IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

On-going 2IS Issue - SHIELD, REAR FLOOR HOUSING

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-14, 11:26 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts
Default On-going 2IS Issue - SHIELD, REAR FLOOR HOUSING

Ever since I first had this issue on my IS350, it has been problematic. Lexus calls the part SHIELD, REAR FLOOR HOUSING. It is held on by a plastic grommet with a screw and one very expensive CLIP, ROCKER PANEL MOULDING.

I have bought more than one of these things over time to replace the ones which have disappeared - and I mean lock, stock, and barrel. I have to order the plastic grommet, the screw, the clip, and the part itself.

I know these devices are purely to enhance aerodynamics, but it would seem they either do something to reduce fuel consumption, or Lexus put these on the car just to make us buy parts to routinely replace them. Very annoying. Anyway, in case anyone needs these parts, I've listed them here. I have also bought a box of 15 of the very expensive clips from www.clipsandfasteners.com for $12 - way cheaper than the $7.42 I paid for just one at the local Lexus dealer, and way cheaper than any Lexus Internet retailer.

SHIELD, REAR FLOOR HOUSING (RH) - 57497-53050
SHIELD, REAR FLOOR HOUSING, NO.2 (LH) - 57498-53050
Standard part (grommet) 90189-06172
Standard part (screw) 90159-60507
CLIP, ROCKER PANEL MOULDING - 75867-30120

My bet is, if 50 members went out and looked for this part on their cars, they would find it missing completely from at least one side. I surely wish I knew why they refuse to stay on the car.

Not the black arrow - the dingy looking plastic piece hanging down in front of the tire.

2IS Forum post - same issue
Old 09-28-14, 06:05 PM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Yeah, I have to periodically take mine off to clean out the little bits of gravel and road that get stuck between the "shield" and "floor" as it gets loose, I've been lucky I haven't lost one yet though.
Old 09-28-14, 07:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I was wondering what the deal was. I had the same issue and was wondering if the car had previous body work. Glad to know its normal. I just took it in and they replaced the 3 that we're missing in 10 min
Old 09-28-14, 08:19 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

funny you posted this today, was washing my car today and i noticed mine is hanging off on one side now
Old 09-29-14, 07:28 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I actually noticed mine missing a few months ago from the drivers side, and had to buy a replacement. I figured something caught me under the car, but it's good (bad) to know it's an actual issue.

I don't know how long I was driving without one, and I don't recall noticing anything different, but I figured it did something, so back on it went.
Old 10-01-14, 07:03 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

LOL!

Thanks for posting this...both of mine are gone from the car and I never noticed. Oh well.
Old 10-01-14, 11:59 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

that will affect aero .....slightly. All that is down there to smooth out airflow.
Old 10-01-14, 12:11 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

I heard they replaced the clip with an updated stronger one not long ago..

I've already replaced the push clips once, never had another problem since.. with new clips..

Joe Z
Old 10-01-14, 12:52 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
that will affect aero .....slightly. All that is down there to smooth out airflow.
I like to look at it as the car rejecting parts that are too weak for it. Our cars "self lighten".
Old 10-01-14, 02:42 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
I like to look at it as the car rejecting parts that are too weak for it. Our cars "self lighten".
That is officially the coolest explanation I have heard yet. LOL
Old 10-02-14, 07:03 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Ok it took me sometime to understand what the picture was showing, since I was looking at the black arrow.

But if you're talking about the mud flap behind the rear wheels then yes I agree, my driver side one has been loose for a few months and now it's just vanished.

I'm planning on installing a new one but adding some 3M tape and I'm sure it'll never come of.

Wherever I've used 3M tape on has held on solid and never come off, unless I rip it off the car.

Last edited by Defratos; 10-04-14 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-02-14, 09:29 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I heard they replaced the clip with an updated stronger one not long ago..

I've already replaced the push clips once, never had another problem since.. with new clips..

Joe Z
My missing one had the new clip. I wish it were that simple.

Originally Posted by Defratos
Ok it took me sometime to understand what the picture was showing, since I was looking at the black arrow.

But if you're talking about the mud flap behind the rear wheels then yes I agree, my driver side one has been loose for a few months and now it's just vanished.

I'm planning on installing a new one but adding some 3M tape and I'm sure it'll never come of.

Whatever I've used 3M tape on has held on solid and never come off, unless I rip it off the car.
I like the way you think. I hadn't thought about using an adhesive, but if it works for a lip, it should surely work for this thing.
Old 10-08-14, 10:54 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I went to Autozone on Sunday and got some 3M trim adhesive - the double sided gray sticky foam - and I put it on today after cleaning everything with soap and water. They are a lot more rigid with tape on them. Hopefully it puts an end to having them separate from the car at random intervals.

Time will tell. I'll update in a few months.
Old 10-08-14, 02:38 PM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

My IS350 is missing this part completely on the passenger side. Like I8ABMR I thought mine was missing due to previous body work, because I know my car has had some work on the passenger side.

It is on my wishlist, but haven't got around to ordering a replacement, partly due to the cost of the clips, so thanks for the cheaper source!

Last edited by WylieKylie; 10-08-14 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-08-14, 03:12 PM
supafreeza
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I went to Autozone on Sunday and got some 3M trim adhesive - the double sided gray sticky foam - and I put it on today after cleaning everything with soap and water. They are a lot more rigid with tape on them. Hopefully it puts an end to having them separate from the car at random intervals.

Time will tell. I'll update in a few months.
If you want something even stronger...go with 3M VHB 5952. This stuff puts the 3M heavy duty double sided tape (gray) to shame. It also contours slight surface imperfections much better.

Quick Reply: On-going 2IS Issue - SHIELD, REAR FLOOR HOUSING