: Pad shift noise w/ StopTech brake pads