IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Favorite replacement battery for ISF?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-14, 05:46 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Favorite replacement battery for ISF?

my battery went dead about a year ago. I jumped it, but it has gone dead on me 2 times since then while sitting in my garage for a few days (sometimes I will go 4 to 5 days without driving the ISF). went to start it this morning, and the battery was dead on me again. Rather than jump it, I think it is time to just replace the battery. For those of you that have done this, what was your choice or replacement?
Old 09-26-14, 07:59 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Optima Red Top. Can't leak, always works, doesn't drain quickly, a little lighter than stock.
Old 09-26-14, 10:45 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Plus 99 for optima red top lolz
Old 09-26-14, 11:35 AM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I usually go for yellow (which is overkill). But my other cars use to have audio equipment that I would play with the engine off. Also helps when its super cold.
Old 09-26-14, 12:46 PM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

yellow top is better for playing music with the car off vs red? like it will last longer before its completely drained?
Old 09-26-14, 12:59 PM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you guys don't mind me askign, how long do Toyota/Lexus batteries usually last for?

I'm thinking about changing to a new battery on my 08 with 43k miles. Last thing I want is the car dying on me during winter
Old 09-26-14, 01:45 PM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by scamsel
yellow top is better for playing music with the car off vs red? like it will last longer before its completely drained?
I believe the size of the battery determines how long it will last... But it may also be a factor. Its what I picked up from my audio person. They told me to get yellow, if you have an amp in the car.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/support/faqs
Old 09-26-14, 06:28 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Thanks to those that have responded. A couple of follow ups:
1.) I do have an aftermarket amp in my car that puts out 250W rms (500W peak) and is pushing a single 10" JL sub. Still recommend Red Top, or should I get Yellow Top? Like I said in my first post, sometimes my car will sit in the garage for 4-5 days without getting driven and then some days I'll drive it 7 days in a row. It all depends on the weather.

2.) Does the Optima battery (Yellow or Red) fit in the stock battery location without any problems?

The Yellow Top is about 2x the price of your typical Duralast battery that can be purchased at AutoZone or Advanced Auto Parts. I did notice that both the Duralast and the Optima are made by Johnson Controls. I don't mind paying double for better quality, but I don't want to pay double just for a name either.

To the guy that asked how long does the stock battery last... my car is an '09 with 40,600mi on the odo. I think it would have been stronger longer, but about a year ago I drained it down while tuning my audio system in my garage and it has been giving me trouble after I don't drive the car for awhile ever since. Probably killed a cell.
Old 09-26-14, 06:42 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
Thanks to those that have responded. A couple of follow ups:
1.) I do have an aftermarket amp in my car that puts out 250W rms (500W peak) and is pushing a single 10" JL sub. Still recommend Red Top, or should I get Yellow Top? Like I said in my first post, sometimes my car will sit in the garage for 4-5 days without getting driven and then some days I'll drive it 7 days in a row. It all depends on the weather.

2.) Does the Optima battery (Yellow or Red) fit in the stock battery location without any problems?

The Yellow Top is about 2x the price of your typical Duralast battery that can be purchased at AutoZone or Advanced Auto Parts. I did notice that both the Duralast and the Optima are made by Johnson Controls. I don't mind paying double for better quality, but I don't want to pay double just for a name either.

To the guy that asked how long does the stock battery last... my car is an '09 with 40,600mi on the odo. I think it would have been stronger longer, but about a year ago I drained it down while tuning my audio system in my garage and it has been giving me trouble after I don't drive the car for awhile ever since. Probably killed a cell.
then yellow top is what you want. its a deep cycle battery. even when its dead, it will charge back strong.
Old 09-26-14, 09:12 PM
chris6878
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i know the yellow and red tops dont fit in stock. how did u guys get them in?
Old 09-26-14, 09:27 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm gonna go with a different choice. I chose a deep cycle Stinger battery which is made by Odyssey battery company. Looks much nicer than the Optima.
Old 09-27-14, 07:49 PM
Jowett
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Diehard Platinum, it's also a rebadged Odyssey. The only caveat is that Sears has been teetering on the edge for some time now, so if you ever did need to warranty it... well, you could be sol.
Old 09-27-14, 10:25 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My stock battery lasted 5 yrs. It would last longer if I didn't have a short commute, less than 15 min.
Old 09-29-14, 05:35 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is a picture and it was aesthetically pleasing for what I was going for. I'm sure if you compared warranty and CCA thee may be cheaper batteries out there. I was happy with mine.
Attached Thumbnails Favorite replacement battery for ISF?-engine-shot-by-nick-debono.jpg   Favorite replacement battery for ISF?-motor-pic.jpg  
Old 10-04-14, 03:57 PM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

anyone know what size optima battery to get that fits best? and also if there are any needed mounting accessories for the yellow top?

does anyone know if this yellow top fits or rather how much issue it fits with?

OPTIMAŽ Batteries 8171-767 DS46B24R YELLOWTOP

tahnks!
b

Last edited by scamsel; 10-04-14 at 04:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Favorite replacement battery for ISF?