IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Another happy FIGS customer - OS Giken LSD

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-14, 07:23 PM
stantaur
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another happy FIGS customer - OS Giken LSD

Huge thanks to Mike at FIGS for setting me up with an OS Giken 1.5-way LSD for my '09 IS-F. The car's always run pretty strong (12.4 at 114 MPH best, on stock RE-050s, with only a 3" mandrel / single Magnaflow axleback and a 20 lb Deka battery). But it was miserable coming out of any turn, lighting up the inside tire. Ugh.

I finally had enough bonus money saved up to do the OSG diff, and am very glad I did.

Zero noise, zero downside, just grip everywhere. No more cringing or nose-crinkling when adding throttle around a turn - just grips and hauls the mail. And if it's wet or on an autocross course, it's a blast to step the tail out just a bit for rotation. SO much more enjoyable than the car I've driven the past few years.

Major thanks to Paul, John and the guys at Marsh Transmission in Tualatin for executing the installation so seamlessly. No gear whine, no pinion adjustment needed, just light clearancing on the housing and a new pair of Lexus bearings (not cheap, ~ $105/ea) and seals. Totally worth it.

Once my savings recovers, it might be time for some suspension. As it is though, the car is an absolute blast. Will be interesting to see whether there's any improvement in 1/4 mile time (my old 60' was 1.96-ish... if this helps get me to 1.85 range I'll be pleasantly surprised - primary reason for doing this was cornering).

This allows me to continue enjoying the IS-F for a few more years, as I was considering the new M3 before putting a diff under this car. Although I just read in M/T the new M3s are running 12.1 @ 119 MPH, I'll let BMW sort the bugs out (e.g., their HPFP issues & who knows what else) while enjoying the IS-F's phenomenal build quality.

If any of you have considered upgrading to the OSG 1.5 way from either an open '08/'09 setup, or even a Torsen in '10+, there is no downside other than money. It's a great mod you'll grin about every time you drive the car.
Old 06-27-14, 06:18 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Welcome to the OSG club. I feel the exact same way when I daily drive my IS350. The OS Giken TCD has completely changed my perspective on the pleasures of driving and what I would require for my next car.
Old 06-27-14, 06:26 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i still need to install mines...smh
Old 06-27-14, 09:38 AM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up Live across the Creek in Vancouver

Not many F's in the Metro area, let alone the rest of the state. Most of my friends haven't the slightest idea what it is.

Was at Les Schwab Tire to leave another car and the manager was all over it, but he has been the only one.

Did a full Borla and the LCA Figgs bushings (I made an arbor for the bushing removal). The Figgs stuff is very good and worth while.

2011 F, SFP

Loren

Old 06-29-14, 11:13 AM
stantaur
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by redspencer
Welcome to the OSG club. I feel the exact same way when I daily drive my IS350. The OS Giken TCD has completely changed my perspective on the pleasures of driving and what I would require for my next car.

Redspencer, what are your thoughts on the EPS / steering control unit swap you did? Seem to recall the 2011 or 2012 ISFs had recalibrated units vs. earlier years for a bit more feel. Mine's a stock '09, with nice feel for a grand tourer but never had the feel of my S2000s or E36 M3.

Curious if there's a markedly better feel with '11 or '12 unit swap ($450-ish for unit + $150ish for calibration by Lexus).

Pretty pleased with my car for now, but seeing the new M3s running 12.1 at 119 MPH in Car and Driver / Motor Trend... might be my next move in a year if BMW ever solves their HPFP issues (and whatever else turns up as an issue in first-year production run)...
Old 06-29-14, 02:38 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Putting in the Torsen in my 08 turned it into a different car...cant imagine a 1.5 with clutch plates...gotta be fun!

Still can't believe they put an open diff in this thing for 08,09
Old 06-29-14, 04:46 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

how does the torsen in 2010+ compare with the OS Giken?

Originally Posted by stantaur
Redspencer, what are your thoughts on the EPS / steering control unit swap you did? Seem to recall the 2011 or 2012 ISFs had recalibrated units vs. earlier years for a bit more feel. Mine's a stock '09, with nice feel for a grand tourer but never had the feel of my S2000s or E36 M3.

Curious if there's a markedly better feel with '11 or '12 unit swap ($450-ish for unit + $150ish for calibration by Lexus).

Pretty pleased with my car for now, but seeing the new M3s running 12.1 at 119 MPH in Car and Driver / Motor Trend... might be my next move in a year if BMW ever solves their HPFP issues (and whatever else turns up as an issue in first-year production run)...
you can buy a techstream kit on amazon and calibrate it yourself and have access to a lot of other settings

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 06-29-14 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-29-14, 07:59 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
how does the torsen in 2010+ compare with the OS Giken?
Torsen is a gear type and OS Gikken is a clutch type.

I believe the torsen is a one way (on acceleration only) and the OS Gikken is a 1.5 (which is acceleration and some deceleration) You'll have to do some google fu to make sure my memory is correct.

The Torsen wont transfer power to the outer wheel if the inner wheel has come off the ground; where the OS Gikken will.

The OS Gikken is superior to the Torsen in performance, but the Torsen has less maintenance.
Old 06-29-14, 10:38 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Yes, the 11-12 IS-F Steering ECU retrofit has been a big hit for 08-10 IS-F owners as well as IS350 owners like myself. Here's the thread that will provide you all the info you need:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...it-2010-f.html
Old 06-30-14, 06:42 AM
fstpassat
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Although I just read in M/T the new M3s are running 12.1 @ 119 MPH,
Add headers and you are right there with them.
Old 07-28-14, 08:33 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

You were right...you do have big AutoX courses there.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 08-03-14, 12:27 PM
RMA
Driver

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
Putting in the Torsen in my 08 turned it into a different car...cant imagine a 1.5 with clutch plates...gotta be fun!

Still can't believe they put an open diff in this thing for 08,09
Factory OE Torsen ? What is the difference overall? Pricewise also ?
Old 08-03-14, 02:28 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Originally Posted by RMA
Factory OE Torsen ? What is the difference overall? Pricewise also ?
Yes, I got the whole pumpkin with seals from a 2010 car that was damaged while it was on the truck for delivery. I believe I paid around 1200 for it.

New from the dealership is around 4-5k.

The 08-09 have open differentials.
Old 10-02-14, 05:25 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I just ordered an OS Giken LSD from FIGS yesterday. Sucks that I have to wait 2+ weeks for it to arrive from Japan though. I bought BC Racing BR coilovers with Swift springs (16k/12k) from FIGS months ago along with his front lower arm bushings, but have yet to install either. Once the OS Giken shows up I'm going to have my shop install everything at once...Should make quite a difference!!!

After the install I will have intake, headers, exhaust, suspension, LSD, and bushings checked off my list

I am going to sell my 2014 Ram 1500 and likely my CBR1000RR and go down to 1 vehicle and keep modding the hell out of my ISF. I can play more and still save more this way. Mods still outstanding will be:

- winter tires on stock wheels (will borrow wife's Cayenne if weather is too bad)
- 18x9.5 +45 & 18x11 +60 BC Forged monoblock wheels
- 275/35R18 & 295/35R18 Nitto NT05 tires
- 2 piece rotors from FIGS
- a light weight race battery
- CF replacement for sunroof
- lightweight racing seats
- SARD tuning (hoping - but not holding my breath)
- Port/polish Intake manifold (maybe)
I will start a comprehensive build thread at some point.

I'm looking for an end result of 35XX lbs and lots of grip. I was seriously considering getting rid of the ISF then realized I will enjoy her more than a new sports sedan if I put some money into fixing her weak points.

Last edited by Gymkata; 10-02-14 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-02-14, 06:11 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

dont forget F Sport rear sway bar and 2011 ISF steering ECU

Quick Reply: Another happy FIGS customer - OS Giken LSD