IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

SIKKY front sway bar for ISF !!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-14, 05:55 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I have had them on 2 cars and felt zero negatives in handling or grip. Maybe I will be the guinea pig. I hit the track with my F and I would like as much handling performance as possible. I do like the fact that it is adjustable
Old 12-19-14, 08:42 PM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I have had them on 2 cars and felt zero negatives in handling or grip. Maybe I will be the guinea pig. I hit the track with my F and I would like as much handling performance as possible. I do like the fact that it is adjustable
Youre one of the few ive seen on the track. I might get one of these as well.
Old 12-20-14, 09:01 AM
JE
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well we may consider putting together a group buy on these to get a few on some CL members cars and get some feedback from both the track guys and the ones that never leave the street.
Old 12-20-14, 01:44 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I will call around to get a quote on install. Very curious. If the softest setting is equal to the F sport ISX50, which is equal to ours then we can essentially go right back to stock if there are any issues or negatives with handling. I still doubt there will be any if I go to the middle setting.

When I first got my F ( like the day I drove it home) I literally said to myself " how the hell do people drop these cars" because it was so stiff and had so much more roll resistance than my LS. Now after a year with the car I can absolutely tell there is some roll.

What I am after primarily is less roll on the street when I am playing around , more direct steering feel and less corner exit oversteer .

ARE THERE ANY OWNERS OUT THERE WHO CAN CHIME IN ?

SIKKY, can you have an owner add some notes, feedback, etc ?
Old 12-20-14, 04:55 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Since you guys work on racecars, can you tell us what the optimum spring rate for a 2.4 Hz natural frequency is, and because you've measured at least one of these chassis, what is optimum ride height for the natural camber curves built into the F chassis? It would be a great starting point for deciding what sways are appropriate for this configuration.
Old 12-21-14, 08:21 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I am curious to find out how much stiffer the second setting is over stock. I know that sway bar stiffness increase as the 4th power of the diameter ( example: 22mm to 26 mm : 22x22x22x22 = 234,256. 26x26x26x26 = 456,976. Next you divide the two and BOOM you have a 1.95 time increase in stiffness.) , but Im not sure how to calculate the increase in stiffness with the adjustable settings. My last 2 sets were not adjustable which kind of took the guessing out of the situation. It was doe by the engineers so I didn't have to worry. This set up gives you the option to play around with it but I need more info to make an informed decision .

Last edited by I8ABMR; 12-21-14 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-21-14, 10:36 AM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Since you guys work on racecars, can you tell us what the optimum spring rate for a 2.4 Hz natural frequency is, and because you've measured at least one of these chassis, what is optimum ride height for the natural camber curves built into the F chassis? It would be a great starting point for deciding what sways are appropriate for this configuration.

Lobux.... Tisk tisk. Three settings come on man. I don't know of anyone developing an ISF race car So that information wouldn't have too much value. Lol
Old 12-21-14, 11:37 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Bigcloud
Lobux.... Tisk tisk. Three settings come on man. I don't know of anyone developing an ISF race car So that information wouldn't have too much value. Lol
How can you say you've developed an improved product if you didn't invest an hour in measuring a chassis, plug it in to your chassis modeling software, and at least mathematically determine what settings are best for your new configuration?

Or is it, we know bigger is better because it just is.

I've bought a lot of junk making lots of claims over the years. Few things I have bought made measurable improvements right out of the box.
Old 12-22-14, 12:41 AM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

How can you say you've developed an improved product if you didn't invest an hour in measuring a chassis, plug it in to your chassis modeling software, and at least mathematically determine what settings are best for your new configuration?

Or is it, we know bigger is better because it just is.

I've bought a lot of junk making lots of claims over the years. Few things I have bought made measurable improvements right out of the box.
You should know that the later applies because some/most small/mid companies probably don't have the necessary engineering department with the right skill sets or software to do those computations. Base logic is that bigger is better and if you mimic the design and make it adjustable you get the effect. I've had a hotchkis front and rear sway bars in my 350z and they looked exactly like the stock ones except they were substantially bigger with adjustment points. I saw immediate improvements in handling. With quantifiable results in my lap times as my car went from an understeering pig to a neutral pig.

On the other end at my final event at VIR in my race car the sway bar end link mounting on my strut broke leaving me with no front sway bar. I showed the head instructor/event coordinator who is a successful NASA GTS3 racer and he said we could run it. I then researched about running no sway bar and found a bunch of The miata racers do it. They increase their spring rates to compensate for it. So your statement has some validity. My race car turn in felt better without the sway bar. And mine is adjustable.

Last edited by Bigcloud; 12-22-14 at 12:57 AM.
Old 12-22-14, 07:59 AM
yjk1975
Pole Position

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I will call around to get a quote on install. Very curious. If the softest setting is equal to the F sport ISX50, which is equal to ours then we can essentially go right back to stock if there are any issues or negatives with handling. I still doubt there will be any if I go to the middle setting.

When I first got my F ( like the day I drove it home) I literally said to myself " how the hell do people drop these cars" because it was so stiff and had so much more roll resistance than my LS. Now after a year with the car I can absolutely tell there is some roll.

What I am after primarily is less roll on the street when I am playing around , more direct steering feel and less corner exit oversteer .

ARE THERE ANY OWNERS OUT THERE WHO CAN CHIME IN ?

SIKKY, can you have an owner add some notes, feedback, etc ?

The install is as easy as doing an oil change. When I discovered that the F-Sport rear is just a Hotchkis being sold by the dealer, I went ahead and bought the Hotchkis set for the 350 front and rear. I have had it on for over a year and about 10k miles. The improvement I felt was real. But less than expected. When I put on a hotchkis front and rear on my E46 M3, the improvement was night and day. The ISF, not so much. I did go on a drive after the install of the rear bar and after the install of both front and rear. Again, I believe there was a improvement just not a huge improvement.
Old 12-22-14, 08:14 AM
JE
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by yjk1975
The install is as easy as doing an oil change. When I discovered that the F-Sport rear is just a Hotchkis being sold by the dealer, I went ahead and bought the Hotchkis set for the 350 front and rear. I have had it on for over a year and about 10k miles. The improvement I felt was real. But less than expected. When I put on a hotchkis front and rear on my E46 M3, the improvement was night and day. The ISF, not so much. I did go on a drive after the install of the rear bar and after the install of both front and rear. Again, I believe there was a improvement just not a huge improvement.
Question for you on that Hotchkis bar. Did it have the metal tab for the headlight sensor on it? Would have been on the driver side. LMK
Old 12-22-14, 09:26 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by yjk1975
And this is my fundamental problem with all of this stuff. Feel is unimportant. Just because it feels better does not mean it performs better. It just means it feels better.

Show me it took x.xx seconds off a figure 8 time.

Show me it took x.xx seconds off your lap time at yyyyy racetrack.

Show me it raised my skidpad number 0.0x g.

All of these numbers actually mean there is an improvement. Feels better doesn't mean anything. I can tell you some of the worst mods I ever did felt good right away because for the amount of money I spent, they'd better! Then I measured them and found not only were they not good, but they weren't even as good as stock. Far too many people underestimate the effort the factory puts into building a suspension. Sure they have to make compromises, but they do an amazing job of making it all work together.
Old 12-22-14, 10:33 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

And this is my fundamental problem with all of this stuff. Feel is unimportant. Just because it feels better does not mean it performs better. It just means it feels better.

Show me it took x.xx seconds off a figure 8 time.

Show me it took x.xx seconds off your lap time at yyyyy racetrack.

Show me it raised my skidpad number 0.0x g.

All of these numbers actually mean there is an improvement. Feels better doesn't mean anything. I can tell you some of the worst mods I ever did felt good right away because for the amount of money I spent, they'd better! Then I measured them and found not only were they not good, but they weren't even as good as stock. Far too many people underestimate the effort the factory puts into building a suspension. Sure they have to make compromises, but they do an amazing job of making it all work together.
I agree with you that feeling does not mean it handles better..

However "feel" is what makes the driver feel more confident (perception) with the vehicle which can translate to higher driver confidence. The problem exists because the general public associate a softer ride with a poor handling vehicle. (aka a soft/body roll prone Camry Vs a stiffer vehicle like a 370z which obviously handles much better).

Theres a TON of variables which dictates the handling capability of a vehicle, suspension tuning is not common sense but that does not mean aftermarket products can help boost perception and ultimately increase lap times (until the driver tests gains experience with how the suspension mod effects handling)
Old 12-22-14, 10:44 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by ISFpat
I agree with you that feeling does not mean it handles better..

However "feel" is what makes the inexperienced driver feel more confident (perception) with the vehicle which can translate to higher driver confidence. The problem exists because the untrained and inexperienced general public associate a softer ride with a poor handling vehicle. (aka a soft/body roll prone Camry Vs a stiffer vehicle like a 370z which obviously handles much better).

Theres a TON of variables which dictates the handling capability of a vehicle, suspension tuning is not common sense but that does not mean aftermarket products can help boost perception and ultimately (decrease) lap times (until the driver tests gains experience with how the suspension mod effects handling)
Corrected for truth. A good driver will make the most of whatever is available. Most people on this forum would be stunned if they took a ride in a BMW SUV at the BMW factory school in South Carolina. Body roll isn't bad, and minimizing it isn't the goal. Getting all four tires to share the load as equally as possible in a completely unequal situation is what suspension engineering is all about.
Old 12-22-14, 12:15 PM
yjk1975
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JE
Question for you on that Hotchkis bar. Did it have the metal tab for the headlight sensor on it? Would have been on the driver side. LMK
Yes it was a direct fit. I think its discontinued. I believe I bought it through Figs.

Quick Reply: SIKKY front sway bar for ISF !!!