IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Why you picked an F

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-14, 02:26 PM
WillRockwe
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why you picked an F

We were moving into a neighborhood that had nice cars, and at the time I was driving a Mazdaspeed 3. My son needed a car, so I decided to let him drive the Mazda. I've always had sporty cars, my choice for a family car when our son was born was a 5.0 Mustang, trading up from a Fiero GT.
We drove an emerald green Jaguar F, but it felt like a big boat, despite the supercharger and pedigree. I knew I didn't want a Beemer, BMW drivers tend to be a s s h o l e s. What to get? It had to be fancy looking yet fast as hell. I liked the numbers on the CTS-V, but it just looks so tacky, I couldn't buy one. I had never heard of the IS-F, but I found a review on YouTube and got interested. Then I drove one. It put a smile on my face. I was convinced this was a good decision, Lexus quality and all. Two years later I still wear a smile.
That's my story, what's yours?
Old 07-20-14, 03:13 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Back in late 2008 I was driving a modified G35 6MT Sport Coupe and my late wife was driving a Camry 4Cyl. She had fallen in love with the Lexus ES350, and I agreed to get her one.

I sent out eMails to all the Lexus dealers in the Phoenix area, and waited for responses. When they started to come in, I started negotiating for the car I wanted for her over the telephone. We found the car she wanted at the price I would pay, and I made the down payment by credit card.

The next day we were off to the dealers, and we picked up her car. While we were there, I noticed 7, yep seven, brand new ISFs in a row just outside the showroom's front door. I had read about them, and the car I had before the G35 was an 5MT SC300. The minute I stepped into the G35, I immediately missed my SC300, but by then it was too late. I had given my old coupe to my wife's son, which was a big mistake on my part, but that's another story.

Now, I did not go to the dealer to buy a car for me, truly I did not. But, while there, I thought why not ask for a test drive. Well, I did, and I was hooked. A week later I called the dealer, and we started negotiating, 2 weeks after that, we agreed on a price for the one I wanted. Only issue was it had chrome wheels and Bridgestone tires. I made them replace the wheels with the grey stockers with Michelins. The rest is history. But, I swear, I did not go there to buy me a car, really I didn't.

Lou
Old 07-20-14, 03:19 PM
jackhui
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I proposed to my girl friend and was planning to get married the following year. I had a Honda S2000 at the time and it is not the best suited family car out there... So I had to upgrade to something that is a sedan but still satisfied the car enthusiast in me.

I initially decided on getting a ISx50 since there's a big modding community for it and parts were readily available. However, one day I saw an IS-F at one of the dealerships. So I went out for a test drive.

I signed the papers after 15 minutes
Old 07-20-14, 04:03 PM
kbtoiz
Pole Position

I used to drive a '06 TL back home, then an 97 Prelude when I moved here. Was tired of going to nice restaurants on the 'lude so I told my self F' it! Never test drove it. Only saw pics and vids but I knew that was the car I wanted.
Old 07-20-14, 04:23 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

I had a BMW M Roadster and watched the ISF review on Top Gear. Always loved Japanese cars and the reliability that comes with them. With the novelty of the BMW completely gone, I headed to the dealer to test drive the F. In the middle of winter with dry roads, I hammer it off the light. The secondary opens, car turns sideways, traction control kicks in and saves my *** and at that exact point the car was sold. I have never owned a car longer than 2 years, the F is at 2.5 years currently and I have no intention of letting it go. Still makes me smile every time I drive it.
Old 07-20-14, 06:58 PM
RMA
Driver

I had an immediate interest when first released in 2008 when dealers were selling them at sticker $60k if I recall but at the time I was more so a BMW fan myself having owned a E46 M3 coupe then selling it for a 335i coupe & then to a 135i M sport coupe w an Infiniti G coupe along the way. Finally replaced my G37 S coupe for a extremely low mileage 2009 F to satisfy my liking on the F since its release. Could not be any happier
Old 07-20-14, 07:52 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

where else are you going to find a japanese performance V8? The 5.0 engine is a rare thing, and V8s are becoming more endangered.
Old 07-20-14, 09:28 PM
TranV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a G35 coupe, got married then she got pregnant with twins so I needed a sedan. Looked at the M3 sedan, didn't like the way it looks. Looked at the C63 and worried about maintenance. My wife has the RX350 but still wanted me to have a sedan just in case. So i test drove the IS-F and hooked. She thought it was an IS and wondered why it was so expensive. After I explained it to her she just shook her head and made me promised her not to do any mods, I did. 11 months later, all I'm missing are headers!
Old 07-20-14, 09:49 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Back in 2007, the IS F was still barely making its rounds to all the auto shows and displays. I decided to put my name on the preorder list just in case I really fell in love with the car and wanted it when it finally arrived. Meanwhile, I was working and studying my way through college. At this point, I realized if I really wanted this unknown car, I'd need to make it worthwhile for me so as to not just have the mindset of owning just another car. I continued to work my butt off both on and off campus, kept my grades up, and actually graduated a year early than anticipated. I officially completed my undergraduate degrees in December, and January was when I received a phone call from my local dealer's representative about some incoming vehicles, with the IS F arriving that night.

While they had no bearing on my decision (Mom loves BMW and Dad has an affiliation with Mercedes), I wanted both of them to be present when I take delivery of the first car I could proudly call my own. A terrific late birthday/graduation gift to myself was glowing when I entered the garage. I knew exactly which one I wanted- an Obsidian/ black interior with white stitching MY2008 IS F. My parents were busy getting to know the car, while I signed the paperwork and all was done.

The reasons why I chose this over the other vehicles I was considering (a 2008 M3, a 2008 E63 AMG, and a 2008 CTS-V) was that all three had a heritage in place already, and no one knew of what the Lexus F performance line was all about, the M3 and E63 (yes, not the C63) both had fuel pump issues and I wanted a vehicle that didn't spend a good amount of its time at the dealership for repairs or work done, the Cadillac still needed exterior refinement despite having a plethora of power, and all three were established in the market. I wanted something that would be brand new to the market, stylish and a body style that would age well, and would make me feel joyful everytime I drove it. The IS F was a perfect choice for me.

While it doesn't have the aftermarket support as any of the other three vehicles has, I still appreciate the F for how it is with its powerful engine, its luxury sport feel simultaneously felt when I'm behind the wheel, and its reliability. I am so proud to be a part of the growing Lexus F heritage, and to have owned this sexy beast since its inception in the automotive market.

I can never see my IS F as just another car after all the thought and hard work and effort put into attaining it. I hope future F owners, whether it be the IS F, LFA, or RC F enjoy it to the fulllest and realize that we are all part of this F heritage. Similar to the M and AMG currently, the F will be at that level with further development and even more F models introduced. Long live the F!
Old 07-20-14, 11:33 PM
mrkim
Banned

because I wanted a rear wheel drive sedan that is not german
Old 07-21-14, 05:38 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My salesperson is a hottie.
Old 07-21-14, 05:39 AM
mrkim
Banned

^^^^ lol good one...
Old 07-21-14, 06:26 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I've already decided my next car would be a V8. F cars are high on that list, I'll revisit that in a couple years to see how used pricing is on various V8s. But a Japanese 5.0 V8 that sounds like a muscle car is just so unexpected, thats why its alluring to me.
Old 07-21-14, 06:38 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

After 2 fixes for the cam drive noise on my IS350 I was ready to do something else. The electric vs. oil pressure intake cam drive was a big deal for me. I liked the C63 AMG, but seeing real world gas mileage around 12 mpg and the gas guzzler tax didn't make my A list. Too many friends with issues with Audi, I would never buy a gas powered Audi (but will definitely consider a TDI Q5 when it's time). BMW has had reliability issues that are legendary, and any manufacturer who can't get rod bearings right from the factory does not get my money.

Having two other Toyotas in the garage and a subscription to TIS made it easier to make the decision, but I have to say, the first shots I saw of the car did not impress me. The USB looked almost purple in the photo shoot at/near Willow Springs, and that particular car had cut springs which made it look like a caricature, not something I would take a client to lunch/dinner in. Happily, the production version wasn't quite so slammed.

December to Remember, with $2k in trunk money and 1.9% financing made it all pretty simple. I didn't need a test drive, I already knew what the car would do just from looking at the numbers.
Old 07-21-14, 08:05 AM
CCLSVTF
Driver

Kind of fell into it. I had an E90 M3 that I loved. The wife bought me a Ford Raptor truck and she said she would drive the M3 as her DD. After about 6 months she hated it and begged me to let it go. I said ok because she got me the Raptor. She wanted an IS and I said if we are letting my dream car go, no way will we trade up for anything less then the ISF..... 3 yrs later and now she wants a Panamera. Go figure.....

Quick Reply: Why you picked an F