IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Don't understand enthusiast reactions to the ISF

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-14, 01:32 PM
Boma
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's probably the Ultrasonic Blue paint or the Joe Z exhaust note, but my F never fails to turn a lot of heads even in the most unlikely of places. Quite recently I pulled into a quiet coffee shop located under an apartment complex. I was minding my own business when a guy flew down the stairs from his apartment just to catch up to me and talk about the ISF. I also get a lot of compliments when I go to the drive thru.

Then again, I like how the ISF is the perfect combination of having a presence and being low-profile at the same time. It's nice to get the attention but sometimes it's good to have a little time to yourself.

Last edited by Boma; 07-17-14 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-17-14, 02:29 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

this is a funny thread.
OP, I lack your initial mindset.
But I can tell you that I receive too much love for the car, lol.
I recently won a trophy at the one of the biggest BMW events in the states, MPACT East, for "top open class" meaning best "non-bmw".
There were ferraris, supras, porsches, etc.

Go figure.
They did hear the exhaust note though
Old 07-17-14, 03:36 PM
fstpassat
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

My car gets far more attention for the USB color and exhaust note than anything else. Personally, I could care less if anyone even gave it a glance. I can always switch to the other ride if I want attention.
Old 07-17-14, 04:24 PM
wmjeffreyw
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I cannot count how many thumbs up I get when I am driving my USB F and both times I went to cars and coffee people definitely showed an interest in the car. I have to admit though, best is when I put the hammer down and the PPE/Borla combo Sings. It really catches people off guard. I really could care less what others think of my F, I bought one because I had a blast driving it at Laguna Seca, for me, is practical yet sporty, I love the lines, I am impressed with the engineering that went into designing the car and last but not least it is a reliable Toyota product.
Old 07-17-14, 04:44 PM
WillRockwe
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is one of the reasons I don't mod my F, just so I can say "This is the way they come from the factory".
A lot of people don't know what it is, but enthusiasts are surprised to see it, and I've had high fives from people I wouldn't expect to notice. As for the Beemer boys who try to impress me on the highway, I only see them in my rearview mirror.
Old 07-17-14, 04:51 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm mine seems to get a lot of attention locally and when I take it to Cali. I get asked questions at stop lights, car meets and shows ect. I didn't buy it to get attention but it's nice that people seem to appreciate it.
Old 07-17-14, 06:08 PM
kdm
Pole Position

I can say that most F owners in this forum didn't really get the car for the attention but rather for the love of the F heritage and the pride that comes with owning the "car that started it all." I actually appreciate the fact that the ISF doesn't scream "look-at-me!" and garners attention only from those who are either curious and interested or know what the ISF is all about. Although, I must say, it's good to catch people once in a while taking photos of the car... but that's not why I bought this car in the first place!
Old 07-17-14, 06:23 PM
RSWill
Rookie

lol, this is kinda cool. Don't feel bad or confused about this issue. My daily is a supercharged Audi RS5. 1 of 2 in North American in fact but to the untrained eye, folks think it's an Audi A5
Old 07-17-14, 07:27 PM
mrkim
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haters are gonna hate, it's the same thing when you start tuning your car, people wants proof, dyno, etc...

They want what you got and try to get it by making you mad.

Car people are weird people in general... haters are gonna hate, but there are a few who are open minded...
Old 07-17-14, 07:44 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are 2 paths to take if u want to get attention at a C&C event. A.) Drop around $400k on an F12 or Mclaren 650s cause 458 and regular Mclaren are now a dime a dozen there or B.) Drop $8020 on a 95 Vette with straight pipes($8k) and pick up a pair of dad jeans and a tight fitting Vette t-shirt($20 combined). Grow a mustache and make sure u rev the hell out of the engine when ur leaving and do a nice burnout upon exiting and everyone will notice. I have only been to 1 C&C but I saw at least 5 of these type of Vette guys there.
Old 07-17-14, 07:51 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I think the main reason is because people don't know what the F is and what it represents. As a result, there's a lot of misinformation about the car that makes it unappealing. Even in this thread there's misinformation about the car already, so what can we expect from other people if even F owners are misinformed.
Old 07-17-14, 10:17 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I kind of like that it doesn't get the hype it should deserve. Being a naturally aspirated V8, an antithesis to the typical Lexus product it richly produced in its first two decades in the market, and the unknown of this new F heritage all contribute to its mystery. It does share the same body style as the ISx50, which is fine and dandy, but nothing else is shared. People who assume that it's just a gussied up 2IS are quickly in for a rude awakening when that secondary intake unleashes at around 3k RPM. It has gone through improvements year after year to make it one of the class leaders. I agree that it was not marketed well, nowhere near as heavily as the ISx50 F sports, LFA, or new 3IS, but it still draws intrigue. What I still appreciate about this vehicle most is its forging of Lexus' performance heritage. The LFA and RC F may have more power and a greater product awareness, but they would be for not if the IS F didn't enter the market first.

But going back to the OP, Cars and Coffee typically cater to exotics and 2 doors and some vintage models. I believe it even has a sign stating that 4 doors need to park elsewhere, even though this particular 4 door can still mess around with some of the exotics that frequent these C&Cs. It's just a matter of appreciating what we have and what we know the car is capable of. Even the M and AMG had to start somewhere, and it took them the better part of the 20th century to get them where those motorsport divisions are currently. Give the Lexus F marquee time- it will be a well known division over time.
Old 07-17-14, 10:44 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Hey what does MY stands for?
MY2012
MYISF
MY2012 headlights
Etc.. sorry im noob
Old 07-17-14, 10:47 PM
RSWill
Rookie

Originally Posted by metaleckz
Hey what does MY stands for?
MY2012
MYISF
MY2012 headlights
Etc.. sorry im noob
Model Year
Old 07-17-14, 10:53 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

It's probably because you are fishing for compliments. If you don't think i'm right then I encourage you to read what you initially wrote. Cars and Coffee is the last place you should be looking for compliments going with a IS. ISF or not...if it's not a LFA then it WILL NOT be noticed at cars and coffee. Cars and Coffee is a place to see rare and exotic. From their website...

"Cars and Coffee San Francisco welcomes car enthusiasts and rare and unique cars, and we encourage preregistration to ensure the best spaces. Our guidelines are Exotic cars, Vintage European/Italian sports cars and pre-1972’s American classic and muscle cars. However, if you have something that you think is rare and unique please register with the form below and we’ll get back to you. In order to maintain the integrity and spirit of the event, Cars and Coffee San Francisco reserves the right to refuse exhibitor status to cars that we feel don’t meet the event’s criteria."

Don't get offended but it's when you're not looking for compliments is when you'll get them. You'll probably be at a loss of words when that happens. Be humble...

Quick Reply: Don't understand enthusiast reactions to the ISF