IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

What is the Expected Impact of RC-F on IS-F Prices?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-14, 12:17 AM
Stuno1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't understand why people think it will impact the isf... It's a 3 door so a different market.
Old 10-11-14, 06:08 PM
JdSwiper
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuno1
I don't understand why people think it will impact the isf... It's a 3 door so a different market.
I think their hurting their Buisness by making the RCF a three door. I think they would of doubled their sales if it was a door door!!
Old 10-13-14, 08:24 AM
Pole Position

ya latest door door sales numbers are through the roof.

RC-F is getting lukewarm reviews everywhere, too heavy and too slow in the world of 425whp M3's. i don't think (nor care) it will do much to hurt IS-F values.
Old 10-13-14, 08:42 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by JdSwiper
I can tell you one thing, the coupe looks pretty small as I just stood in front of one about an hour ago. I know most buy for sporty but I'm willing to bet there's a good percent of guys that are married or have a kid who would rather have the sedan! I
think that could hurt the sale of the RC pushing more buyers towards the GS !!! Just my two cents!
I don't know many people who are young and single who can afford a 70k car. I think thy need an ISF again !
Old 10-13-14, 10:19 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 786
RC-F is getting lukewarm reviews everywhere, too heavy and too slow in the world of 425whp M3's. i don't think (nor care) it will do much to hurt IS-F values.
Along with the coupe vs sedan sentiments, your statement pretty well sums it up.

I cannot wait to see one on the showroom floor here in Austin. Because as soon as the sales guy asks me if I'm interested, I can say, "Why? My ISF is faster than this RCF and can actual compete versus its competition. Meanwhile, this RCF has fallen totally flat vs the new BMW."

Now, I am interested to see what kind of aftermarket performance mods will become available for the RCF. Hopefully they raise the RCF's game.
Old 10-13-14, 12:31 PM
Pole Position

Aftermarket will likely be the same as our cars as it shares our drivetrain. But we'll see.

Chris Harris summed up the RC-F best when he said it showed up to a 2014 party in 2008 clothes.
Old 10-13-14, 08:16 PM
calteg
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by digger08
IMO.....I think the prices will continue to decline slowly on the IS F (as they have been), then the demand will become short and the price will work its way back up again and hold. This seems to be the trend for Lexus vehicles...at least in my market.

Digger08
This. IS-F supply is just too small. Depreciation will continue to chip away for a few more years, then prices will probably level off for a long, long time.

Originally Posted by 786
Aftermarket will likely be the same as our cars as it shares our drivetrain. But we'll see.
Sort of. Valvetrain and most of the rotating bits in the bottom end are different.

Last edited by calteg; 10-13-14 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-14-14, 01:27 AM
RNISF
Rookie

I dont think it will really drop too much considering the RC-F is a 2 door. The ISF as a four door is very appealing to some people......like me.
Old 10-14-14, 06:19 AM
ICEBERGS
Lead Lap

Im not sure if the release of the RCF is playing a part or not, but I have seen quite a few ISFs with pretty low prices..... I have seen some that have just reached 100k and were $23 - $25K.....does that sound about right for that mileage? if so thats bad news to alot of people just jumping in to 08s that are priced around 28 with similar miles..maybe those cars are just priced aggressively
Old 10-14-14, 09:32 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ICEBERGS
Im not sure if the release of the RCF is playing a part or not, but I have seen quite a few ISFs with pretty low prices..... I have seen some that have just reached 100k and were $23 - $25K.....does that sound about right for that mileage? if so thats bad news to alot of people just jumping in to 08s that are priced around 28 with similar miles..maybe those cars are just priced aggressively
Once cars hit that magical 100k mark their resale value usually takes a huge hit.

Actually $25k for a 6 year old car with 100k miles that cost probably $60k new in 08 isn't so bad.

Imagine a 6 year old, originally priced $60k German car with 100k miles. Probably worth 8 grand max.

When I was cross shopping an E90 M3 and an IS-F, I saw two clean ones at CarMax.

For the extended warranty on the M3, to 100k miles, it costed almost $4000. The IS-F extended warranty was a little over $1500 for up to 150k miles. CarMax knows what's up..lol.
Old 10-14-14, 09:40 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by melbitoast
Along with the coupe vs sedan sentiments, your statement pretty well sums it up.

I cannot wait to see one on the showroom floor here in Austin. Because as soon as the sales guy asks me if I'm interested, I can say, "Why? My ISF is faster than this RCF and can actual compete versus its competition. Meanwhile, this RCF has fallen totally flat vs the new BMW."

Now, I am interested to see what kind of aftermarket performance mods will become available for the RCF. Hopefully they raise the RCF's game.
I actually just went through a similar experience last timeIi was at the dealer servicing the IS250. A random sales guy who recognized me asked when I was going to get an RCF and all I could do was laugh.

Me: Why would I get a 2 door car that will always be slower than my isf and cant even beat an M3?
Sales Guy: But the all new engine....
Me: How is it going to help when a 4 door m3 is way faster
Sales Guy: The sound is really what matters
Me: Never really liked the sound of loosing... Maybe when im older and just play gulf all day

Hopefully the FT1 comes out before I have grand children so I can drive a space ship around town lol
Old 10-14-14, 10:41 AM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS
Once cars hit that magical 100k mark their resale value usually takes a huge hit.

Actually $25k for a 6 year old car with 100k miles that cost probably $60k new in 08 isn't so bad.

Imagine a 6 year old, originally priced $60k German car with 100k miles. Probably worth 8 grand max.

When I was cross shopping an E90 M3 and an IS-F, I saw two clean ones at CarMax.

For the extended warranty on the M3, to 100k miles, it costed almost $4000. The IS-F extended warranty was a little over $1500 for up to 150k miles. CarMax knows what's up..lol.
not just our cars, pretty much any car takes a dump once they are over 100k
Old 10-14-14, 06:54 PM
jamesw95
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I don't know many people who are young and single who can afford a 70k car. I think thy need an ISF again !
ISF is a 70K car. That is if there was a 2015, my 2012 was $66,700. They won't get cheaper.

Last edited by jamesw95; 10-14-14 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-15-14, 05:23 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
I actually just went through a similar experience last timeIi was at the dealer servicing the IS250. A random sales guy who recognized me asked when I was going to get an RCF and all I could do was laugh.

Me: Why would I get a 2 door car that will always be slower than my isf and cant even beat an M3?
Sales Guy: But the all new engine....
Me: How is it going to help when a 4 door m3 is way faster
Sales Guy: The sound is really what matters
Me: Never really liked the sound of losing... Maybe when im older and just play golf all day

Hopefully the FT1 comes out before I have grand children so I can drive a space ship around town lol
LOL, "The sound is what really matters"....what, the sound of the exhaust coming from the M3/M4 leaving my ***???

Considering my second ISF won't be paid off for another few years, I guess I'll just hold out a little hope that the 2018 return of the ISF is true.

Look, I like the RCF. And I love that Lexus is trying. I just have to keep reminding myself that though its (RCF) supposed to be viewed as an M4 competitor, it was not designed and built to really compete with the M4. There are so many more luxuries, comforts, and technologies built into the RCF than the M4, that the car is simply too heavy and mindfully restricted to truly compete. And the reliability will always be an issue for the Germans, so there's that.
Old 10-19-14, 07:38 PM
sr20bet
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is-f pricing is very local to a certain degree. it's not a easy car to because the market isn't very big for this market placement and the media has people thinking some alternatives are better on paper on in marketing.

Quick Reply: What is the Expected Impact of RC-F on IS-F Prices?