IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Snow tires/wheels or 2nd beater car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-14, 07:58 AM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Snow tires/wheels or 2nd beater car?

In week 3 of IS F ownership - after driving through heavy rains last night it's obvious this thing is going to be all but useless with summer tires during Ohio winters.

So the dilemma is this: Pick up a 2nd car or a 2nd set of wheels/winter tires?

2nd car Pros:
Keep miles off the IS F
Keep snow/salt away from IS F
Probably better gas mileage
No 2nd spare set of wheels in the garage
Possibly cheap enough car to only have liability on it
More room and/or more comfortable for daily driving (possible)

2nd car cons:
Maintenance and upkeep of 3rd vehicle
Taxes, title, additional insurance cost
Hassle of moving cars around in the driveway (we have a 2 car garage)
Might hate driving the 2nd car if it's a cheapo (i.e. probably not going to have creature comforts like SATNAV, GPS, leather, etc)

Ohio is a strange state. It snowed well into April this year, but last year we barely had any snow. We had a couple 70 degree days before the last snow, so it'd certainly be convenient not having to swap out tires, and the idea of keeping the IS F garaged appeals to me.

In the last couple of days I've looked at quite a few beater vehicles, all high mileage 10 or so year old Honda Accords, Pilots, Acura MDX's and Nissan Exterras. The smart thing to do would be getting a Camry, but I've had one before and just couldn't stand driving it.

Another option would be a well maintained high miled Acura TL with some goodies on it and spend a bit more money (5-10k).

Thoughts?
Old 07-08-14, 08:23 AM
torxuvin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe an old 4wd work truck? I see work trucks for really cheap around here. (granted most are 2wd) It's nice having a vehicle you don't care much about but can haul anything under the sun.
Old 07-08-14, 08:24 AM
Cronic
Pole Position

I personally love having a beater because I'm super **** with my nicer cars and it really minimizes the wear and tear. I use it for running errands, senseless miles, rain etc. I just picked up a 96 civic sedan from an older lady at my wife's hospital and end up driving it all the time because even though the isf is my dd I rather not take it to the grocery store, etc. It's nice not to have to worry about scraping the front on entry's, speed bumps, parking far away, etc.

In your area I'd personally be looking at Forresters, older imprezas, etc. They're reliable, cheap to maintain, and great in bad weather.
Old 07-08-14, 08:33 AM
Boma
Lead Lap

I have my ISF and a 1999 Nissan Altima GLE. Personally I feel having a beater car is a good benefit for a number of reasons, including those that you mentioned. It's a good feeling knowing my car is stowed safely out of the elements especially during this past snowmageddon. Although I do sympathize with some of the cons you listed as well.. the Altima is far from exciting to drive.

It all comes down to a couple factors including finances and if you're concerned with resale value of the ISF. If you don't mind putting the F through winter duty I say go with the winter tires.
Old 07-08-14, 08:36 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Go buy a decent 2wd Toyota Tacoma(or 1993 or older "truck") with a 5 speed manual. Put some 14" or 15" snow tires on it for cheap, throw about 200lbs in the bed, and you are unstoppable on the flat ground in Ohio. If you live in Cinnci or some other area with hills, then you will need 4wd.

Those 2wd trucks, are about 1/2 to 1/4 of the price of a 4wd Toyota truck. Tricky thing in Ohio is finding one that hasn't rusted away. It would be worth a look at Craigslist in southern states to find one that has zero rust.
Old 07-08-14, 08:56 AM
Bakewalk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am up in Alberta where we get -30 celcius winters for quite a while. I don't even waste my time, I bought a 2007 Nissan Titan for the winters.

If they sand the roads in Ohio, you will regret not buying a beater after 1 winter. You will have so many ugly paint chips.

We also get some pretty nasty hail storms in the spring and summer, you can take the beater and not worry about your beautiful F in a nasty storm!
Old 07-08-14, 10:23 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bakewalk
I am up in Alberta where we get -30 celcius winters for quite a while. I don't even waste my time, I bought a 2007 Nissan Titan for the winters.

If they sand the roads in Ohio, you will regret not buying a beater after 1 winter. You will have so many ugly paint chips.

We also get some pretty nasty hail storms in the spring and summer, you can take the beater and not worry about your beautiful F in a nasty storm!
I also live in Alberta and I daily my F in the winter.

Wrap the front end with 3M and you are golden; its an extremely stable and fun winter whip.

My 2013 is quite a bit better in the winter than my 2009.
Old 07-08-14, 10:30 AM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Did 2 winters in the IS F..then switched to this.

Its not how good or bad the F drives in the winter, its how others around me drive, that was the concern.

Digger08
Old 07-08-14, 07:48 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

Go for the 2nd car for sure. I'm glad I have my 01 BMW 330xi 4WD for the winter.
Old 07-08-14, 11:23 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Yeah drive something that is reliable but you don't give two ****s about its appearance for snow driving . . .

Any time it snows I throw 3 sand bags in the bed, and dare people to run into me.

Come on, make my ****ing day. I have every type of insurance except collision on this POS. I am A VERY SLOW *** NINJA when I drive this pos in the snow. My tires are new, and all season. I have faith/confidence/skill that I will not be involved in an at fault accident driving this pos in the snow. Just slide into me, it will dent the truck, I get a quote, I get paid $750 to fix said "dent" and "twisted rear bumper" on my truck. I pocket the cash, nobody notices the minor body damage.

Last edited by Aron9000; 07-08-14 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-09-14, 07:13 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^^^LOL

I drive my Denali or F250 plow truck in the winter and when I am doing something/ going somewhere that I would rather not use the ISF for in the summer.

Some guy's like to drive the ISF as much as they can and that's fine. I like to preserve my investment and keep the fun for those deticated days. Having a truck that can get beat up is nice. Especially if you have a dog, a house that you do the upkeep on, a mountain bike, etc.
Old 07-09-14, 08:38 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Yeah drive something that is reliable but you don't give two ****s about its appearance for snow driving . . .

Any time it snows I throw 3 sand bags in the bed, and dare people to run into me.

Come on, make my ****ing day. I have every type of insurance except collision on this POS. I am A VERY SLOW *** NINJA when I drive this pos in the snow. My tires are new, and all season. I have faith/confidence/skill that I will not be involved in an at fault accident driving this pos in the snow. Just slide into me, it will dent the truck, I get a quote, I get paid $750 to fix said "dent" and "twisted rear bumper" on my truck. I pocket the cash, nobody notices the minor body damage.
LMAO, I have a 16-yr old Integra that has fading paint and minimal rust... but is reliable and great in snow with all-season tires. Not gonna lie, the Honda paint sucks... my car is like 5 different shades of red...but no F's given, it's my daily. I would get a DD. It just gives me peace of mind. My F will sit in the garage in the winter.
Old 07-09-14, 10:35 AM
Kojak77
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ISF for the summer...

Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins for the Winter.