IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Electric exhaust cut out valve system

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-14, 04:06 PM
teamcalvin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric exhaust cut out valve system

Has anyone bought a suppressor for their exhaust off ebay? My ISS forged QES exhaust is getting a little too loud.. I want to open my exhaust when i drive alone, and close it when my family/girlfriend is in the car lol..

thanks,
Calvin
Old 11-05-14, 05:17 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

You mean something like this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-muffler.html

Lou
Old 11-05-14, 06:17 PM
teamcalvin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
something like it, but for the ISS forged one.. something like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/QTP-QTEC30-3-Electric-Exhaust-Cutout-Valve-/191371524971?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c8ea1bb6b&vxp=mtr
Old 11-05-14, 08:18 PM
calteg
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

The "suppressor", as you put it, is actually called a resonator.

The harmonic characteristics of most V8s induce a really irritating drone around 2,000 RPM, especially if you have a free flowing exhaust like the ISS.

A cutout isn't going to make your ISS exhaust any quieter. Also, I've never seen an electric cutout that didn't leak after a year or so.
Old 11-06-14, 06:40 AM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

I had there http://www.carchemistry.com/cc-inserts/ on a previous car. They eliminated drone with almost no restriction.
Old 11-11-15, 10:31 AM
teamcalvin
Pole Position

bump... I dont mind the loudness of the exhaust, just the drone in the cabin when i drove around 70-80
Old 11-11-15, 02:42 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by teamcalvin
bump... I dont mind the loudness of the exhaust, just the drone in the cabin when i drove around 70-80
I have the QTP cutout from an exhaust I bought off 4everkidd. When it's closed it doesn't make it any quieter.. You'll want a helmholtz resonator if you're looking to eliminate drone.

Last edited by j3ff; 11-13-15 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-11-15, 04:16 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I totally know what you mean. The cruising rpm for the F is right around 2k at highway speeds so it get's "droney". I end up speeding up usually, turning up the radio , or both. I have gotten used to it. I do miss my LS460 sometimes. That damn thing was so quiet I could barely hear a semi truck driving right next to me . INSANE !

I think if a race shop could weld a helmholtz chamber or side branch resonator off the side the muffler it would quiet it down. The issue is doing the harmonic calculations that will allow you to figure out what size works
Old 11-11-15, 08:10 PM
teamcalvin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I totally know what you mean. The cruising rpm for the F is right around 2k at highway speeds so it get's "droney". I end up speeding up usually, turning up the radio , or both. I have gotten used to it. I do miss my LS460 sometimes. That damn thing was so quiet I could barely hear a semi truck driving right next to me . INSANE !

I think if a race shop could weld a helmholtz chamber or side branch resonator off the side the muffler it would quiet it down. The issue is doing the harmonic calculations that will allow you to figure out what size works
Yeah man, i'm thinking about just running stock again.. kinda miss having a quiet car lolol. i can't get around to sell my F because ill miss the v8/speed way too much!
Old 11-11-15, 08:31 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah man, i'm thinking about just running stock again.. kinda miss having a quiet car lolol. i can't get around to sell my F because ill miss the v8/speed way too much!
LOL i've been having this dilemma for a while now. All my other toys are loud but this drone kills me
Old 11-11-15, 08:40 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR

That's why I didn't go for the Joe Z exhaust I test drove an F with a Joe Z and the drone around 2k rpm killed my ears and drove me crazy. I know a lot of guys have gotten used to the drone, but apparently some won't get used to it no matter how long they have an aftermarket exhaust on the F??

I think the Borla is better in this regard because of the resonator that comes with that system?? Guys with the Borla exhaust chime in and let us know if you have the same drone as the Joe Z/ISS forged etc.....

I'm still on the stock exhaust for now......
Old 11-11-15, 10:07 PM
sahelmad24
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the 2.5" QTP electric cutouts. They are really sweet. 90% of the time i drive around stock and its really quiet, but when I want to have some fun I open them up. Let me tell you this, the car with the cutouts open is insanely loud but unfortunately drones really badly as the exhaust dumps out right underneath the cabin. All in all its a pretty nice setup.
Old 11-11-15, 11:14 PM
enkei54
Driver School Candidate

Drone is mild around 2k with my Borla catback and turning the radio on will cover up 85-90% of the drone. My Borla is a used system, however, and has a small crack on the outlet wall of the resonator which may affect the sound. I'll report back after it's welded and fixed.

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
That's why I didn't go for the Joe Z exhaust I test drove an F with a Joe Z and the drone around 2k rpm killed my ears and drove me crazy. I know a lot of guys have gotten used to the drone, but apparently some won't get used to it no matter how long they have an aftermarket exhaust on the F??

I think the Borla is better in this regard because of the resonator that comes with that system?? Guys with the Borla exhaust chime in and let us know if you have the same drone as the Joe Z/ISS forged etc.....

I'm still on the stock exhaust for now......
Old 11-12-15, 06:24 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickna
I had there http://www.carchemistry.com/cc-inserts/ on a previous car. They eliminated drone with almost no restriction.
Interesting.
Old 11-12-15, 08:01 AM
teamcalvin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sahelmad24
I have the 2.5" QTP electric cutouts. They are really sweet. 90% of the time i drive around stock and its really quiet, but when I want to have some fun I open them up. Let me tell you this, the car with the cutouts open is insanely loud but unfortunately drones really badly as the exhaust dumps out right underneath the cabin. All in all its a pretty nice setup.
Are you running stock exhaust? I wanna run it on my QES exhaust, but not sure if it'll eliminate most of the drone. Even some of it would help lol

Quick Reply: Electric exhaust cut out valve system