IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Why you picked an F

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-14, 08:36 AM
T4kAttack1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After driving a '97 Avalon for 6 years i needed....wanted a new car. After so much research and saving up i decided on this baby. The speed, the style, the reliability of it is what drew me over to it. I didn't want a BMW or Audi that would break on me after x miles, and no other car could compare to the F. In my venture i test drove a couple of Mercs, BMW 335i, Couple of Audi's, 370z, G37, and a few more in that list. Nothing really came close to this. Huge trunk space, 4 seats, and that speed is what i needed. Very very happy . A couple years of saving and I'm a new owner as of this past Saturday!
Old 07-21-14, 11:08 AM
todd4566
Pit Crew

I have owned 6 cars in my life... 4 of them mustangs. When I first came to Lexus I went with an IS530, and after about a year of ownership I missed the roar of a V8 greatly.... ISF to the rescue! Haven't looked back, and I plan on driving this car for several more years.
Old 07-21-14, 12:17 PM
wmjeffreyw
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I drooled over them in 08 when they first came out, but knew at the time it was not financially feasible to buy one and I had my SC400 at the time. Well the next year I went to Skip Barber and drove one at Laguna Seca, although I still was not ready to purchase a F I knew that was the car I NEEDED!! The intake sound was music to my ears. Last year I decided it was time get myself a new Toy. I owned the SC for 12 years and it was time to step it up a little. The F was not a step it was bound!! Every time I get in the seat and push Start, I get excited, and every time I open her up, chills of excitement run down my spine followed by a childish chuckle. Best Toy Ever!!! Just wish I was in town more to drive it. Jeff

Last edited by wmjeffreyw; 07-21-14 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-21-14, 12:33 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had enough lunch money leftover from the day to splurge on a car.. the IS-F seemed like a good fun car to have at the time.
Old 07-21-14, 12:47 PM
PremiumG
Driver

It's June 2013, it was time for a new car. New as in used, single owner, low miles, no accidents kind of car. My research went on for months, I wanted performance and reliability at an affordable price for me. I was ready to pull the trigger on a 06 911 Turbo S for sale in GA. I purchased a one way airfare with plans of driving the car back to FL. The deal was 99% done and three days before I was to leave a friend asked me if I had did any research on the ISF. I thought...that's a very rare car, don't see them much, not as common as the German products and the fact that it's a Toyota there is a good reliability factor to consider.

I now had two days left before my flight to ATL, so I binged searched for F's within 1000 miles. I found two that met my prerequisites, one in Miami and the other in GA...go figure! The night before my flight I went to test drive the F in Miami... This car was sick! I was in shock! I had no idea the ISF was such a beast. I test drove a few 911 turbos and it's faster but I was very impressed with the performance of this four door sedan. I put a deposit down to hold it til the next day. I couldn't sleep all night and was flying to ATL in 12 hrs!

Finally, around 4:00 am I had a moment of clarity. I did an apple to passion fruit comparison. The 911 Turbo S is a monster and IMO Porsche ranks best in reliability from German car manufacturers. I had planned to buy a cheap 4 door DD to make up for the lack of passenger room when needed. The ISF is a beast with 4 doors, some luxury features, excellent reliability and low maintenance cost in comparison to the 911.

That afternoon I drove to Miami, not the airport. The best decision I made in years! I lost $100 on the airfare but with the money saved, I can go full bolt on with the F (I/H/E), buy a really cheap DD and still have money saved for future mods. Happy, happy, joy, joy!
Old 07-21-14, 01:01 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

My wife always wanted a Lexus.
I told her that there is only one Lexus I would ever consider without me losing my will to live.
The IsF :-)
I ended up finding 2010 ISF with only 6K miles in my local carmax two years ago.
Old 07-21-14, 01:01 PM
mrkim
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
My salesperson is a hottie.
BUT you guys still can't beat this guy... and I have to admit, it is rare to see a hot female sales person at a dealer, and in my suggestion there should be more female sales people at car dealerships.

unless he meant the salesperson was a guy...
Old 07-21-14, 02:20 PM
MYISF
Lead Lap

MYISF story is that I have owned various nice cars (Vette, Supra, 350Z) and sport bikes when I was younger but had to set all that aside to raise two step-kids...actually bought my step son a RSXS when he was 18. I drove nice cars along the way (ES350, FX35, ML350, etc...) but more family cars than performance...THEN the nest was empty (for the most part) and it was time for me to play again...a very good friend of mine is the GM at the local Lexus dealership and I stopped by one day to say hello and we started talking cars...he told me they had a one owner 2009 ISF over on his used car lot (inside the showroom) that was "mint"...so I walked over and looked at it and there was MYISF. As my buddy does with all the cars I buy from him, he let me take it for a few days and I fell in LOVE My wife and I have owned Lexus cars over the years and have always liked the reliabilty and the way we are treated in Service...so with considering everything I decided to see what he wanted...he went bottom line and made the decision very simple...I am soooooooooooooooo glad I stopped by there that day
Old 07-21-14, 02:51 PM
ddcruise
Rookie

had a 03 g35 and needed more power soo in 2008 i purchased a 08 isf because its awesome
Old 07-23-14, 04:44 AM
WillRockwe
Pole Position

'08 IS-F owner I met this weekend is a professional race driver (NASCAR trucks) He says he picked the F because nothing else had the performance and reliability he was looking for. He called it a "solid machine".
Old 07-23-14, 07:45 AM
calteg
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

It was a toss up between the IS-F or a 335 (for half the price). All of my friends with 335s have had the HPFP go out on them multiple times. I wanted ultimate reliability, so I went with the IS-F
Old 07-23-14, 09:08 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I owned a GS, and I had my eye on an "F" that would mysteriously appear on the back roads at times. After I attempting to tweak the GS engine, the master technician at the dealership ushered me into a discussion on the "F" and convinced me it was the way to go.

After reviewing the discussions here, coverage in the magazines and YouTube, I ordered the car without taking a test drive. It was one of the best buying decisions of my life.

I intend to finalized my purchase of the RC F carbon model in a couple of weeks in PA, and I anticipate the same positive outcome.
Old 07-23-14, 10:44 AM
speeddem0n
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive always been a Honda guy, owing an accord, prelude, a few civic si's... tearing apart and building and turbo'ed - ironically made 416whp on the dyno! I had an 05 and 07 c230 as well. Now for the past year or 2 ive been dying to get a new car (another benz or maybe a 335i bmw because i wanted the beauty of turbo again. Ive been driving a 2008 civic si sedan for the past 3 years which has been a great daily.. just sold it last week. 2 of my cousins who had BMWs had annoying issues with their cars including ignition, timing, vanos service, sensors, etc... so in helping them fix them i got turned off with the idea of getting a bemer and in the back of my head even though i liked German cars I knew i should probably stay away from them but didnt have anything else in mind. Little did I know i was overlooking a Japanese alternative to something I was already comfortable with.

So 3 months ago a friend asked me to give her a ride to carmax to buy a car (Fiat500) cause she has bad credit and just needs a car. In the showroom was a pearl white 2012 ISF with only 16K miles... price was $49K. I NEVER understood the hype of the ISF and NEVER considered it! So i opened the door and sat in the driver seat and it blew me away instantly without even starting it. I told the sales lady straight up that im not going to buy this car but I want a test drive since youre already getting a sale out of us. She said ok come back later during the week. A week later the car was still stuck in my head! I started looking online and found a 2008 ISF pearl white black interior from an individual seller. Test drove it and felt i could live with this older one considering the lower price that i could possibly afford. After a 2nd attempt back to carmax (first time it was on hold supposedly sold but didnt sell), i finally got to test drive the 2012 and flew through gears paddle shifting on the feeder and freeway while the salesman was getting all excited in the back seat literally cheering me on lol. Then i knew for sure i was not going to buy the 2012 (due to financial choices and obligations) but would definitely go for the 2008 and made it mine! Now if only I could find a woman to constantly keep a smile on my face like this car does.

P.S.: Make no mistake, im still a honda guy and am now looking for an accord as a daily so i dont have to daily and rack up unnecessary miles on the ISF

Last edited by speeddem0n; 07-23-14 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-23-14, 01:48 PM
jackhui
Rookie

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
My salesperson is a hottie.
lol jokes. i would too though
Old 07-23-14, 03:19 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Had a nicely tuned G35 sedan. I wanted more reliability, luxury, room , and refinement and was interested in the VIP scene so I came to Lexus in 2007. I bought a new GS350 in 07 and slammed it on coil overs , added exhaust and wheels. When the kids came I need more trunk space so I bought an LS460 slapped some 22s on it and had a big daddy Lexus ( literally and figuratively ) . After 3 years on just cruising in total comfort and numbness I got tired of the handling. The body roll and floatiness was making the car less fun in the corners than my wife's Sienna. After realizing that the Sienna was our primary family car and that my beautiful LS was never driven other than to and from work I decided to down size. I didn't need the HUGE sedan and I wanted more fun and more pull so I went with the ISF. I never thought about leaving Lexus even for a second. I dig the brand, I love the cars, and I love the direction the brand is going.

Last edited by I8ABMR; 07-23-14 at 03:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Why you picked an F