IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

GSF is Finally Here - ISF Coming?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-15, 12:32 PM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really hope they don't make another ISF. Makes ours all the more exclusive.
I think people here are getting to caught up with this latest GSF. It is not a flagship posterboy vehicle like the RCF. Lexus has already stacked all their chips in with the RCF and not the GS platform. So why would they want to make a 4 door all the more better than the RCF? The GSF is not intended to be 'groundbreaking' or even supersede the RCF. It is what it is.
What they should do is make a very limited run of extreme performance GS's, similar to what TTE did with the LS650(even though they only had one). Just to show they can do it and how potential it can be. But with the RCF now here, I doubt that will happen.
Old 01-12-15, 12:35 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^

If that's not an indication of the ISF dead in the water, I don't know what is? GSF is basically a 4 door RCF, so why the need for an ISF with RCF engine?
Old 01-12-15, 12:47 PM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by obturator
^^^

If that's not an indication of the ISF dead in the water, I don't know what is? GSF is basically a 4 door RCF, so why the need for an ISF with RCF engine?
Exactly.
A new ISF would make no sense to produce now that the GSF is in the line up to fill those shoes. An ISF now would just compete in sales with the GSF...and more than likely most buyers will just opt for the ISF than the GSF. It would still be a niche market. And the IS platform would be lighter which translates to better performance all around than the GS, and notably cheaper.
Old 01-12-15, 12:50 PM
tommigsr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i thought the rc-f would be a coupe version of the ISx50 line, but i guess not...it's a coupe version of the GS line!
Old 01-12-15, 12:56 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tommigsr
i thought the rc-f would be a coupe version of the ISx50 line, but i guess not...it's a coupe version of the GS line!
Yes, we all been duped. The RCF should have been compared to the M6. Lol
Old 01-12-15, 01:02 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by obturator
Taking into account what Yaguchi stated that the GSF is a choice for buyers who don't want a two door RCF, I think a future ISF is dead in the water. Why even make an ISF with the RCF engine when you already have that in the GSF? Furthermore, the current IS engine bay will not fit a V8--if that's an indication of anything...
I missed the Yaguchi interview, but I've read it now. Yep, it seems pretty clear that the RCF is where they put their development, and the GSF was kind of the "hey, we have this stuff, so let's make a 4 door version" instead of the all new 4 door performance vehicle we thought it might be.

It also seems pretty clear that as long as this gen RCF and GSF are on the market, we won't see any other true F models and certainly not another ISF. We're going to likely have to wait for this run to end before we see something truly new, which could be years since Lexus is not likely to end either the RCF or GSF before 2019.

Well that makes my car buying picture a little more clear now. I'm going to keep this ISF for a long time, and look to upgrade my daily driver from my Titan to something with the same utility, but more "fun" (Raptor? Jeep SRT-8?) We'll see.
Old 01-12-15, 01:08 PM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vbb
I missed the Yaguchi interview, but I've read it now. Yep, it seems pretty clear that the RCF is where they put their development, and the GSF was kind of the "hey, we have this stuff, so let's make a 4 door version" instead of the all new 4 door performance vehicle we thought it might be.

It also seems pretty clear that as long as this gen RCF and GSF are on the market, we won't see any other true F models and certainly not another ISF. We're going to likely have to wait for this run to end before we see something truly new, which could be years since Lexus is not likely to end either the RCF or GSF before 2019.

Well that makes my car buying picture a little more clear now. I'm going to keep this ISF for a long time, and look to upgrade my daily driver from my Titan to something with the same utility, but more "fun" (Raptor? Jeep SRT-8?) We'll see.
Vbb,

It makes mine more clearly now. Like you I'll keep my IS-F. I'm with you on the Raptor or Jeep SRT-8 (or hopefully Jeep Hellcat)!!!
Old 01-12-15, 01:59 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb

thats pretty much how the ISF was developed. They made the car with what they had, not design it from scratch like how the RCF was. 2IS was not designed from the beginning to have an F variant, same with the 4GS. RCF was able to get all the performance input for an F variant in the base design from the beginning. Things like using the GS front end to fit the V8 and fit wider front tires. He even said this in one of his interviews. That is why I see the RCF as a very special car and better engineered than the ISF and GSF.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 01-12-15 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-12-15, 10:01 PM
powermungr
Rookie

In 2017-- I am buying another car. I would like it to be an F model but more than likely not at this point. FT-1 is where I have my sights for now. I have zero plans to sell my ISF. After owning three previous Lexus and two Toyotas models, I appreciate the emphasis on safety and reliability. By limiting the horsepower, those two elements will be optimized.

Lexus still has two other sport oriented cars to reveal (LF-LC and the BMW collaboration) which may carry new power-plants. Hybrid more than likely for one and God only knows for the second. The next gen powerplant may hit the 500 -550hp but by then everyone else will be planning 600 - 650Hp releases.

Sales numbers also play a part in why Lexus maybe doing this, after all they finished third behind BMW and Merc for 2014 and F model's numbers didn't quite pull up the rear. From an economic stand point using the RCF's engine is brilliant. No need to invest money in another unique platform. If sales doesn't hit the mark, drop the model.

Who knows maybe Lexus is planning a 500lb less RCF variant and an LS-Fh with 641hp.
Old 01-12-15, 10:01 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vbb
You've over-extended my argument. I specifically said there's no practical difference between 450hp and 550hp in a real world application. That does not automatically mean my argument applies to the ISF vs. the IS350. The IS350 has 306hp. Horsepower is inversely proportional to street utility. Put another way, there is a point where you have so much horsepower that it is hard to get any benefit of the extra power on the street, and as horsepower figures go up, the benefit goes down. So there's a world of difference between a 200hp car and a 300hp car on the street, but there's almost zero difference between a 600hp car and a 700hp car on the street.
While the argument of diminishing returns holds true at a certain threshold, it is definitely not at the 500hp mark (Assuming other variables are fixed). So I completely disagree, especially from a personal experience standpoint. By the same token, your argument also implies that I/H/E has no practical performance benefit for the ISF on the street...rrrright.

With that said, I agree that there will be GS-F buyers who won't know the difference, but is that what it's coming down to? Lexus watering down the F-line to the lowest common denominator?
Old 01-13-15, 01:21 AM
vbb

Originally Posted by primecut
While the argument of diminishing returns holds true at a certain threshold, it is definitely not at the 500hp mark (Assuming other variables are fixed). So I completely disagree, especially from a personal experience standpoint. By the same token, your argument also implies that I/H/E has no practical performance benefit for the ISF on the street...rrrright.

With that said, I agree that there will be GS-F buyers who won't know the difference, but is that what it's coming down to? Lexus watering down the F-line to the lowest common denominator?
Well, admittedly I haven't compared a 500hp car to a 600hp car with first hand driving experience. So if you've directly compared Street cars at that hp level and you're telling me the difference is that very apparent, I will take your word for it. I also know of from driving a 700whp TT Z06 on the street, that there's almost nowhere that power is useful or appreciated unless you're trying to get arrested. And I still don't think the GSF horsepower figures are going to be a huge detriment to the car. But that's just an opinion
Old 01-13-15, 02:19 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by powermungr
Lexus still has two other sport oriented cars to reveal (LF-LC and the BMW collaboration) which may carry new power-plants. Hybrid more than likely for one and God only knows for the second. The next gen powerplant may hit the 500 -550hp but by then everyone else will be planning 600 - 650Hp releases.

Sales numbers also play a part in why Lexus maybe doing this, after all they finished third behind BMW and Merc for 2014 and F model's numbers didn't quite pull up the rear. From an economic stand point using the RCF's engine is brilliant. No need to invest money in another unique platform. If sales doesn't hit the mark, drop the model.
Motor Trend reported that there will only be 200 units pegged for USA, I guess many missed that ? So it is like a limited special edition car where sales# does not matter and not their goal ... almost like just a fun exercise
Old 01-13-15, 03:22 AM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Motor Trend reported that there will only be 200 units pegged for USA, I guess many missed that ? So it is like a limited special edition car where sales# does not matter and not their goal ... almost like just a fun exercise

If that figure of 200 units is true then I'll most likely buy one then.
Old 01-13-15, 04:14 AM
vbb

Only 200 GSF produced for the USDM? Wow, that'd make the car essentially a collectors item.
Old 01-13-15, 05:35 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

MT are the only people who said they would make 200, no one else has that Im aware of. Take it with a grain of salt. Why even bother making this car if theres only 200 for the US.

edit: Live stream said they are making 1600 a year. Just goes to show how informed MT is.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 01-13-15 at 06:25 AM.

Quick Reply: GSF is Finally Here - ISF Coming?