IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Borla exhaust with custom tips?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-14, 10:28 AM
MGordo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Borla exhaust with custom tips?

I tried searching but didnt come up with much, but looking to see if its possible to put custom tips on the Borla cat-back exhaust? Love the look of the ISS exhaust (And others that dont use OEM tips) but not sure how feasible it is with the spacing of the outlets.

Im fairly new to the ISF scene as Ive had the car for two weeks now. So far Ive done the HPS intake, SSR wheels and hoping the Borla arrives early next week along with an interior LED kit. After that most mods will likely go on hold as I will be on the hunt for a winter rim/tire combo.

Thanks!
Old 09-12-14, 11:01 AM
BluStreak1
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have that setup. I bought it off of another member here. It looks to be 3" MagnaFlow tips welded on. I like the look.

Old 09-12-14, 11:04 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

that looks good ^^. too bad my borla doesn't line up straight on one side. don't have the time to mess around w/ it.
Old 09-12-14, 01:06 PM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

^same here
Old 09-12-14, 01:19 PM
Sean
Lead Lap

The best looking custom tips I've seen, aside from those on the ISS (and that one-off Greddy) were attached to the stock mufflers. I wish it were simple to do something like this with the Borla, and especially Joe-Z exhausts, and have it look as nice as the ISS-Forged.
Old 09-12-14, 01:40 PM
MGordo
Driver

Thats exactly what I want to do.. now to find some nice 3" tips.
Old 09-12-14, 05:24 PM
2011slvISF
Rookie

ISS uses double walled magnaflows....i've got the QES
Old 09-13-14, 12:37 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by cremaster
that looks good ^^. too bad my borla doesn't line up straight on one side. don't have the time to mess around w/ it.
Originally Posted by BS ISF
^same here
I am absolutely getting an exhaust on my ISF and I was leaning towards the Borla for cost but when I hear stuff like this it makes me worry.
Old 09-13-14, 03:35 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

i really like the diffuser, what diffuser is that? would the stock exhaust work with that diffuser?
Old 09-13-14, 04:28 AM
ISFalex
Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I am absolutely getting an exhaust on my ISF and I was leaning towards the Borla for cost but when I hear stuff like this it makes me worry.
GO JOE-Z!!! it's the best IMO
Old 09-13-14, 05:29 AM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
If the exhaust doesn't align well or rubs somewhere, it's installation error and not a design flaw. No matter what exhaust you go with you will have this problem if it's installed improperly.
Old 09-13-14, 09:32 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

^^^^IMHO, the Borla is not and never has been a well designed exhaust system. It's built around a price point rather than a design or quality point.

Years ago, when I had a G35, David Borla and I had a rather spirited discussion about this on a G35 Forum. Anyway, again IMO, the clamps are poorly designed and prone to leak. If the exhaust is installed on a lift by a professional, and then when proper fitment and clearance is attained, which can be a chore, the pipes should then be welded. Only then will the Borla be an acceptable exhaust system.

I have no experience with the DSS system, so I can't comment on it, but those who have it seem to love it. However I do have experience with both the JoeZ and the PPE systems. Both of them are well designed and well made, use quality componentry and are made to fit well on installation. Yes, the Borla is less expensive and from what I understand the folks who have it say the full system (not the axle back) has a nice tone. But again, I don't believe it (or any Borla system) is a quality exhaust system.

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 09-13-14 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-13-14, 09:35 AM
BluStreak1
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chris07is
i really like the diffuser, what diffuser is that? would the stock exhaust work with that diffuser?
It's the Arkym diffuser. I bought it damaged off another member and had it repaired. They couldn't save the CF finish, so I decided to paint it and my side skirts the color of the factory wheel for contrast. Still deciding if I like it...
Old 09-13-14, 10:14 AM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
^^^^IMHO, the Borla is not and never has been a well designed exhaust swith system. It's built around a price point rather than a design or quality point.

Years ago, when I had a G35, David Borla and I had a rather spirited discussion about this on a G35 Forum. Anyway, again IMO, the clamps are poorly designed and prone to leak. If the exhaust is installed on a lift by a professional, and then when proper fitment and clearance is attained, which can be a chore, the pipes should then be welded. Only then will the Borla be an acceptable exhaust system.

I have no experience with the DSS system, so I can't comment on it, but those who have it seem to love it. However I do have experience with both the JoeZ and the PPE systems. Both of them are well designed and well made, use quality componentry and are made to fit well on installation. Yes, the Borla is less expensive and from what I understand the folks who have it say the full system (not the axle back) has a nice tone. But again, I don't believe it (or any Borla system) is a quality exhaust system.

Lou
Well I installed mine on Jack stands, got a prefect fitment and haven't had any sort of problems with fitment or leaks. The clamps allow adjustments for perfect alignment and fitment. So to me it's a well designed system and provides the perfect noise level, not too loud but not too low.
Old 09-13-14, 04:00 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

I've self-installed Borla Cat Backs on 2 previous cars, never a problem.

Quick Reply: Borla exhaust with custom tips?