IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Recaro seats??

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-14, 04:31 PM
Andyfishy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recaro seats??

I've been tracking quite a lot with my F and I'm thinking of getting a Recaro seat since the OEM seat makes me slide too much on corners...
However, I found out that there's a problem with the airbags... since one of the airbags was located in the seat, the dash airbag light will be on when I take off the OEM seat & I heard that all of the other airbags won't be working either?
Is there anyway to solve the problem? Anyone knows if there is an aftermarket ecu or something like that in order to trick/fool the computer?
Please help me out
Old 12-26-14, 05:46 PM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

What year seats do you have? Ones from later years with the alcantara may be better suited for you.
Old 12-26-14, 09:55 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Why would you want working airbags at the track? Put in the Recaros and a hoop with a harness bar and put in a five point. Airbags kill people. Five point hitches save drivers every weekend.

I will never understand why people think getting punched in the face by MIke Tyson is a good idea.
Old 12-27-14, 03:35 AM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just buy a dedicated track/race car. I did and never looked back. My BMW M3 race car is light years faster than the F.
Old 12-27-14, 06:01 AM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Why would you want working airbags at the track? Put in the Recaros and a hoop with a harness bar and put in a five point. Airbags kill people. Five point hitches save drivers every weekend.

I will never understand why people think getting punched in the face by MIke Tyson is a good idea.
Speaking from experience, airbags have saved my life twice. One time when I was on my way out the front windshield. Besides, it's not as painful as you may think. I don't disagree with you about the 5 point harnesses keeping you planted in your seat, but what happens when the impact is so hard that your seat breaks? At the track you have a helmet, but it's not like he's going to unbolt his seat and return to stock after every track day.
Old 12-27-14, 09:11 AM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer

I don't think this is a conspiracy. Airbags have proven to save lives and have drastically improved since 1998 as they deploy slower to prevent injury or death. I always wear a helmet when I'm on the track and the idea of me hitting an airbag with my helmet rather the steering wheel, windshield or door makes me feel a little more comfortable out there.
Old 12-27-14, 09:18 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineAZ
but what happens when the impact is so hard that your seat breaks?
It takes a lot of force to break a normal seat belt. If you somehow get hit so hard that your 5-point belt breaks, then you're probably squashed like a bug anyways. I've sat in racecars with 5-points before, and no way you're going anywhere unless you weren't fastened in properly.
Old 12-27-14, 09:22 AM
obby
Lexus Test Driver

I'm sure you can trick the driver side with like a resistor, and as for the passenger side, i believe you need a passenger side weight sensor (aka OCS - occupant classification system). You can either ripped out of your stock seat or find a seat that is compatible to your car and rip the sensor off. Just my guess as that is what i did on my GTR. Also i have a pretty brand new pair of Recaro SPG in reg size for sale. Tag is good till 2019
Old 12-27-14, 09:23 AM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

So, back to the point of this post (because I'm also interested in the answer):Is there anyway to circumvent getting the airbag warning light if you switch out the factory seats?
Thanks,
R
Old 12-27-14, 10:37 AM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would look into resistors, most modern cars that guys swap out an air bag seat for an aftermarket seat use a resistor to trick the computer into thinking the airbag is still there.
Old 12-27-14, 12:21 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by obby
I'm sure you can trick the driver side with like a resistor, and as for the passenger side, i believe you need a passenger side weight sensor (aka OCS - occupant classification system). You can either ripped out of your stock seat or find a seat that is compatible to your car and rip the sensor off. Just my guess as that is what i did on my GTR. Also i have a pretty brand new pair of Recaro SPG in reg size for sale. Tag is good till 2019
Originally Posted by Sylvan
I would look into resistors, most modern cars that guys swap out an air bag seat for an aftermarket seat use a resistor to trick the computer into thinking the airbag is still there.
When we talked about this in 2009, Circuit MS said they would look into a resistor set up to fool the airbag computer.

If it were not for the integrated nature of the airbag ECU, I would just remove it entirely. It is where the "black box" (Event Data Recorder) lives, and people have been convicted of crimes based on the data in these devices. Besides this I have seen strong evidence airbags kill more than they save. Airbags have killed more children than school shootings. Airbags blind people - some temporarily, some permanently.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/20...-air-bag.shtml

http://articles.latimes.com/2002/nov...s/fi-airbags18

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...126-story.html

They claim Takata's airbags are "defective" but how is it possible to know if they are defective, or working as designed, but never-the-less causing more harm than good. Better still, who knows what brand of airbags are in their cars and what this manufacturer's track record for injury vs. saving lives is? Just another idiotic idea put in place by Joan Claybrook whose attitude towards cars is no different than Ralph Nader's.
Old 12-28-14, 03:32 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

I have to agree with Lobux on this one. I had a steering wheel air bag go off and it put 14 fractures in my sternum and 3 days in ICU. Other than that I wasn't hurt.
Old 12-29-14, 06:02 AM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Why I got a work bell paddle shift neo and a momo.. I hate airbags especially with all my the issues of the companies manufacturing them
Old 12-29-14, 10:27 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Lance and I disagree on many things, Airbags is NOT one of them. My wish is for four point seat belts for the two front seat passengers. As far as replacing the front seats, maybe someday, but the stock ISF seats are really not that bad. Beside that I'd miss the memory system.

Lou
Old 12-29-14, 11:23 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Lance and I disagree on many things, Airbags is NOT one of them. My wish is for four point seat belts for the two front seat passengers. As far as replacing the front seats, maybe someday, but the stock ISF seats are really not that bad. Beside that I'd miss the memory system.

Lou
Quoted for truth!

Quick Reply: Recaro seats??