IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Alcantara to full leather, would you?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-14, 04:13 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Alcantara to full leather, would you?

Has anybody traded seats in their IS-F?

What do you guys think is worth more? Full leather or Leather/Alcantara? Or are they equal in value?

I have a local IS-F owner who really wants to trade me his alpine full leather interior for my black Leather/Alcantara seats.

I'm not gonna lie, the Alcantara/Leather is AWESOME, holds me like glue and super comfortable but the thought of having a contrast of white interior with a black exterior is really making me consider..

What do you guys think? Would the value of my car take a hit if I swapped?
Old 10-08-14, 04:28 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

even though i love the color combo (i have an obsidian w/ the alpine white), i wouldn't trade IF i started off w/ the alcantara. have you seen the condition of the white interior? also, the white coloring/leather is really weak. i have bad signs of wear and tear, on the side bolster, the bottom outside bolster part and even in the butt area. (white color has worn off.) and i basically only wear smooth slacks when i'm in my car bc it's a mon-fri car. i also hop in and out wearing cotton shorts for the gym but no jeans, no buttons to scratch against, etc.

not sure how durable the alcantara is.
Old 10-08-14, 04:35 PM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

i mean i don't think so, its just seats. i personally woulnd't do it though, the alcantara is so much nicer imo, more luxurious feel and like you say it grips you better.
Old 10-08-14, 06:14 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cremaster
even though i love the color combo (i have an obsidian w/ the alpine white), i wouldn't trade IF i started off w/ the alcantara. have you seen the condition of the white interior? also, the white coloring/leather is really weak. i have bad signs of wear and tear, on the side bolster, the bottom outside bolster part and even in the butt area. (white color has worn off.) and i basically only wear smooth slacks when i'm in my car bc it's a mon-fri car. i also hop in and out wearing cotton shorts for the gym but no jeans, no buttons to scratch against, etc.

not sure how durable the alcantara is.
Thanks for the heads up cremaster, I wondered how alpine would hold up.

I do admit alpine looks quite sexy. As far as Alcantara, the seats in my IS-F looks pretty much new, except minor wear (wrinkles) on the driver side bolster.
Old 10-08-14, 07:02 PM
ForzaF
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It's all personal preference but I think the full leather seats feel tighter or firmer then the suede from personal experience maybe cuz my bro in law is a bigger guy and stretched his seats a bit more. But yeah like the other guy said my 12f with under 30000km or 18500 m is seeing a bit of wear and tear from getting in and out . I would say they are high Maintnance like a woman .

Anyways just have a 2nd look at his if u do decide to trade.
But consider this down the road if you decide to sell the buyer might not like the fact it's not to the matching build spec sheet. It's a big deal to some think of it as not a numbers matching car.
Old 10-08-14, 09:12 PM
v8sten
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

id trade you, but mine are black leather
Old 10-09-14, 05:28 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The blue dye in jeans easily transfers to the alpine leather. There was a thread regarding this issue a few years back. You may want to read it before you make your decision.
The other issue with white leather is that once the leather starts to crack and age all of the crevasses will fill up with dirt and will be hard to get clean without having the leather dyed again.
Old 10-09-14, 08:47 AM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Had an 08 with full leather seats and now i have a 12 with the alacantara/leather.

The alcantara/seats overall feel more comfy than the all leather seats, so i wouldnt do that trade
Old 10-09-14, 11:10 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I personally dont like Alcantara. Looks cheap to me and lint loves to stick to it. Leather all the way, BUT now white leather. You will need to clean that with a brush and cleaner way too much to keep it looking good.