IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Some guys just don't get the "F"

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-14, 02:28 PM
Maskaveli
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happened to me today pumping gas. "Hey man is that the IS350 F Sport?" Hard to not sound pretentious with my reply, "no man, thee ISF". He complimented the engine note and couldn't believe is was a 5.0 but I agree most people have no clue about this car.
Old 11-29-14, 07:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I saw a local ISF with the plate VEEEEE8. Need to let people know this is not your garden variety 350 with springs. THIS IS THE REAL DEAL F CAR !!
Old 11-30-14, 06:55 AM
Gonzilla24
Rookie

Default I laugh

I get annoyed by these x50-F questions all the time. I try to explain the difference between them. Still get the deer in headlights look so I use the Mustang, Mustang GT, Shelby. Then the light bulb shines bright.
Old 11-30-14, 08:06 AM
Katin2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had it happen twice in the past week. A valet said I've never heard a lexus sound like that usually their quite. I explained the F.

The second I was walking out of a meeting and the person I was with showed me his new IS 350 F. I said looks awesome I drive an IS F and he said to me so do I. So I politely explained the difference and he said so when can I drive yours.
Old 11-30-14, 10:41 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gonzilla24
I get annoyed by these x50-F questions all the time. I try to explain the difference between them. Still get the deer in headlights look so I use the Mustang, Mustang GT, Shelby. Then the light bulb shines bright.
excellent idea. I don't usually have this issue because people don't even comment on mine . I just notice my F doesn't turn heads like my LS did. I kinda of dig the IS500 explanation. The one time I did have someone ask I just told them it is the M3 competitor with a V8. Then the kid said "yeah... my moms IS350 had a V8. " I explained the difference between the 350 and F and how the 350 means 3.5L engine. He didn't believe me and proceeded to google it on his phone in front of me. I politely said " read up and learn " and walked away.
Old 11-30-14, 10:52 AM
specie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexusNN
Last time it didn't get any attention. But today I saw a few pics being taken and hopefully a video from peeling out of the lot
You've got some attention but I don't think its positive attention leaving in that manner.
Old 11-30-14, 10:07 PM
nsx042003
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LO 21
No worries haha.

On some brands, it is indeed random. Here's a basic jist:

Lexus:

BMW:
First number = model of car. Second and third numbers = engine size.
(435i = 4 series, 3.5 liter engine)

AHHAA u did that just to **** off those BMW fanboys didn't you.
Old 12-01-14, 07:22 AM
LO 21
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nsx042003
AHHAA u did that just to **** off those BMW fanboys didn't you.
Oops haha. I just googled it. 3.0 liter inline 6 cylinder.
My list of cars and what the model numbers mean was a rough explanation. I'm sure I got some of the details wrong, but the general idea is there
Old 12-01-14, 06:37 PM
ACE350
Driver School Candidate

It's so funny reading the post on this topic because I'm sure we can all relate. I've owned my F for less than 3 months and having to explain that my car is not a 250 or 350 f sport all the time is crazy.
Old 12-01-14, 11:20 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Yea, to add to the confusion, Ultrasonic Blue was initially exclusive to the F until the F-sports came out. Doh. Looks like Lexus sold a bunch of F-sports though, so I don't think this "brand dilution" will end anytime soon, just like someone mentioned that other car manufacturers are all doing the same for the $$$.

In fact an article just came out that MB is going to slot something between the regular trim and the AMG models, like Audi with the A -> S -> RS.
Old 12-02-14, 07:23 AM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't know you F guys were so against the F Sport. Let's just look at it this way: the more F sport Lexus sells, the more money Lexus can put into R&D in the F. These cars are not high volume sellers so I don't believe they solely generate enough revenue to sustain future development. Yes, the F sport may dilute the F brand, but it also brings more exposure to the F. Like some have stated, the average joe may not even know what F is all about. So enjoy your Fs. They are special cars. Know that people who own F sports truly respect the F. Why do you think some posers replace the F sport emblem with the F? Lol
Old 12-02-14, 07:31 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

This is a great thread lol... can't wait to level up in the ranks some day.
Old 12-03-14, 07:59 PM
BieberNutz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LO 21
Lol. Amazing response. I'm going to have to use that.

My favorite is from guests/passengers (a.k.a. females):
"Oh I love your blue. I have the same one in white!"

No you don't, honey. No you don't..
LMAO - love it hahaha. My neighbors girl told me she was "getting my car" in January when her current lease is up. Naturally I asked "you're getting an 'F'" to which she replied "yeah!". Of course she went on to talk about how because it was a 2014 so it was the "newer body style" at which point I realized she didn't realize exactly what she was talking about or implying haha. As most have pointed out, it's hard to get upset with folks because most of these uneducated consumers are bred partly due to how confusing Lexus is making it with their advertising and how much they're pushing the F-Sport option.

I made and shared the image below a while back citing how VERY different these emblems were despite what first glance would have you believe

Old 12-03-14, 09:53 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

the logos keep getting closer and closer. Nobody is to blame for this more than Lexus marketing. Its pathetic. Even people within the brand who own the cars and are fans still dont know the difference. No wonder exhausts and the number one mod for this car. You kind of have to announce THIS HAS A V8!!! You'd think the huge hood and fender thats slit open would give them a clue
Old 12-03-14, 10:17 PM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

thats a funny story

Quick Reply: Some guys just don't get the "F"