IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Don't understand enthusiast reactions to the ISF

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-14, 11:38 AM
MYISF
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Don't understand enthusiast reactions to the ISF

Please help me understand...I go to Cars & Coffee events, car shows and local events and I know that MYISF is faster than over 1/2 the cars there and with all the mods I have done I know it looks very clean (not being cocky just trying to make a point) so why does it not get much "LOVE"???

Like I went to a C&C a couple of weeks ago and like only three people came over to check it out and did not stay very long except for a guy who owns a brand new Z28 (#11 to be exact) and he asked me things like "Tell me about this car as I don't know anything about it" and he loved my paint job and wheels but other than that it was like NOTHING! And it isn't like I don't go around and check out all the cars...heck I went over and talked to the Z28 guy for awhile about his new car???

The following are my best reasons why it does not get a lot of LOVE:

1) Don't know what it is or just think it is an IS with wheels (which is kind of lame also as I would check out a nice IS anytime)

2) Know it is a bad *** car and don't want to give it love becuase they are embarassed that a four door can smoke there car?

3) Japanese Car? But they give love to every Supra that pulls in???

4) Don't see Lexus as a performance car?

Other than that I am seriously confused... What do you all think???
Old 07-17-14, 11:42 AM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm sure its part people just think its a regular isx50. A lot of the people I talk to about this car have no clue what it is or that Lexus would make something like it.
Old 07-17-14, 11:44 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like you're too proud of your car lol.
Old 07-17-14, 11:45 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

even here in cali/LA area, there still are a lot of people that simply do not know anything about our cars. like many have chimed before, a lot of people just think it's another regular IS w/ some aesthetic mods. frankly, i couldn't care less bc when i take off, they suddenly look over like 'what the hell?' i also get randos trying to race or mess w/ me when it's clear as to who the winner would be. recently had a brand new 535 driver get embarrassed/mad bc he couldn't over take me. anyway, drive it, mod it, enjoy it for yourself.
Old 07-17-14, 11:57 AM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MYISF
Please help me understand...I go to Cars & Coffee events, car shows and local events and I know that MYISF is faster than over 1/2 the cars there and with all the mods I have done I know it looks very clean (not being cocky just trying to make a point) so why does it not get much "LOVE"???

Like I went to a C&C a couple of weeks ago and like only three people came over to check it out and did not stay very long except for a guy who owns a brand new Z28 (#11 to be exact) and he asked me things like "Tell me about this car as I don't know anything about it" and he loved my paint job and wheels but other than that it was like NOTHING! And it isn't like I don't go around and check out all the cars...heck I went over and talked to the Z28 guy for awhile about his new car???

The following are my best reasons why it does not get a lot of LOVE:

1) Don't know what it is or just think it is an IS with wheels (which is kind of lame also as I would check out a nice IS anytime)

2) Know it is a bad *** car and don't want to give it love becuase they are embarassed that a four door can smoke there car?

3) Japanese Car? But they give love to every Supra that pulls in???

4) Don't see Lexus as a performance car?

Other than that I am seriously confused... What do you all think???

I have had a for the most part very good reactions to the car. I agree, most people don't know what it is,and you'll hear... "some sort of a IS 250 with a body kit??" "Where did you get that V8 from?" "That car sucks because it has fake exhaust tips...." "My M3 can dust this thing"

The majority of the car shows I attend, people are very interested and respectful of the car. Those that aren't initially, are once they hear it drive by

It doesn't get nearly the draw of the NSX, but I was very surprised at how many people give props to it. It is pretty rare to see one here in WI, only a couple that I know of. I hope others are having the same experience that I have.
Old 07-17-14, 12:08 PM
LionelHutz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Combo of Lexus's brand reputation and the fact that our class of car isn't really that special. I usually don't see folks drooling over M3s, RS4s, or C63s at car meets either unless they have really zany mods.
Old 07-17-14, 12:18 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. It's a 4dr sedan
2. It's a Lexus
3. It looks like the thousands of IS250's strolling around town
Old 07-17-14, 12:28 PM
MYISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lmood
I'm sure its part people just think its a regular isx50. A lot of the people I talk to about this car have no clue what it is or that Lexus would make something like it.
Yeah I think this is it part of the time...but a nice car is a nice car (well in my book) and even if it was just an IS 250 wtih mods I would go check it out...Right?

Originally Posted by ISFpat
Sounds like you're too proud of your car lol.
I am proud of MYISF and the work I have put into it...and it is not like I am trying to audition for the Fast & Furious LOL Congratulations BTW

I am just thinking if I went to a C&C and saw MYISF I would definetly check it out...just like the M3 I checked out for about 10 minutes at the same Meet...and it wasn't any nicer than MYISF...but it was clean and done well!

Originally Posted by cremaster
even here in cali/LA area, there still are a lot of people that simply do not know anything about our cars. like many have chimed before, a lot of people just think it's another regular IS w/ some aesthetic mods. frankly, i couldn't care less bc when i take off, they suddenly look over like 'what the hell?' i also get randos trying to race or mess w/ me when it's clear as to who the winner would be. recently had a brand new 535 driver get embarrassed/mad bc he couldn't over take me. anyway, drive it, mod it, enjoy it for yourself.
I hear u man and Nice Kill...I killed one of those the 1st week I owned MYISF...the driver was not happy...oh well
Old 07-17-14, 12:36 PM
MYISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by F1nALMSfan
I have had a for the most part very good reactions to the car. I agree, most people don't know what it is,and you'll hear... "some sort of a IS 250 with a body kit??" "Where did you get that V8 from?" "That car sucks because it has fake exhaust tips...." "My M3 can dust this thing"

The majority of the car shows I attend, people are very interested and respectful of the car. Those that aren't initially, are once they hear it drive by

It doesn't get nearly the draw of the NSX, but I was very surprised at how many people give props to it. It is pretty rare to see one here in WI, only a couple that I know of. I hope others are having the same experience that I have.
This is good to hear...that is what i was curious about that maybe others were experiencing something different...thanks for sharing

Originally Posted by LionelHutz
Combo of Lexus's brand reputation and the fact that our class of car isn't really that special. I usually don't see folks drooling over M3s, RS4s, or C63s at car meets either unless they have really zany mods.
Hmmm...not that special? Do you mean Lexus or the ISF? I think the ISF is special and somehwat rare...IMHO...and good point on the other brands but I would check them out if I saw them at an event as I know they are fast and nice cars

Originally Posted by 2ndGF
1. It's a 4dr sedan
2. It's a Lexus
LOL...I think there is a lot of truth to this...maybe that's it...because on more than one occasion when MYISF did get attention they had no idea what the car was and were very surpirsed to find out about the performance...heck the guy in the Z28 said he came over becuase he heard me when I pulled in and it got his interest...
Old 07-17-14, 12:39 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

That's the price you pay for having a such a rare car.
Old 07-17-14, 12:51 PM
Cronic
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because there's not much to look at. It's got some bolt ons but it's not overly interesting.

In those situations people flock to exotics or things with interesting builds/highly modified cars.

It's funny I went to a dyno day and my brother was with me. There was probably 50+ people there. When we left he said "it's weird, that's the first time I've been anywhere with you and people didn't mob your car" because 98%of everything I've owned are fully built cars. No one really even gave the F a sec look, and quite honestly I wouldn't either. This thing is just a normal car with some superficial mods.

Last edited by Cronic; 07-17-14 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-17-14, 12:59 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are Lexus owners that don't even know what an IS-F is. I met my buddy for dinner that I haven't seen in years the other night. We started talking about cars and he said he just picked up a 2012 IS350, I told him I'm a fellow Lexus driver and what I drove. He had no idea what I was talking about, he said he never knew they made a V8 IS car. Took him for a ride and he couldn't believe the sound of the Joe Z/PPE header combo and he was pissed that his Lexus dealer never told him about the F when he bought his 350.
Old 07-17-14, 01:05 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndGF
1. It's a 4dr sedan
2. It's a Lexus
^^This is most likely why you don't get any love. Plus the IS-F has a very small aftermarket support market so a lot of people don't even know what is under the hood, they dont want to see basic boltons Intake headers exhaust, not to mention you rarely see any high HP IS-F builds let alone any IS-F builds as it is (outside the immediate lexus community)

The last show I went to, a mid 90's 800hp TT SC got best Lexus over 2 pretty nice IS-F's that were there

The car is going to get overlooked all around unless someone does something notable. (thats not in an IS x50 of course)
Old 07-17-14, 01:11 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most people don't care about the IS (F or not), or just don't care about Lexus/Toyota at all. Can't blame them, Toyota has been making eco-boxes for the past 10 years, so their reputation in the performance sector is close to non-existent.

The IS never really excelled much vs. its competitors in terms of performance. Stock for stock, the C63 kills the ISF in a straight, and the M3 kills it on the track. Similarly, 335i gets a lot more attention than the IS350, mainly due to its badge and the turbos. Even a simple 323i/320i/328i gets more love than an IS250.

Not to mention, all the fan boys that love their A4's or G37's.... many people were super surprised that the IS350 can run 0-60 in 4.5-4.7s, as they are too ignorant to accept these facts because "how can a Toyota be faster than a Bimmer?"

End of the day....nobody cares much for Japanese cars (the ones that do only care about the VQ, Evo, STi, etc.), nobody cares much for Toyota (Lexus or not, F or not), and many, MANY "ignorant car enthusiasts" thinks a car with a turbo is better than any car without (some teenager with a Hyundai Veloster said to his friend about my car, "but it doesn't even have a turbo" *facepalm*)

Also, Toyota really didn't market the ISF as much as they've done with the 3IS or doing with the RC F...

Last edited by reyoasian; 07-17-14 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-17-14, 01:16 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Lexus did a **** poor job of promoting the ISF and when they introduced it, and as usual it couldn't beat the German rivals ( mainly the M3 ) so it never got as much attention . The other thing is that the ISF doesn't have as much presence as other cars in its performance league . I felt the same way at Cars and Coffee here in AZ. In fact my LS460 on 22s turned more heads than my ISF . In defense of the car, nobody gave a crap about the 3 M3s and 1 RS4 at the last C&C event here either. Botton line is people want to go see special cars. Our cars are 65K loaded and brand new. They go to see the 350K McLaren 650S, Aventadors, 458 Speciale, etc. Its not that the ISF isnt special enough, but either are the Boss 302 stangs, z06 vetts, ZL1 Camaros, etc. People really want to see the higher end stuff. We attend as filler and as enthusiasts who one day might be parked right there with our hardcore sports cars.

Im sure the guys in the million GTRs who show up feel the same. They roll up and people know they are faster than Ferraris but the pics still always get take of the Ferraris. I am probably one of the biggest GTR fans on this entire forum and I dont take pics of the GTRs unless they have a cool plate or Alpha AMS badge on it.

I love my ISF because it makes me smile when I drive it more then my LS460, BUT I do miss that extra attention that I had while rolling in my stunning LS460 on 22s. I think next time, to have it all, I will buy a Panamera . Big beautiful car and faster than most sports cars

What I did notice was when I took my ISF to the Scottsdale Pavilions show that was filled with white haired enthusiasts in their classics and tweens (16-24) in their Civics, mustangs, and EVOs, the ISF got WAY more attention. The issue was like the people at C&C didnt care about my car, I also had no interest in these lower end tuner cars. I left in less then 30 min.

Last edited by I8ABMR; 07-17-14 at 05:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Don't understand enthusiast reactions to the ISF