IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2014 Lexus IS F & 1997 Toyota Supra Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-14, 10:56 PM
BieberNutz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely beautiful cars! 1) I wasn't even aware that the Supra's had an optional active aero spoiler - very cool (watched a video of it in action and that thing moves pretty quick haha) 2) wonder why they didn't do something similar for the F's??? Def would've been a nice feature for maneuvering over speed bumps and sloped surfaces; especially for those lower than factory height.
Old 12-03-14, 04:09 AM
mkivowner
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kirk200
I was finally able to get my IS F and my Supra Turbo together for a photo shoot... Ultrasonic Blue (USB) and Royal Sapphire Pearl (RSP) end up being very similar shades of electric blue... my IS F has 1,700 miles on her now, and my Supra still has only 11,700 miles on her I deployed the Supra's front active spoiler halfway through the shoot as well.

Enjoy, and PM me if you want any hi-res (6000x4000 pixels / 10MB) native pictures for a desktop image...

Wishing everyone a safe and Happy Holidays!

Regards,
- Kirk

Kirk,
Nice Combo sir👍

Old 12-03-14, 06:07 AM
kirk200
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
That's one wicked pair you got there, is that the Saphire blue? those are very rare.....targa top?
Yes, Royal Sapphire Pearl - it was a new factory color for 1997, and was carried into 1998 when the Supra was no longer carried by Toyota/USA. Sales stats on the RSP color for the twin turbo / 6 -speed (and Lance is correct, all models at the end had the targa top "Sport Roof" option), was 21 made in 1997, and 10 made in 1998. The only two more rare colors were in 1998, when Toyota introduced a new silver color (Quicksilver FX), and a new green color (Imperial Jade Mica).

Regards,
- Kirk
Old 12-03-14, 06:10 AM
kirk200
Driver

Originally Posted by weswork
Another NC IS-F/Supra owner! I love it. Where in NC are you?
Hi Wes -
I live in Cary, NC, outside of Raleigh. I work in RTP. I used to hang out with the PacNW Supra group when I lived in Oregon, but I have since moved to NC (back in 1999). It seems there are several (many?) of us with this car combination.
Regards,
- Kirk
Old 12-03-14, 06:20 AM
kirk200
Driver

Originally Posted by BieberNutz
Absolutely beautiful cars! 1) I wasn't even aware that the Supra's had an optional active aero spoiler - very cool (watched a video of it in action and that thing moves pretty quick haha) 2) wonder why they didn't do something similar for the F's??? Def would've been a nice feature for maneuvering over speed bumps and sloped surfaces; especially for those lower than factory height.
Adding the Front Active Spoiler was on my to-do list for a long time. It was an option for the Japanese domestic market - never an option for the USA market. The parts from Toyota were prohibitively expensive back in the day, and of course no longer available... but I was able to source the whole assembly from a MKIV owner in the UK over a year ago, from a 1998 Japanese import with low miles - when you install a front mount intercooler you lose all the room that the Active Spoiler takes up. I had to fabricate my own wiring harness, but all the factory mount points are there on the USA model - I installed the Spoiler, the on-board Spoiler computer, and the factory enable/disable switch as well. It deploys automatically at ~55MPH, and scoops back up completely hidden beneath the front air dam at ~40MPH or so. It deploys very quickly - within a second or two. And it snugs up very firmly beneath the semi-flexible air dam as well effectively extending the front air dam by several inches when deployed. You can manually deploy it when the engine isn't running, for cleaning and such. That is why it's deployed in some of the pictures.

Regards,
- Kirk
Old 12-03-14, 06:28 AM
kirk200
Driver

Originally Posted by vbb
Very nice collection! It's funny that the Supra would actually fetch more on the market than the brand new ISF would. I bet people would pay upwards of $70K for that car with that color, such low mileage and in that condition. It's definitely a collector's item at this point.

Two of the best cars Toyota has ever made.
Thanks VBB, and all the rest of you, for the very kind compliments.

Regards,
- Kirk
Old 12-03-14, 06:34 AM
kirk200
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I drive my cars. Both my F and my Supra have well over 100k miles on them. My Supra turned 21 on May 28th of this year.
Hi Lance -

I didn't intend for the Supra to become the proverbial garage queen, and I know she's fallen into that category. She really has seen the track on many days, both in OR (at PIR in Portland) and in NC (at VIR in Virginia). She was also driven to one of the larger Supra meets in Las Vegas back in 1999. So she does get driven with spirit, but just not on a daily basis. And being a Toyota, she is ALWAYS ready to go. I have a couple of other cars (Audi/BMW) that are more of my DDs, so the Supra and the IS F do get driven, but on the more special occasions - what is cool is that driving either of these feels "like the first time" when you take them back out They never feel old and taken for granted that way.

Regards,
- Kirk
Old 12-03-14, 06:50 AM
kirk200
Driver

Originally Posted by ISF2NV
Thanks for the pic request Kirk

Awesome rides and they look amazing together . Colours are very close indeed.

When you're ready to part with the supra give me a shout
I'll send you the hi-res pics - I don't think I can PM them since they may be too big.
Will send them from my home email this week one night.

Regards,
- Kirk
Old 12-03-14, 06:23 PM
BieberNutz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adding the Front Active Spoiler was on my to-do list for a long time. It was an option for the Japanese domestic market - never an option for the USA market. The parts from Toyota were prohibitively expensive back in the day, and of course no longer available... but I was able to source the whole assembly from a MKIV owner in the UK over a year ago, from a 1998 Japanese import with low miles - when you install a front mount intercooler you lose all the room that the Active Spoiler takes up. I had to fabricate my own wiring harness, but all the factory mount points are there on the USA model - I installed the Spoiler, the on-board Spoiler computer, and the factory enable/disable switch as well. It deploys automatically at ~55MPH, and scoops back up completely hidden beneath the front air dam at ~40MPH or so. It deploys very quickly - within a second or two. And it snugs up very firmly beneath the semi-flexible air dam as well effectively extending the front air dam by several inches when deployed. You can manually deploy it when the engine isn't running, for cleaning and such. That is why it's deployed in some of the pictures.

Regards,
- Kirk
Extremely cool that's for sure
Last night when I saw your post I of course had to go look for a video to see this in action and this was by far the best clip I found - does exactly as you described:

Old 12-04-14, 08:09 AM
kirk200
Driver

Originally Posted by BieberNutz
Extremely cool that's for sure
Last night when I saw your post I of course had to go look for a video to see this in action and this was by far the best clip I found - does exactly as you described:

MKIV Supra Active Spoiler - YouTube
Yes, that is it... there are a "few" of these installed on MKIV Supras here in the US, including mine. A bunch are overseas in the UK, Australia and Japan of course. Over there they are jettisoned when replacement FMIC's go in. While the FMIC upgrade is pretty popular, I think it was Lance who may have helped prove that the smaller factory IC (located in the passenger side intake/scoop) does a pretty good job as-is for running factory boost on the stock twin turbo chargers.

Regards,
- Kirk

P.S. To anyone who wants access to the hi-res photos, I did (finally!) manage to get them posted on my Google Drive (link below). You may need to request access to download them. Just learning how to use Google Drive

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_e...ew?usp=sharing
Old 12-04-14, 08:11 AM
kirk200
Driver

Originally Posted by mkivowner
Kirk,
Nice Combo sir��

Thanks - looks like you ALSO have a very nice low-mileage 1997
And you are running a "white" theme vs. my "blue" theme

'97 Supra Just T.turbo ... "White" Only 19K miles.

- Kirk

Last edited by kirk200; 12-04-14 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-08-14, 09:47 PM
Dnfwm
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Absolutely amazing. That supra is already worth a fortune. I can't imagine what it would be worth in another 20 years. Beautiful cars sir.
Old 12-09-14, 08:01 PM
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

makes me miss my supras, lovely pair.
Old 12-16-14, 03:11 PM
mkivowner
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks - looks like you ALSO have a very nice low-mileage 1997
And you are running a "white" theme vs. my "blue" theme

'97 Supra Just T.turbo ... "White" Only 19K miles.

- Kirk
Look like it huh "lol"
Old 12-16-14, 04:05 PM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet rides Kirk! I just got in to a USB ISF the other month and just joined this forum. Been waiting months for a USB to come around, and I choose that color because it reminded me so much of RSP. My other ride also being a Supra MKIV(Black)...funny how I am not surprised to see other Supra owners with ISFs here. Some people are envious of owners who have Supras...but Supra owners will always be envious of the guys with the RSP.

Quick Reply: 2014 Lexus IS F & 1997 Toyota Supra Turbo