IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

deleting cats from stock headers question

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-15, 10:25 AM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pharnhyte
I did this mod, I wish I didn't. I can no longer open the sunroof, or just one window because all I smell is the exhaust. It's embarrassing, my passengers even smell it and comment on it, so it's not me being sensitive. The only way to avoid the smell is by opening, well cracking 3-4 windows at once. You can't open just one window, or just the sunroof. Depressing.

At any rate, coupled to the Borla exhaust,it sounds intoxicating, it's just the smell is as well. I have the 4 mkiv supra's right now at my house, and not one has catalytic converter's, and not one smells at all, so I guess I didn't expect it from the Lexus, I figured everyone was exaggerating. I'll probably weld cats in, or get PPE headers with cats.

Steve
I would check for an exhaust leak although some people tell me I am full of BS when I say I smell exhaust but I defiantly do smell it. A couple times my wife has said she smells it on my clothes but in no way is it as bad as you're describing. Mine is very faint and usually just noticeable at stop lights and I never drive with any windows open so hopefully you something else going on that can be solved....
Old 02-15-16, 11:09 PM
asadk316
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tokenblkgy
So after reading a majority of the thread I'm still trying to determine if it is beneficial to go with aftermarket headers?

I don't really want a loud *** ISF! Is it possible to just get headers and keep the stock exhaust setup or does that defeat the purpose of the headers and reduce the performance gains from headers? Is there any exhaust that provides a sound similar to the stock exhaust note? Im still new to the ISF and trying to determine if i want to keep ti stock or mod it.
Aftermarket headers will definitely give you more power more than an exhaust will. Even with the stock exhaust on.
I custom made my exhaust , two pipes all the way, 1 mid muffler with internal xpipe, and stock rear mufflers modified to 2.5 inch inlets

probably lose 5whp with stock mufflers but no matter what i do to the car they keep the noise down near stock level
Old 02-16-16, 07:53 AM
DjMarkOne
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by asadk316
I custom made my exhaust , two pipes all the way, 1 mid muffler with internal xpipe, and stock rear mufflers modified to 2.5 inch inlets

probably lose 5whp with stock mufflers but no matter what i do to the car they keep the noise down near stock level
By any chance, do you got any pics of your setup?
Old 02-16-16, 07:42 PM
asadk316
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DjMarkOne
By any chance, do you got any pics of your setup?
Yes i will take some tomorrow 18th Feb up on hoist.
Pm me your number ill send you the pics and try getting them up on here too

From my research on these forums i know it will only get louder with headers so all the more reason for me to do this, im over loud exhausts.

Ill also send pics of primary cats removed from factory headers. I am removing factory headers, cutting off the cats (add flanges to add back anytime), fitting on straight pipes.
Autowerks in Beverly Hills can now remove the CEL in the ecu table for $190.00 and flash tune if needed for $1990.00.
Then weld back on 100cpi secondary cats (for the smell)

I have found 3 threads with proof of same power gains by removing the primary cats as PPE headers do. Advantage is you save $3500 which lexus of chatwood charge to supply and fit them. Price being so high because the AUD is so weak against the USD.

Again the PPE may gain a few more HP (which i have not seen) but whatever it may be its not worth the $$$. Youll get more by spending it on a tune.

Ill post a dyno of my custom exhaust and header setup without a tune.
Old 02-16-16, 10:49 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by asadk316
I have found 3 threads with proof of same power gains by removing the primary cats as PPE headers do.
Must be a reason that RRRacing is now a PPE distributer

Lou
Old 02-16-16, 11:21 PM
asadk316
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flowrider

Lou
Absolutely but the benefits for the $$ we need to spend down here not worth it for what i use the ISF for. If our $AUD was any better i would love to get PPE.
Old 02-17-16, 04:29 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider

Lou

Guys, when anyone asks us about the gains of headers over stock decat manifolds, we are always 100% honest. On the dyno, you can expect 6-12hp additional with headers on a car with our ECU tune. Some may scoff at that and say the hp/$ is not worth it... to each his own!

The reason we are selling PPE headers is four fold, (1) we asked customers if they felt that the additional HP is worth it for them, and many answer yes... (2) PPE makes a very high quality product, (3) some folks want to keep the OEM exhaust manifolds intact in case they have to revert back to stock when they move back from Mexico, and (4) there is also the "sound" component which many people really like.

We are very careful not to make pie-in-the-sky claims of 20-30hp additional hp from headers vs. gutted OEM manifolds... that is simply not true. And we have also observed that the relative before/after gains from the tune are greater with the decat OEM manifolds vs. the headers -- we reported that as well, and you can clearly see this in our tuned dyno results.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Last edited by RRRacing; 02-17-16 at 06:08 AM.
Old 02-18-16, 04:52 AM
sonicblu
Driver School Candidate

I think some guys on this forum can't or don't want to come to the realization that they spent over $3500.00 to get 400whp , but by just deleting all oem cats and res you get equal or more power for less than $900.00 bucks !!!!
Old 02-18-16, 09:45 AM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RRRacing
When you get a CEL on the ISF, it also disables your traction control and stability. I have no idea why they do this. I guess they want you to die if you get an 02 sensor CEL

Rafi
This is the info I was looking for . Someone mentioned that the car will go in lip mode by removing the primary cats but if that is not the case I will gut my primary cats. I just want to see what gains I will have with just the tune.

Thanks Raffi

Last edited by juanmedina; 02-18-16 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-18-16, 10:44 AM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lets just say that with gutted primaries and full exhaust... we got 405whp on a Dynojet, which is a very, very respectable number for a car without headers. We are talking like 60hp over stock! Most bone stock ISF's dyno 340-345 on this dyno.

Rafi
I imagine the tune will lean the car out a little bit and help with the smell.
Old 02-18-16, 12:06 PM
DanISFast
Driver School Candidate

Lets just say that with gutted primaries and full exhaust... we got 405whp on a Dynojet, which is a very, very respectable number for a car without headers. We are talking like 60hp over stock! Most bone stock ISF's dyno 340-345 on this dyno.

Rafi
Good info, considering the header car you guys tuned made 411whp same dyno correct?

So only +6whp more, that's very little gains to spend an additional $2000+ for full headers and install.

It seems the RR tune makes up for most of the deficiencies between the stock decatted vs. full header, that's very impressive and shows you what a good tune can do.

Looks like the most performance per dollar would be Full exhaust, de-catted stock manifolds + RR Racing Tune.
Old 02-18-16, 01:21 PM
asadk316
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DanISFast
Good info, considering the header car you guys tuned made 411whp same dyno correct?

So only +6whp more, that's very little gains to spend an additional $2000+ for full headers and install.

It seems the RR tune makes up for most of the deficiencies between the stock decatted vs. full header, that's very impressive and shows you what a good tune can do.

Looks like the most performance per dollar would be Full exhaust, de-catted stock manifolds + RR Racing Tune.
Amen to that
Old 02-18-16, 03:02 PM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd want to compare area under the curve before absolutely discounting it...but based on sound and install price, I doubt I'll ever throw down the pennies for an aftermarket header.
Old 02-18-16, 03:35 PM
STLblueF
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SubOrbital
I'd want to compare area under the curve before absolutely discounting it...but based on sound and install price, I doubt I'll ever throw down the pennies for an aftermarket header.
That's a very good point. 6hp peak is not much at all but there could be other gains under the curve.
Old 02-18-16, 04:33 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Looks like the most performance per dollar would be Full exhaust, de-catted stock manifolds + RR Racing Tune + RR Racing supercharger.
There, I fixed it for you

-Mike

Quick Reply: deleting cats from stock headers question