IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Modded car problems?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-14, 08:38 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts
Default Modded car problems?

I know many of the forum members mod their car by going all out, all performance, all cosmetics, or even just upgrading the OEM tire size. So my question is, how many of you guys run into problems when modding your car? For me was the PPE headers & the cel light & everytime i get new wheels/tires, i end up getting a flat or the tire blows..

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 07-10-14, 09:12 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

With my Full Bolt Ons, (intake, headers, exhaust) and wider than stock tires, I have had no issues. I did have a blowout earlier in the year, but it was from road debris, not the Bridgestone S-04s. I have never had a cell, wouldn't even know what one looked like.

Lou
Old 07-10-14, 11:06 AM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol I think Josh meant that he is getting way more problem once he start modding the car. He didn't mean that the full bolts on caused blowout on the tires. Damn it Josh, run-on sentences are confusing
Old 07-10-14, 12:05 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I didn't run into problems, per se. It was more doing the research and homework ahead of time so that I knew what needed to be done or bought for it all to work. Things such as calculating offsets for wheels, debating whether to get a secondary set of TPMS to program for those wheels, getting heat sleeves for the headers' sensor harness extenders, and even something as simple as which Joe Z intake color to get for fear of what would happen if a cop asked me to pop my hood ( I still went anodized blue for some color in the engine bay)- they're all things that most fail to recognize when they're thinking of getting wheels, upsized tires, headers, and so forth. It's added expenses, yes, but it saves from having to restart the entire proess, which could mean uninstallation, sending it back to the manufacturer, going back to the drawing board, etc. It's the little things that make it all come together, but i don't see it as problems, just parts that need to come together so that everything works properly in the end.

Best of luck bud! No need to fret. It all should work out in the end. Ain't that right, Khoa?
Old 07-10-14, 12:39 PM
MYISF
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problems so far due to "Mods"...but to be fair I have not put many miles on it since my major "mods" due to waiting 90 days for the clear coat to cure...as of August 9th (4 step polishing process and finally getting some wax on the car) I will start to drive it a lot more...however, to "bnizzle87" point, I hope that my decsions on "mods" will still give me Lexus reliabilty but just look a little bit cooler
Old 07-10-14, 02:45 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

The reason I have tried to remain pretty stock in my ISF was because of all of the issues I had created with my previous tuned cars. My G35 and GS350 were both in magazines. The G35 was modified with pretty much everything that could be done for performance short of forced induction ( list is LONG). It was always going through tires. I was always back at the tire shop for rebalances and flipping tires. The exhaust and intake work was so loud I could barely think if I wasn't driving hard ( most of the time). The suspension bushings would squeak. The ECU work created issues with my injectors.

In my GS the car was slammed on Tein coilovers so it created dash rattles, sun roof rattles, and the worn tires every 9 months.

My LS had aftermarket wheel defects and tire defects that had me vibrating in my LS for 19 months. As I get older I tune less and just buy better cars. In the end the money I spend and the time I spend would cost me more than simply buying a car the way I want it from the get go. I think of all the nights doing research, the time stressing over issues, the time driving to and from shops, and the money involved could have purchased me multiple other cars. I have a business, a home, kids, and a Roth IRA that needs more attention and money than my cars.

We live, we learn, we mature.
Old 07-10-14, 02:52 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have PPE and CEL problems too Josh, i think our installer doesn't know how install o2 conditioners lol.
Old 07-10-14, 03:20 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

after getting some info from the guys at PPE it sounds like the issue is install work .
Old 07-10-14, 03:24 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Fellow member Myisf and I had our header work done at Lexus dealership and so far no problems. He has Sikky and I have PPE, he has had his much longer than me. I have put about 300 miles driving everywhere since I had mine done and I'm driving it as hard as possible to see if there are any rattles or worse, codes that come up. So far it's perfect, loud as hell with no cats but I love it. I'm glad my Lexus dealer does all mod work cause they def know what they are doing.
Old 07-10-14, 03:27 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpat
I have PPE and CEL problems too Josh, i think our installer doesn't know how install o2 conditioners lol.
yeah i feel you patt, wonder if vip johnny had any issues.

But to the other members, I feel like my car is pretty much fully modded and I blame the problems I had with my car in me being in such a rush to install the parts. Usually the day the parts arrive, I install them haha. Also being cheap... ebay tpms sensors are NO BUENO. (also fake replica wheels)

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 07-10-14, 03:53 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

No problems here
Old 07-10-14, 04:01 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ISFpat
As far as I know, Johnny haven't had any issue. Installing the module is just a simple tapping the wires. It's not rocket science. The problem maybe in the PPE module itself. So many people having codes with theirs. I have Sikky module and it's working flawless. Now if only my Sikky fits as great as the PPE. I guess I can't have both
Old 07-10-14, 04:02 PM
MYISF
Lead Lap

Good to hear Mrd916...and his car does sound awesome!!!! I just think if u r going to do mods then u might as well not take short cuts and pay to have them done correctly...just my 2 cents

Originally Posted by Mrd916
Fellow member Myisf and I had our header work done at Lexus dealership and so far no problems. He has Sikky and I have PPE, he has had his much longer than me. I have put about 300 miles driving everywhere since I had mine done and I'm driving it as hard as possible to see if there are any rattles or worse, codes that come up. So far it's perfect, loud as hell with no cats but I love it. I'm glad my Lexus dealer does all mod work cause they def know what they are doing.
Old 07-10-14, 04:06 PM
MYISF
Lead Lap

Oh man I hear u on that...I was stressed out making every decision but only because I was trying to do a build that would work without issues...so far I think I have made very good decisions but I don't think I am done yet...

PS And all my decisions where made without impacting my 401K.

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I think of all the nights doing research, the time stressing over issues, the time driving to and from shops
Old 07-10-14, 04:21 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MK4Sup_isF
As far as I know, Johnny haven't had any issue. Installing the module is just a simple tapping the wires. It's not rocket science. The problem maybe in the PPE module itself. So many people having codes with theirs. I have Sikky module and it's working flawless. Now if only my Sikky fits as great as the PPE. I guess I can't have both
You can actually end up tapping the wrong wires lol. PPE never had an issue installing them and yet me and josh both had problems lol.. 2/3. anyways hopefully can fix it next time I come back there

Quick Reply: Modded car problems?