IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

PSA: Don't buy this IS-F from CarMax

Old 09-12-14, 07:06 AM
hapasaiyan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSA: Don't buy this IS-F from CarMax

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/...results%20page

So, I went to check out this IS-F the other day. I had it shipped over from another CarMax to the one nearest me. The pics are crappy, but in looking at the car 100 times before I was able to see it in person, I noticed that the driver's side wheels are black, whereas the ones on the passenger side are the stock color. Weird.

Regardless, it was a 2010 with 33k miles for $40k. A little on the high side, but it's a CarMax car, so the quality should be a little better than buying from a private seller, right? Well, no. Seeing the car in person, from a distance, it looks perfectly fine. Upon closer inspection, the wheel well liner behind both of the rear wheels was ripped/not attached. Maybe they just needed to remove the bumper to repaint it? Then, I noticed the mesh around the stacked exhaust outlets was silver, not the dark gray it should be. Then, I noticed the bumper trim area under the exhaust outlets looked bolted on. Then, I noticed the mis-matched tires.

Regardless, might as well take it for a drive to see how it runs. Sit inside the car, and notice the clear plastic piece that covers the PRND area had a TON of scratches. 33k miles, and this much wear? Odd. Start driving it, and notice the shifting is a little slow. I downshift and the shifting is SLOW. Put it into manual mode next. Where is the gear indicator? When I stick it into manual mode, the box lights up, but no number shows up. Must be a faulty LCD, right? Well for someone who has an IS-F already, you know there is no separate box for the gear indicator. I did not know it at the time, but after the test drive, I did some google image searches for the IS-F gauge cluster and noticed that the car did not have an IS-F gauge cluster...it had a standard IS cluster. Some further reading revealed that the mileage is stored in the gauge cluster.

So, I don't know what happened with this car, but it seems like some odd franken-car. Most likely, they pulled the old bait-and-switch with the gauge cluster of a standard IS at a junkyard. So this is my public service announcement- do not buy this car.

edit: I see the link says the car is no longer available...meaning the car either got reserved for someone, or someone is shipping it to a different CarMax. I hope the person interested sees this.

edit2: This link should work-

http://www.carmax.com/enus/transfers...P&loc_num=7128

Last edited by hapasaiyan; 09-12-14 at 07:10 AM.
Old 09-12-14, 07:38 AM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Isn't the downshifting on the ISF slow to begin with? Or was this even slower than normal?
Old 09-12-14, 08:07 AM
mattbeeezy
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

whats up with that shift ****? looks like it came from an LS.... and yeah you were right the wheels look like they were repainted on one side. They are 2011 stocks though! lol
Old 09-12-14, 08:27 AM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mattbeeezy
whats up with that shift ****? looks like it came from an LS.... and yeah you were right the wheels look like they were repainted on one side. They are 2011 stocks though! lol
Those are 2010 wheels. 2010 and 2011 share the same style wheels.
Old 09-12-14, 08:34 AM
hapasaiyan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kzlflash
Isn't the downshifting on the ISF slow to begin with? Or was this even slower than normal?
It was pretty quick on the 2013 I test drove a couple weeks ago.
Old 09-12-14, 08:43 AM
hapasaiyan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mattbeeezy
I don't know, but it sure was ugly. Red mahogany wood shift **** in an IS-F? Why??

The wheels are 2010 (and 2011) wheels.
Old 09-12-14, 09:12 AM
mattbeeezy
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jat0223
Those are 2010 wheels. 2010 and 2011 share the same style wheels.
Originally Posted by hapasaiyan
I don't know, but it sure was ugly. Red mahogany wood shift **** in an IS-F? Why??

The wheels are 2010 (and 2011) wheels.
you guys are right.. I just bought a set for my 08 I thought they only came on 11's
Old 09-12-14, 09:42 AM
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that car looks extra suspect, like someone modded in poor taste and then tried to put back to stock to sell.
Old 09-12-14, 11:18 AM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The photos do look really clean. I wouldn't have noticed at all
Old 09-12-14, 11:26 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,280 Posts

^^^^Oh come on. The Cluster, Wheels, and Shift **** are dead giveaways. Any knowledgeable buyer would know immediately that there was something seriously amiss with this ISF.

Lou
Old 09-12-14, 11:26 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

those are definitely non ISF gauges. ISF gauges before the 2011 change had this silver bezel around the tach and speedo
Old 09-12-14, 11:36 AM
Cronic
Pole Position

That car is suspect as hell.

One thing. That damn plastic window over the "pnd" indicator must be super crap material because everyone I've ever seen on a used isf has some degree of scratching. I've seen a few with fairly low miles, mint interior, yet that piece was scratched up.
Old 09-12-14, 11:37 AM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
^^^^Oh come on. The Cluster, Wheels, and Shift **** are dead giveaways. Any knowledgeable buyer would know immediately that there was something seriously amiss with this ISF.

Lou
Wheel and shift **** I noticed. The gauge cluster I really didn't.

And you're right, any knowledgeable buyer would/should noticed. I got more research to do since I'm window shopping too
Old 09-12-14, 12:10 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I dont may people who even have taken it for a ride. It's a suspect ride.
Old 09-21-14, 11:45 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

My guess is someone pulled a fast one on Carmax. That car probably has 100k miles and they just swapped in a low mileage is350/250 cluster before trading in. Ouch.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PSA: Don't buy this IS-F from CarMax