IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Valve adjustment at 29k miles? Is that right?

Old 09-24-14, 10:27 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Valve adjustment at 29k miles? Is that right?

So I was looking through the service record of my 2012 IS-F with 30k miles on it, recently purchased it as a CPO vehicle.

A couple things on there concerned me a bit, it looks like every 5k miles the records show the car went into the body shop for UPS - deductible $100. Anybody know what UPS means? Detail I hope? Maybe PDR (paintless dent removal)? Hope it's nothing serious, because there are about 5 records of it going to the body shop for UPS whatever that means....

The paint is 100 percent original though the front bumper looks to be repainted because it looks too brand new to be on a 30k mile car. No rock chips. Not one.

Another thing of concern is at 29k miles the record shows the valves were out of adjustment and were adjusted due to a ticking sound. Was my car severely beaten on? Why would the valves be out of adjustment at only 29k miles when service actually calls for a measurement at 60k.
Old 09-24-14, 10:57 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

They may have misdiagnosed and tried to fix the ticking noises by doing the valve adjustment. Engine ticking noises are not uncommon. Do a search as it has been discussed a couple years back (?)

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS
So I was looking through the service record of my 2012 IS-F with 30k miles on it, recently purchased it as a CPO vehicle.

A couple things on there concerned me a bit, it looks like every 5k miles the records show the car went into the body shop for UPS - deductible $100. Anybody know what UPS means? Detail I hope? Maybe PDR (paintless dent removal)? Hope it's nothing serious, because there are about 5 records of it going to the body shop for UPS whatever that means....

The paint is 100 percent original though the front bumper looks to be repainted because it looks too brand new to be on a 30k mile car. No rock chips. Not one.

Another thing of concern is at 29k miles the record shows the valves were out of adjustment and were adjusted due to a ticking sound. Was my car severely beaten on? Why would the valves be out of adjustment at only 29k miles when service actually calls for a measurement at 60k.
Old 09-24-14, 11:07 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Its true. My LS and my ISF have that little tick. I think its normal and maybe a little of the direct injection tick as well
Old 09-24-14, 11:45 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by avgj0F
They may have misdiagnosed and tried to fix the ticking noises by doing the valve adjustment. Engine ticking noises are not uncommon. Do a search as it has been discussed a couple years back (?)
If it was a misdiagnosis and they did the valve adjustment when not needed, would that mean they threw it out of spec now?
Old 09-25-14, 05:07 AM
v8sten
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These cars have solid lift cams in them, so they are precicly set, I assume with feeler gauges. I have adjusted many solid lift cams in the past, and when you can actually see the cam too see that the rocker arm is on the back side of the lobe it makes it much easier to adjust. The ticking comes from the direct injection, injectors cycling, which i can see to be confused with lash adjustment. If you are concerned with the valve lash, go have it checked if you dont know how to do it yourself, I doubt they are "out of spec" but it wont hurt to have it checked out.
Old 09-25-14, 06:02 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,835 Likes on 2,324 Posts

Originally Posted by v8sten
...but it wont hurt to have it checked out.
Easy to say for the man who has not done the task. It's not small, it's not quick, and it's not fun. It's also not going to be cheap by any stretch of the imagination especially if they decide they need to make an adjustment. The cams have to come out to change the shims according to the service manual. I probably would have figured out a way to avoid pulling the cams had I needed to change a shim, but as luck would have it, everything was fine. Same has been true for my Supra for over 155k miles. No valve lash adjustments ever needed.

My valves were all within spec at ~62k miles. The requirement to inspect the lash went away in MY 2010 for the US, and our Canadian member have said Lexus Canada does not have a recommendation for lash inspection.

There was one member here who got a valve lash adjustment done under warranty for a ticking noise and said it got better. Everybody else has replaced the serpentine belt and tensioner and got the noise to go away.
Old 09-25-14, 07:52 AM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS
If it was a misdiagnosis and they did the valve adjustment when not needed, would that mean they threw it out of spec now?
Probably not, they probably brought it back into spec IF any adjustment was needed
Old 09-25-14, 04:34 PM
runyonwc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm the one who had my valves adjusted at 63000 miles. I still haven't heard the ticking noise since he adjustment. My driver's side valves were said to be on the high end of the spec and Lexus of Orlando adjusted that side to the low end of the spec. The passenger side was said to be in the middle of spec. I can't tell that it runs any better, I just don't hear the ticking anymore.

Before they did the valve adjustment they tried swapping the driver's and passenger side high pressure fuel pumps to the other side but the noise did not follow the pumps.