IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

OEM TPMS with Aftermarket Valve Stems

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-14, 12:28 PM
Sean
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM TPMS with Aftermarket Valve Stems

I have new wheels coming and was planning on just swapping my current TPMS sensors to the new wheels, however it occurred to me that even though its a minor detail, the valve stems won't blend too well. Other than just keeping the OEM valve stems and TPMS, I figure I have a few options.

Option 1: Matching aftermarket valve stems with the factory TPMS. I can get these for $50 but I've been advised that they may not not work with the OEM TPMS.

Option 2: Get a used set of factory TPMS and paint the valve stems, nut and find some matching caps. $100. Unfortunately, doing this, I'd still have older sensors unless I found some from a much newer car. I also don't really want to deal with disassembling and painting such a small item right now.

Option 3: Aftermarket valve stems with aftermarket sensors that I know will work with them. I can have these installed on the wheels before they are shipped for $230. I would also have to pay whatever to have them initialized and programmed to my car, which I am not sure how much will run me. I may be able to find them cheaper if I shop around and then install them myself or have the shop that does mounting/balancing do so. I also am not sure whether or not there are any potential issues with aftermarket sensors. The one time I put new wheels on a car they weren't even compatible with TPMS so I just went without them.

I'd like to go with option #1 if anyone can confirm it would work since it is the least expensive and I wouldn't have to worry about programming.

Thoughts?
Old 10-06-14, 02:24 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

I just did this. The Pacific sensor's stem is not removeable. The nut and the cap are, but there is a small amount of real estate in the stem itself.

I buffed the nut and stem with 240 grit wetordry and rinsed as I sanded. I painted with "Professional" enamel after taping everything up with painter's tape. No paint on the threads! The easy way to do this is to poke holes in a piece of cardboard, insert the stems into the cardboard, tighten the nuts down all the way, then install some plastic caps over the end you will put the valve stem cap. Don't tighten them all the way down, only far enough to keep the threads clean for the aluminum ones you can buy anodized (you could paint them too, but anodizing will tolerate abuse better). Then paint it all the right color with very light coats. Avoid drips at extreme cost. You can bake it in the oven at 175 degrees, or just let them dry. I used fast dry paint so I was good to install in an hour. Be careful on the install so you don't mar the paint with the installation tool. I did it myself because I have the torque tools. It's pretty easy.

This is how it looked when I was done:

The shiny spots are reflections, not thin paint. It could not have come out better.
Old 10-07-14, 07:34 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! I remember seeing that in your thread where you showed off the new wheels and tires (which again, look very nice.)

I guess that rules out option 1. The entire process doesn't sound bad, but I'd like to keep it simple, which may be worth an extra $130 to me. I suppose I could just keep the stock sensors and find a cap that is more matching to the wheels. I'll have to think about it a little more.
Old 10-07-14, 09:55 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

FWIW, I bought 5 used TPMS sensors from an eBay merchant. They all worked flawlessly. I am not terribly worried about service life mostly because I rarely have a set of tires on the car for more than a year. So if I really need to replace a sensor, it won't be annoying for long.

I'm saving the 5th one just to see how difficult changing the battery in one is.