IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

noob question on full exhaust and cats

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-14, 08:19 PM
Ltaboso
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default noob question on full exhaust and cats

I have a stock 08 isf, im planning to buy sikky non-cat headers and hopefully a full exhaust....i've been looking at pictures and i noticed there's 1 cat that i see everywhere,its the cat between the headers and exhaust...so my question is,what exhaust system eliminates this cat?
I know the full exhaust system will eliminate the secondary cat,but i hardly see an exhaust system that eliminates the other cat
Old 12-16-14, 08:21 PM
Ltaboso
Pole Position

No worries about the smog test in our country (philipines) they are'nt very strict about it =)
Old 12-16-14, 08:30 PM
Ltaboso
Pole Position

This is the cat i was talking about,i dont know if this is the primary...
Attached Thumbnails noob question on full exhaust and cats-screenshots_2014-12-17-12-25-37.png  
Old 12-16-14, 08:59 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Those are the secondary cats and they are eliminated with a cat back exhaust.
Old 12-16-14, 09:06 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jat0223
Those are not secondary cats. Those are high flow cats someone added to what looks like the stock exhaust system.

Secondary cats are a little further down on the stock exhaust setup
Old 12-16-14, 09:10 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Back to the op question, the primary cats are part of the oem exhaust manifold/header or whatever you want to call it. Stock is on the botttom

Old 12-16-14, 09:13 PM
Ltaboso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jat0223
High flow cats? You mean those cats are not AS restricted as the primary and secondary?
Old 12-16-14, 09:18 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ltaboso
High flow cats? You mean those cats are not AS restricted as the primary and secondary?
They are aftermarket and yes they are less restrictive then the oem because they generally have less cells
Old 12-16-14, 09:39 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by streetx
Those are not secondary cats. Those are high flow cats someone added to what looks like the stock exhaust system.

Secondary cats are a little further down on the stock exhaust setup
I was just answering his question about the cats that he sees "everywhere between the headers and the exhaust." As I said, those would be the secondary cats and would be eliminated with a cat back exhaust.
Old 12-17-14, 12:22 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Both Sikky and PPE headers eliminate the primary cats as per the photo above.

For those of us that must have some form of cats to be road legal, you can buy high flow cats to add to your aftermarket exhaust system. These are welded on to the end of your midpipe, and attach to the new headers.

If you don't need cats, you don't need to worry about adding them. Just buy the headers and whatever exhaust you want. Most aftermarket exhausts will have no cats installed (if not all of them).

Best of luck!

Cheers.

Peter
Old 12-17-14, 12:43 AM
Ltaboso
Pole Position

Correct me if im wrong...
1. Primary cats- in the oem exhaust manifolds(not seen in the photo)
2. High flow cats (color blue in the photo)
3. Seconday cats- in the middle of the car (color green in the photo)

So there are full exhaust systems that will eliminate the high-flow cats and the secondary cats without any cel? Most photos i see still have the high-flow cats,i was thinking maybe the high-flow cats are neccessary to avoid getting cels.
Attached Thumbnails noob question on full exhaust and cats-screenshots_2014-12-17-16-36-03.png  
Old 12-17-14, 01:50 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Correct (apart from possibly the high flow cats as I can't see them very clearly in your latest photo).

The high flow cats were the ones in green in post 3.

Yes there are systems and cars running no cats without CEL issues. The key is the O2 conditioner and correct installation.

From what I have read on here, I will probably buy a full set of new O2 sensors (4 in total) when I do my headers. That way I have them on hand if any of the originals break when we try to remove them from the OEM system.

If I didn't need cats for the UK MOT (our form of annual inspection of roadworthiness), I would run no cats whatsoever.

The law over here has actually changed recently. You now need to have the same number of cats on a vehicle as it did when it left the factory. I don't see how your average inspector will know how many cat's our cars had from the factory, but I guess I'll have to see what happens!

PPE or Sikky headers have no cats (therefore removing the primaries found in the OEM headers). Joe Z and pretty much every exhaust I've seen doesn't have cats either (removing the secondary's you find in the mid-section of the OEM exhaust).

Hope this clarifies things for you.
Old 12-17-14, 01:52 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

I should add I'd be very surprised to see someone running high-flow cats and secondary's??

I am pretty sure you would only need the hi-flow's to pass most sniffer type tests.
Old 12-17-14, 02:04 AM
Ltaboso
Pole Position

hi PDP180180,
"PPE or Sikky headers have no cats (therefore removing the primaries found in the OEM headers). Joe Z and pretty much every exhaust I've seen doesn't have cats either (removing the secondary's you find in the mid-section of the OEM exhaust). "

im looking for a type of exhaust that also eliminates the high-flow oem cats to get every bit of HP....will the joeZ PTS DES eliminate the OEM high flow cats? i know the secondary will be....=)
Old 12-17-14, 02:59 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

There are no high-flow cats fitted to the stock OEM exhaust system.

You have the primaries in the OEM headers (these are removed when fitting PPE or Sikky or Novel headers), and secondary's in the mid-pipe (these are removed when fitting say the Joe Z PTS exhaust system).

If you fit PPE/Sikky headers and a Joe Z PTS exhaust, you won't have any cats at all.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: noob question on full exhaust and cats