IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Add another car to the list of cars we shouldn't mess with...

Old 06-28-14, 11:44 AM
daedalus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like the estimates of 50-70hp/tq with just a tune is playing out to be true. Car is going to be a beast with bolt-ons and a tune.

And I gotta admit... they look badass with just wheels:
Old 06-30-14, 07:03 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

It does look good. The #1 thing keeping me away from BMW is the reliability angle. I had a bad experience with my only BMW (a 335i) and just haven't trusted the reliability since. I have always trusted Toyota/Lexus. So if I were looking to get rid of the ISF and get something new, I'd be more inclined to get an an RCF or even a 2013 ISF than a M3/M4. But really, I hope that in a few years Lexus has decided to bring back the ISF with power numbers comparable to what BMW is putting out.

I'm also a bit surprised that here it is almost July and Lexus still has not released "official" power and performance numbers for the RCF, nor has it listed the price for US markets.
Old 06-30-14, 08:03 AM
fstpassat
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

My older brother bought a new M3 and just got back from his Euro delivery. You can expect some good videos of a header/exhaust ISF versus his stock M3 as soon as it's off the boat.
Old 06-30-14, 08:34 AM
vbb

Originally Posted by fstpassat
My older brother bought a new M3 and just got back from his Euro delivery. You can expect some good videos of a header/exhaust ISF versus his stock M3 as soon as it's off the boat.
Please and thank you!
Old 06-30-14, 08:42 AM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1003637
Only 400 miles!! I feel bad for the owner
Old 06-30-14, 09:07 AM
tgui
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MK4Sup_isF
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1003637
Only 400 miles!! I feel bad for the owner
THIS is exactly why I'll never buy a BMW!!!!
Old 06-30-14, 09:24 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by daedalus
Looks like the estimates of 50-70hp/tq with just a tune is playing out to be true. Car is going to be a beast with bolt-ons and a tune.

And I gotta admit... they look badass with just wheels:

When I drop $70,000 to $100,000 for a car, it better be engaging, which the M4 clearly is not. Lagging acceleration above 7,000 rpm (despite the 7,600 rpm redline), fake cabin engine noise, and embarrassing exterior exhaust notes that are reminiscent of a Prius...a beast running the road with slippers on, IMO.

The qualities of the forced-induction engine mean initial pick-up is diminished, a result of the lagging turbos. This should have been supercharged.

A car in this class needs to engage the driver--hold the drivers attention and provide the quintessential experience. I'm telling you guys, there will be problems (again) with these turbos.

We've seen the IS F run 4.2s--stock--under the right conditions. I am expecting the RC F to break the 4 second barrier. Either way, it will take more than a couple of tenths in acceleration for the M4 to steal the RC F's thunder.

Choose wisely for your next ride, or you might end up spending far too much time eating schnitzel at Otto's BMW.
Old 06-30-14, 09:41 AM
Cronic
Pole Position

Enough displacement, and small turbos, lag is a non issue. Tuned 335's make more tq at 3k rpm than a full bolt on isf does pk. lol.
Old 06-30-14, 09:48 AM
vbb

Originally Posted by ISF001

When I drop $70,000 to $100,000 for a car, it better be engaging, which the M4 clearly is not. Lagging acceleration above 7,000 rpm (despite the 7,600 rpm redline), fake cabin engine noise, and embarrassing exterior exhaust notes that are reminiscent of a Prius...a beast running the road with slippers on, IMO.

The qualities of the forced-induction engine mean initial pick-up is diminished, a result of the lagging turbos. This should have been supercharged.

A car in this class needs to engage the driver--hold the drivers attention and provide the quintessential experience. I'm telling you guys, there will be problems (again) with these turbos.

We've seen the IS F run 4.2s--stock--under the right conditions. I am expecting the RC F to break the 4 second barrier. Either way, it will take more than a couple of tenths in acceleration for the M4 to steal the RC F's thunder.

Choose wisely for your next ride, or you might end up spending far too much time eating schnitzel at Otto's BMW.
This wasn't intended as a "why Lexus is better than BMW" thread, though I appreciate the fanboy-ism. As I have said numerous times, I love my ISF, and the numbers from the new M3/M4 aren't going to make me run and switch. But let's not forget that there is precious little market for the $70K luxury sedan/coupe and all cars in this segment are inevitably compared to the M3. Although Lexus corporate has refused to acknowledge the M3 is the benchmark, we all know that it is... or should be... when it comes to performance. To read that the newest offering from BMW is running sub 4 second 0-60 times and is dangerously close to hitting 11s stock was more than I was expecting, which is why I started the post. It makes me excited to think about what the RCF will really be capable of doing (even if it doesn't beat the M4 in a race, it should be around the same ballpark), and even more excited now that rumors are out the ISF will make a comeback in a few years.

Basically I want near the performance of the new M3 with Lexus looks, fit/finish, reliability, gas mileage, resale, etc. etc. etc.
Old 06-30-14, 10:38 AM
tgui
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vbb
Basically I want near the performance of the new M3 with Lexus looks, fit/finish, reliability, gas mileage, resale, etc. etc. etc.
^^ Same.

I'm conflicted though it Lexus decides to drop the V8 entirely. :-/
Old 06-30-14, 11:00 AM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tgui
^^ Same.

I'm conflicted though it Lexus decides to drop the V8 entirely. :-/
This is why I'm praying for a TT V8 GSF. I need a full size sedan in a couple of years. Starting a family dilemma!!
Old 06-30-14, 12:03 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I read the numbers on the new M3 and felt blown away. I cant believe that its that much faster then the ISF. New or not that is one bad *** bimmer. I just wish Lexus would build a car to beat the Germans , not meet the Germans . Always seems to fall short slightly but wins overall for reliability, drivability, etc. I just want it to be FASTER than AND reliable . Set the benchmark Lexus, enough " me too" cars.
Old 06-30-14, 12:19 PM
ULTSISF
Lead Lap

Agree....so this thread literally became ISF vs M3/4 lol. Titled should be changed just saying....
Old 06-30-14, 02:45 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

most of these will turn into the X vs M3 because the M3 is the bench mark.
Old 06-30-14, 11:12 PM
Weav808
Driver School Candidate

If the new M3/M4 is that much better, imagine how it also will spank the previous M3... Just sayin!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Add another car to the list of cars we shouldn't mess with...