IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Power loss mod?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-14, 08:48 PM
TISF
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power loss mod?

So when I had my straight pipes I noticed at WOT the car was fast and the power was there but recently I put the borla catback + resonator removed back on and I feel a lot more faster for some reason also me and my friends 370 race around a lot. Before with straightpipes I would pull maybe 2-4 cars on him if I get a good start or if he doesn't jump me . But lately with the borla I've been pulling more of a 4-6 car lengths and we keep going i just keep pulling in him anyone know why? Maybe back pressure ? Or is it just a borla thing lol I doubt it though. Someone elaborate because I'm planning to do a custom quad magnaflow at the rear similar to the Greddy . Oh and one more thing I have ppe headers on both straight piped and now .
Old 11-12-14, 05:00 PM
Ianx12
Driver School Candidate

Straight pipe exhaust in some cases may cause your car to lose torque.
Old 11-12-14, 05:45 PM
TISF
Driver

Originally Posted by Ianx12
Straight pipe exhaust in some cases may cause your car to lose torque.
If I went and did a custom magnaflow would it be the same as the straight pipes or similar since they're mufflers are a straight through design without much restriction
Old 11-13-14, 01:57 PM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

I think its in your head...

On the dyno every time I open up my E-cutout (direct to atmosphere, no cats etc) I pick up 7hp and torque.
Old 11-13-14, 03:27 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I dont think its in his head if he can objectively tell that he is pulling harder on the 370.

Last edited by I8ABMR; 11-13-14 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-13-14, 09:37 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe the 370s running slower....
Old 11-13-14, 10:24 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

On a naturally aspirated car, you do need some backpressure to extract maximum power. If the piping is too big, or the system too free flowing you might lose a lot of low-mid range power.

I picked up nearly 30whp peak and over 40whp in the midrange with my Borla system. Power was added from low- high and it got rid of the stock dip in power in the upper rev range. Gained power everywhere, it was an amazing mod and I love it.
Old 11-14-14, 01:32 AM
Stuno1
Driver

What is the difference in terms of power between the X pipe design and the dual pipe design on cat back systems on the F (no headers)? Has anyone actually done a test? I always assumed the X pipe design would result in turbulent exhaust flow and as such creating a more free flowing system would only benefit the power of the car, all be it by very few HP.

I can't see there being much of a difference as long as the pipe bore is the same as the stock pipe. Even if there is a difference I can’t see it being more than 5-10hp and I can’t see someone really feeling that power difference on a car with over 400 ponies.

Stu
Old 11-14-14, 04:38 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Do you think the exhaust you designed is better than the factory system? Its really going to come down to knowledge of air flow dynamics accompanied with time to test a product. Its very possible that your straight pipes are not suited for the power band of the car and slowing you down a bit.
Old 11-14-14, 08:15 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS
On a naturally aspirated car, you do need some backpressure to extract maximum power. If the piping is too big, or the system too free flowing you might lose a lot of low-mid range power.

I picked up nearly 30whp peak and over 40whp in the midrange with my Borla system. Power was added from low- high and it got rid of the stock dip in power in the upper rev range. Gained power everywhere, it was an amazing mod and I love it.
I'm just gonna say it... bull****, one dyno to the next doesn't prove anything. 40HP on a dynojet is 20 on a Dyno Dynamics

And i've owned the Borla before my HKS SSM
Old 11-14-14, 09:38 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

LOL google the question and you will find you are not the only one. There are a few M3 owners with the same issue . HAve you checked for any leaks ?
Old 11-14-14, 10:06 AM
MGordo
Driver

Originally Posted by 4everkidd
I'm just gonna say it... bull****, one dyno to the next doesn't prove anything. 40HP on a dynojet is 20 on a Dyno Dynamics

And i've owned the Borla before my HKS SSM
To be fair he didnt say it was on a different dyno....

And:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...and-24wtq.html
Old 11-14-14, 11:40 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,844 Likes on 2,332 Posts

No engine needs "back pressure." That's what people who don't understand gas theory say.
Old 11-14-14, 12:32 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
No engine needs "back pressure." That's what people who don't understand gas theory say.
I stand correctly, I guess it stems from my Honda days where everybody would use that word loosely basically to describe the need to "restrict" the exhaust to an extent. The point remains that exhaust gas slows if the piping is too large or the system is too free flowing in the low to midrange, creating a loss of power.
Old 11-14-14, 12:38 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you talking about an ISF? Can you show a dyno chart to see such a great improvement only from your Borla? It doesn't sound right.

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS

Quick Reply: Power loss mod?