IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

NISSAN GT-R vs LEXUS IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-14, 11:25 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Cronic
You are comparing econo box's(other than the GTR) to Lexus, of course they lack refinement. lol The GTR isn't meant to be refined. And to some degree over-refinement is what is killing modern day sports cars(and supercars).

But many people on here don't know that as they have never owned anything fast, nor a real sports car.
It's quite possible that due to the fact that such a small percentage of owners of today's sports cars actually take their car to the track for regular duty, the manufacturers have decided to add more refinement so they can still sell cars. Most people are not taking their brand new $75K (or $100K or $300K) sports car to run around a track because that's a lot of car to replace. Most people are taking their sports car out for spirited drives around town, car shows, meet ups, and even to work or on trips. Those are all times when you'd rather have A/C, power windows, a little sound deadening and maybe even *gasp* an automatic transmission.

Put simply, I'm not dropping big bucks on a car unless it could double as a reliable daily driver, even if I choose not to daily drive it... or unless I'm a millionaire many times over and simply don't care.
Old 07-07-14, 01:13 PM
yishin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hmm

First respect n props to the black isf
In reality who runs nos on their f ? Not many why cos u still taking a risk
Not everyone mod their isf even i/h/e set up
I have a two guy that roll as team time to time owns gtr
One is stock other one is top speed modded gtr hits 750 whp easy so i dont mess with at all but oem i do time to time
My set up is very same as blk isf but i use 100 shot or lil over nos not 175
I love isf so much and it is what i can offer at best
But true is isf is not a fast car but a some where fun car that suit my needs 4 door and back seat space n v8 sound and power
Race with oem gtr and 2010ish oem m5 my car can take it on 40 50 60 roll but gtr if u know how to drive this thing u dont have to talk about after 120 mph it will take -_- cos since when do u race a fella on local highway over 120 ? Maybe 132 is pushing the risk n getting pulled over
Isf is too heavy
Old 07-07-14, 03:46 PM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

haha sweet videos!
Old 07-09-14, 12:52 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

all I can comment on is stock for stock GTR should win pretty easily.

I own a 2011 isf (its for sale) with intake and straight pipe exhaust nothing like the sound of a V8 it is a fun sporty car and with the added rear sikky sway bar does decent in the canyons.

I just purchased a 2015 gtr and I just have to say it is scary fast it is a totally different feeling than that of the F. Feels more like a real race car but still comfy on longer drives. I already did down pipes, mid pipe, HKS axle back exhaust, 1000cc injectors, 3" cold air intakes and a Ecutek Tune and it is putting down almost 600 to the wheels. Made this car even crazier to drive. It handles so well in the canyons but I think with any more power than this I would be scared to drive it in the canyons. Eventually many GTR's end up becoming straight line cars because they make too much power.

I can appreciate both cars but to me the GTR is just at a totally different level
Old 07-09-14, 12:59 PM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

Just sold my GT-R today. Completely different beast lol.

M3/ISF/C63/M5 shopping now (again lol).
Old 07-09-14, 01:09 PM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
......I'm not dropping big bucks on a car unless it could double as a reliable daily driver, even if I choose not to daily drive it... or unless I'm a millionaire many times over and simply don't care.
totally agree with this sentiment. i'd love a weekend car, but it would have to be more than tolerable and comfortable enough to drive slow, far, or often in.
Old 07-09-14, 02:55 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanGTS

why did you sell?
Old 07-09-14, 03:11 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
It's quite possible that due to the fact that such a small percentage of owners of today's sports cars actually take their car to the track for regular duty, the manufacturers have decided to add more refinement so they can still sell cars. Most people are not taking their brand new $75K (or $100K or $300K) sports car to run around a track because that's a lot of car to replace. Most people are taking their sports car out for spirited drives around town, car shows, meet ups, and even to work or on trips. Those are all times when you'd rather have A/C, power windows, a little sound deadening and maybe even *gasp* an automatic transmission.

Put simply, I'm not dropping big bucks on a car unless it could double as a reliable daily driver, even if I choose not to daily drive it... or unless I'm a millionaire many times over and simply don't care.
I'm with you on this sentiment, go test drive the R8 ~ it does everything so well you'd swear you are driving a normal Audi on the road until you drop the hammer. Many times I'm driving the car and I forgot I'm even in the R8. In my buddies Ferrari, you NEVER forget you are in the F-car as it really is a special car.
Old 07-09-14, 03:25 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Jesus Christ, 175 shot nitrous? That is insane...
Old 07-10-14, 07:08 AM
tgui
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SeanGTS

You have car ADD.
Old 07-10-14, 07:32 AM
vbb

I'm one of those people that can't see myself ever getting a GTR even though I know how ridiculously fast those things are right out of the box. I'm impressed with the tech, but it just isn't what I want in a car. I definitely like the creature comforts of Lexus and Porsche (and Audi, BMW and Mercedes)--the refinement--that Nissan seems to be lacking. If some of that stuff means a little bit more weight and therefore less performance, I'm okay with that. 99% of the time I'm driving the car, it'll be in moderate traffic on public roads, so I want it to be good for those things as well as that 1% of the time when I'm on some deserted road or track and can drop the hammer.

If I ever move on from Lexus, I'm probably looking at a Porsche, which have routinely be heralded as sports cars that you can daily drive, and are very reliable to boot (unlike what I've heard and experienced out of BMW and Mercedes).
Old 07-10-14, 07:56 AM
tgui
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vbb
I'm one of those people that can't see myself ever getting a GTR even though I know how ridiculously fast those things are right out of the box. I'm impressed with the tech, but it just isn't what I want in a car. I definitely like the creature comforts of Lexus and Porsche (and Audi, BMW and Mercedes)--the refinement--that Nissan seems to be lacking. If some of that stuff means a little bit more weight and therefore less performance, I'm okay with that. 99% of the time I'm driving the car, it'll be in moderate traffic on public roads, so I want it to be good for those things as well as that 1% of the time when I'm on some deserted road or track and can drop the hammer.

If I ever move on from Lexus, I'm probably looking at a Porsche, which have routinely be heralded as sports cars that you can daily drive, and are very reliable to boot (unlike what I've heard and experienced out of BMW and Mercedes).
I'd go back to a Subaru STi before a GTR. While not nearly as fast the parts are cheap, car is reliable and I wouldn't cry when I got my first door ding.
Old 07-10-14, 09:14 AM
Stuno1
Driver

Originally Posted by vbb

Agree entirely. Think porker 911 carrera s will be my next car alongside a more practical family car.

Stu
Old 07-10-14, 11:38 AM
Cronic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vbb

And that is what separates the avg joe/general public from a true enthusiast. The ability to take pleasure in some of these things that drive you nuts. And that is who Lexus targets. The guy who used to drive a Camry, and now wants a pseudo sports car. Which is fine, that's why we have choices as buyers. No one thing pleases everyone.

I am curious what "creature comforts" the GTR lacks over an ISF?

I will own another 911(gt2 or gt3) myself one day here shortly. They are great cars. If I had unlimited funds I would get a 930 in a heartbeat. I personally love the raw feeling of the old school sports cars. You know, the days where you can get into a car and drive it, without having to push 18 buttons, and switches in order to not be driving around in some sissified version of the car. Before cars were giant, bloated tanks..lol

Last edited by Cronic; 07-10-14 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-10-14, 02:04 PM
vbb

Originally Posted by Cronic
And that is what separates the avg joe/general public from a true enthusiast. The ability to take pleasure in some of these things that drive you nuts. And that is who Lexus targets. The guy who used to drive a Camry, and now wants a pseudo sports car. Which is fine, that's why we have choices as buyers. No one thing pleases everyone.

I am curious what "creature comforts" the GTR lacks over an ISF?

I will own another 911(gt2 or gt3) myself one day here shortly. They are great cars. If I had unlimited funds I would get a 930 in a heartbeat. I personally love the raw feeling of the old school sports cars. You know, the days where you can get into a car and drive it, without having to push 18 buttons, and switches in order to not be driving around in some sissified version of the car. Before cars were giant, bloated tanks..lol
Well Lexus targeted the wrong guy with me then, because I never used to drive a Camry or anything like it. My cars over the last 10 years have been Acura RSX-S, Honda S2000, BMW 335i tuned and occasionally drag raced, S2000 w/aftermarket turbo, then the ISF. Yes, I did have a more vanilla Acura TSX sprinkled in there, but that was when I also had the turbo S2000. So I've never been the boring family sedan kind of guy really.

I'm the kind of guy that got sick of sitting in a bumper to bumper traffic jam in a hot S2000 that I was afraid was going to overheat and having to shift from 1st to 2nd to neutral to 1st in an endless loop. I'm the kind of guy that went from having no kids to having two and needing usable backseats on occasion. I'm the kind of guy that likes being able to drive a couple of my coworkers to lunch and watch them nearly soil themselves when I drop the hammer on this empty stretch of highway near my office. I'm the kind of guy with the kind of profession where occasionally a client might think driving around in something that looks like it is out of the Fast and Furious seems just a tad bit immature (though it looks like we're going to have an ISF in the next one, lol). In short, I want something that I can enjoy everyday and in every way, and not something that is singularly purpose built for track duty or road racing.

Don't get me wrong, if money were no object, I'd definitely have a fully track prepped GT3 for some road course fun, a Ferrari for street driving and the local cars & coffees, and maybe fully loaded LX470 for the family and driving to work (though who actually has to work for a living when they have that kind of money). But for a regular working guy and family man like myself who can only afford one nice car in that $70K range, that one car better be able to do it ALL.

Quick Reply: NISSAN GT-R vs LEXUS IS-F