IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

GSF is Finally Here - ISF Coming?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-15, 06:47 PM
TURBO5DAVE
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Love the interior but agree on it needing more power. If it was Supercharged wouldn't loose all of the instant umpf of the v8 and suffer from lag like a turbo. On the plus side maybe more tuning options will open up from using the same engine in all the lexus line up.
Old 01-07-15, 07:11 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

What about a performance hybrid?

If Lexus is afraid of turbos or tuning a NA engine to the point of not being reliable for 150k miles, why didn't they mate the 467 hp 5.0l to a powerful hybrid system? In the end it would have weighed the same as its competition, been much more reliable, achieved much better fuel economy, and faster in a straight line than the 5.0 by itself.

That just popped into my head and thought I would ask.
Old 01-07-15, 08:38 PM
NarsISF
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 786
Lexus doesn't owe you or anyone else an explanation lol. It's a bloody sports sedan with close to 500hp. If you're worried about magazine racing or drags buy something else, simple as that. Go look at M5, E63 et all repair bills and you'll understand why some people will sacrifice a few ponies for not having to worry about their car randomly exploding. I'm busy as ****, I have neither the time nor the patience to deal with that nonsense.

This is one of the last normally aspirated V8 cars that will ever be produced, they should be applauded for keeping it real. I would have liked a bit more power too but we all know we can do IHE to get over 500hp crank easy. So everyone needs to relax a bit, it's a proven flawlessly reliable drivetrain in a chassis that weighs less than any of its competitors. Ya, it may not be as powerful, but I think we all know the ownership experience will be head & shoulders above the rest. I, for one, have owned lots of german cars in the past and am blown away by how reliable and pain free owning my IS-F has been.

Horses for courses and all that.

Agreed 100%
Old 01-07-15, 09:16 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What a disappointment! Many of us have supported the ISF since it was released back in early 2008. I even set myself to get the ISF as soon as Lexus announced that it'd produce it. Some of us have gone through more than one ISF, we've been guinea pigs for different companies trying to build performance parts... I think we deserved better. There are not that many ISFs on the road, probably a large part of the owners are members of a car forum, so most of the owners are car enthusiats, and the same thing will happen to the GSF. Anyone considering to get one will inevitable consider an M5, E63, and CTS-V too... Lexus was supposed to bring better performance than 467HP.

I agree with everyone except 786. Even though being lighter, the GSF is way behind in performance. The 467HP engine in the RCF dynoes at around 360-370WHP, the same numbers "should" translate to the GSF. We all know BMW and MB's numbers are underrated, my stock M5 dynoed 530WHP two weeks ago, so the GSF is already at a 170WHP deficit. Yes, the I/E/H V8 in the ISF (same should apply to the GSF) sounds awesome, but I prefer performance to noise, and I'll hardly hear the ISF as I pull away from it.

I'll skip the test drive.

Originally Posted by 786
engine is a joke? if you don't own an F you frankly have no ****ing clue what you're talking about.

my motor is the best part of my car. plenty of power and makes an epic noise, not some nonsense piped in through the speakers. all the cars you listed are 3-500lbs heavier, unreliable, and likely have ****ty build quality (in the case of the CTS-V).

i wouldn't write this car off just yet. in a year or two once prices settle it'll be a great value.
Originally Posted by 786
Lexus doesn't owe you or anyone else an explanation lol. It's a bloody sports sedan with close to 500hp. If you're worried about magazine racing or drags buy something else, simple as that. Go look at M5, E63 et all repair bills and you'll understand why some people will sacrifice a few ponies for not having to worry about their car randomly exploding. I'm busy as ****, I have neither the time nor the patience to deal with that nonsense.

This is one of the last normally aspirated V8 cars that will ever be produced, they should be applauded for keeping it real. I would have liked a bit more power too but we all know we can do IHE to get over 500hp crank easy. So everyone needs to relax a bit, it's a proven flawlessly reliable drivetrain in a chassis that weighs less than any of its competitors. Ya, it may not be as powerful, but I think we all know the ownership experience will be head & shoulders above the rest. I, for one, have owned lots of german cars in the past and am blown away by how reliable and pain free owning my IS-F has been.

Old 01-07-15, 10:02 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Just read an article on the new CTSV. It has 600 HP and 600 lb/ft torque. We have only a very very small number of the less objective Lexus fans ( nicest way I can put it ) bashing our comments, but excuses are excuses. The GSF , that we have all been waiting for is a 4 door RCF that is maybe 6-7% lighter but is down on power by 18%-24%.

Im not going to say that dynamically the car will not be great to drive. The FRS is great to drive and has no *****. For what they are going to charge for a GSF we should have our cake and eat it too. If BMW did the same thing the M5 would rock the smaller M4 motor. WEAK !!

Originally Posted by 786

LOL I mean they should explain why they kept the power equal to the RCF. Now that the GSf has shown its power numbers its obvious that they can make another ISF. They cant have the ISF having the same output as their big boy performance sedan.

Whats total truth is that I would still probably end up buying one as an all around sports sedan that I can take to a track and has room for the kids . I am a huge Lexus fan boy, and in honesty, is why I am so vocal about how disappointing it is to me. Lexus is my favorite team. And when you feel your team is weak or going to get beaten its upsetting........especially when you know they can do better.

They could have turned up the motor and tweaked out put by 33 hp to hit 500. Its simple ECU tuning

Last edited by I8ABMR; 01-07-15 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-07-15, 10:20 PM
Katin2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by I8ABMR

Whats total truth is that I would still probably end up buying one as an all around sports sedan that I can take to a track and has room for the kids . I am a huge Lexus fan boy, and in honesty, is why I am so vocal about how disappointing it is to me. Lexus is my favorite team. And when you feel your team is weak or going to get beaten its upsetting........especially when you know they can do better.

They could have turned up the motor and tweaked out put by 33 hp to hit 500. Its simple ECU tuning
^^^This.....
Old 01-08-15, 02:59 PM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

oh man i would love an is-f built around the new gen body style. seeing just the 350 f-sports on the road i have really started to love the styling.
Old 01-08-15, 06:33 PM
foxprime
Pole Position

Highly doubt the IS-F will return. The IS-F was recently removed from lexus.com.

Last edited by foxprime; 01-08-15 at 06:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-08-15, 09:23 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Pretty sure my wife is to blame for the RC-F and GS-F not having ***** out crazy power. I bet she called Lexus and said "For the love of all things holy when u make the new F cars can u make them about the same performance as his current IS-F but make them $40-50k more in price so he won't be tempted to get another F car? He already has owned 2 IS-F cars in the past 3.5 yrs and even though he keeps promising me he will keep his current IS-F for many more years I know he is a liar when it comes to his plans with his cars."
Old 01-08-15, 09:47 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

The decision to put the same motor as the RCF in the GSF is what killed the ISF. The ISF couldn't have the same power as out Fs, and it couldn't match the big dog GSF so they killed it. There simply was no power plant that would have been suitable. What they should have done is to drop a 500 hp version of the RCF motor in the GS , and then share the 463 HP layout in the RCF and ISF
Old 01-08-15, 11:07 PM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am disappointed in the power numbers but will likely get one anyway just because I want a bigger sedan. I came from an X5M that with turbo back exhaust and a custom tune hit 680-700hp and the M5 has better potential. Had I not got sick of driving X1/320i loaner cars while my 120k SUV was in the shop all of the time the M5 would now be a no brainer.
Old 01-09-15, 04:59 AM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sylvan
I am disappointed in the power numbers but will likely get one anyway just because I want a bigger sedan. I came from an X5M that with turbo back exhaust and a custom tune hit 680-700hp and the M5 has better potential. Had I not got sick of driving X1/320i loaner cars while my 120k SUV was in the shop all of the time the M5 would now be a no brainer.
I agree with you Sylvan. We came from cars that from the factory were underpowered and heavy. At least we had FI and tuning options.
Old 01-09-15, 05:02 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Love the Rear, hate the Front. WTF Lexus WAKE UP
Old 01-09-15, 05:48 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Sylvan
theres a big engine TSB on the 4.4 V8TT BMW engines. The major change was halving the oil change interval and officially increasing oil capacity by 1qt. Their insane oil change intervals on a turbocharged motors are burning up the crankcase vent system, fuel injectors, and other things. Bad oil caused blowby and fouled the heck out of the injectors, the engine starts running dangerously lean when this happens. German engineering for you. Whoever thought you could run this OCI on a turbo motor was insane.

GSF will be significantly cheaper than 120k that the X5M or M5 costs

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 01-09-15 at 05:54 AM.
Old 01-09-15, 06:03 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The decision to put the same motor as the RCF in the GSF is what killed the ISF. The ISF couldn't have the same power as out Fs, and it couldn't match the big dog GSF so they killed it. There simply was no power plant that would have been suitable. What they should have done is to drop a 500 hp version of the RCF motor in the GS , and then share the 463 HP layout in the RCF and ISF
I doubt the V8 fits in the new IS engine bay. ISF had to be lengthened 3 inches and the radiator moved forward to squeeze it in. Thats one reason why they used a GS front on the RC, the V8 fits easier, and also because the GS front supports wider front tires. Something that was hugely lacking on the ISF. I dont get it, so 33 hp would just make the GSF super amazing suddenly? So if this car was 500 hp people would suddenly be happy even though thats just 33hp more than now. 500hp GSF was sheer rumor and speculation by websites, Lexus never promised anything.

Quick Reply: GSF is Finally Here - ISF Coming?