IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

deleting cats from stock headers question

Old 06-13-14, 12:15 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,836 Likes on 2,325 Posts

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
I'll be your dyno....

Me and Slay raced not to long ago. We both data logged our cars, wot runs and A/F mixtures were great.
We raced from a 40mph roll till 160mph. We were head to head. At 90, 120, 140mph I jumped a foot at each. At 160mph I was only up by 3 tiny feet.

My car: afe filter, ppe header, isa cat back, iss scoops (a whole lotta $)
Slays: gutted primary cats w/ ppe 02 conditioner, replaced mufflers & secondary cats with straight pipes (he saved a lot of $, lol)
That kicks the snot out of any dyno chart! Who cares what the number is, all I care about is the car being quicker/faster. I'd call this clear evidence the biggest issue with the OEM exhaust is not it's basic design, but cats not flowing enough to keep up. At the same time, the restrictions the manufacturers face for cleaning up tailpipe emissions means those cats are extremely effective at cleaning up the exhaust stream.

What would be a truly interesting (but expensive) experiment would be to put the OEM cats after a set of headers and see what happens. It would not surprise me if the header's gains disappeared with the OEM cats back in the system.
Old 06-13-14, 02:37 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,280 Posts

^^^^Come on now, you really think the stock manifold (with the cats bored out) is going to flow as well as headers If you do I have a bridge you might be interested in.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails deleting cats from stock headers question-right-side-exhaust-manifold.jpg   deleting cats from stock headers question-header1s.jpg  
Old 06-13-14, 03:44 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,836 Likes on 2,325 Posts

I ran a cryogenic gas separation lab. I know a little bit about gas behavior. Many times what looks good isn't significantly better than something that doesn't look good. This is why we test. Honestly I don't care about what it looks like. I'd say the results speak for themselves. Car with gutted cats hangs even with car with headers at WOT. What else do you need to be convinced?
Old 06-13-14, 04:15 PM
Cronic
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you really consider 1 roll race to be definite proof one way or another Though?

I have done my fair share of roll racing and two cars just about never start at the exact same time. Those fractions of a second coupled with the fact we are talking a very small power difference here as it is, makes it hard to draw any conclusion.

You can't expect one car to run away from another when there's maybe 10-15whp difference on paper. We can't really quantify what Pulling "3ft" means in terms of performance.

I'd agree that what "seems" like it should work isn't always the case though. We don't really have any definitive proof one way or another vs gutted stock headers. All we know is that aftermarket headers make more power than untouched factory headers.

I'd love to see what both trap on the same day, given similar weight, and tire/wheel setups.
Old 06-13-14, 04:31 PM
jdm_altzza
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sonicblu is my Uncle. This is something me and him have spoke about and a couple of questions and concerns were brought up with MRslayXX . This is something that he will try to see if there is a significant power gain. Also from speaking with mrslay; he mentioned that the PPE sim will not work. However he did mention that the SIkky sim will work so that a CEL will not pop up. We will try this and see what are the gains between the current set up vs deleted primary cats in the next few days once he gets the sim.
Old 06-13-14, 04:34 PM
Cronic
Pole Position

So you will be doing a before/after dyno ?
Old 06-13-14, 04:35 PM
jdm_altzza
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cronic
So you will be doing a before/after dyno ?
Yea, he will be posting the results as i am in FL.
Old 06-13-14, 05:38 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Do you really consider 1 roll race to be definite proof one way or another Though?

I have done my fair share of roll racing and two cars just about never start at the exact same time. Those fractions of a second coupled with the fact we are talking a very small power difference here as it is, makes it hard to draw any conclusion.

You can't expect one car to run away from another when there's maybe 10-15whp difference on paper. We can't really quantify what Pulling "3ft" means in terms of performance.

I'd agree that what "seems" like it should work isn't always the case though. We don't really have any definitive proof one way or another vs gutted stock headers. All we know is that aftermarket headers make more power than untouched factory headers.

I'd love to see what both trap on the same day, given similar weight, and tire/wheel setups.
I would consider the fact that my old car probably still has the fastest 1/4 time in America today. Even with the super high heat and humidity we have in south Florida, the car was still able to run well and set records. My current ISF will run 10s later this year and it's going to utilizing the exact same exhaust setup that it has today.

Who knows what the dyno difference would be? Dynos are cool, but just as lobux said, what looks good might not actually be better. If any local Fs want to try out so we can learn more just send me a pm.
Old 06-13-14, 06:01 PM
Cronic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
I would consider the fact that my old car probably still has the fastest 1/4 time in America today. Even with the super high heat and humidity we have in south Florida, the car was still able to run well and set records. My current ISF will run 10s later this year and it's going to utilizing the exact same exhaust setup that it has today.

Who knows what the dyno difference would be? Dynos are cool, but just as lobux said, what looks good might not actually be better. If any local Fs want to try out so we can learn more just send me a pm.
I didn't mention any of that. All I mentioned was the fact that the roll racing scenario isn't a great one to draw much of a conclusion from one way or another.

Once you start adding spray, and other variables we are straying further from the question at hand. Does gutted stock headers, give similar power(or maybe greater power) to aftermarket headers on an N/A, non power adder setup? That is what most people seem to want to know.

Saying the car will run 10's doesn't mean X is better than Y. It just means it will run 10's with a given setup.

And to clarify, I have no bias one way or another. I am all for information. I would love to see a well organized test or A-B comparison. If at any point I feel confident the gutted stockers would out perform PPE's I would gladly run that setup.

If I were to speculate/hypothesize on the topic, I could see that maybe removing the cats frees up enough flow to make more power over stock, while keeping just enough back-pressure to give more area under the curve than an aftermarket header provides. So "maybe" gutted stock manifolds will give slightly less peak power, however give a broader powerband. I have no clue, but I have seen this exact thing on other platforms.

Last edited by Cronic; 06-13-14 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-13-14, 07:05 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen these two cars racing each other in person and Danny's was just barely ahead of CJ, definitely money wasted... or money saved, who knows! What we know is that Lexus knows what they do!
Old 06-13-14, 07:27 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not that my opinion matters much... but I honestly always thought it was the emissions and not so much the pipe diameters of the exhaust that was the problem. if you think about it, the exhaust valves are definitely SMALLER in diameter than the "log" style headers. Did you actually examine the stock cats? They are TIGHTLY packed.

Knowing what I know now, I would've tried gutting them with conditioners also. Oh well. Too late.
Old 06-13-14, 07:45 PM
Cronic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ToothDoc

Knowing what I know now, I would've tried gutting them with conditioners also. Oh well. Too late.
If you can do the labor yourself, just try it now.

Your car would make one of the better test subjects since you are pretty in tune with what it traps, etc. Swap in some gutted stockers, and have at it.
Old 06-13-14, 08:03 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Taking the PPE headers out and putting back in the stock headers with gutted cats goes for about 600-1000 labor alone. After getting black ceramic coated headers (1500), labor (1,000), and new A/F sensors and gaskets (400?) and them some CEL repairs, I'm a lil over 3K in headers. I'm not about to pay another 1000 to go back to stock minus cats LOL.

I'm keeping my stock headers in case I might go back to stock down the road for emissions or sales purposes.
Old 06-13-14, 08:09 PM
Cronic
Pole Position

Yea clearly doesn't pay if you can't do the labor yourself..lol
Old 06-14-14, 09:46 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
That kicks the snot out of any dyno chart! Who cares what the number is, all I care about is the car being quicker/faster. I'd call this clear evidence the biggest issue with the OEM exhaust is not it's basic design, but cats not flowing enough to keep up.
agreed. He let me do a couple of WOT's in his car as well. Definitely felt strong. I knew I wasn't gonna pull on him. When we raced I wasn't surprised

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
^^^^Come on now, you really think the stock manifold (with the cats bored out) is going to flow as well as headers
Are you serious? Lou I like you man but you are so one way'd at times.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Many times what looks good isn't significantly better than something that doesn't look good. This is why we test. Honestly I don't care about what it looks like. I'd say the results speak for themselves. Car with gutted cats hangs even with car with headers at WOT. What else do you need to be convinced?

We raced a bunch of times before too. Every time, this guy hung on to me like a cheap hooker. We raced at the meet, that other night. All i'm saying is that his set up works....works real well.

Originally Posted by Juanca
I've seen these two cars racing each other in person and Danny's was just barely ahead of CJ
LOL i knoooooooooow. I was like come oooooooon

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
I'm not about to pay another 1000 to go back to stock minus cats LOL.
Why? Keep it. Works well

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: deleting cats from stock headers question