IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Driver's seat squeak and creaking noise not from loose seat bolts

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-14, 10:23 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Driver's seat squeak and creaking noise not from loose seat bolts

I have noticed new drivers seat squeak . It only happens with weight transfer side to side at lower speeds ( hard right and hard left below 30 mph, or entering a driveway). I have looked at several posts and it seems like people have had luck with simply tightening the bolts for the seat. Well I did that and it still making the noise. I have isolated the noise to the lower part of the seat right behind the moulding. Behind the moulding and behind the seat control switches there is a white box for the switches. It seems like the noise is coming from there. I noticed that if I pop off the control switches and I loosen the screws for the control switches the noise gets a touch better.

I was wondering if anyone had had this issue and had it resolved . I took it to the dealership and they told me they tried to add some oil between the leather and the moulding but it did nothing since the source seems to be behind the moulding Im sure going to the track didn't help, but just want to see if anyone else had had luck with dealership removing the seat and adding felt or tightening things up inside the seat. I told the dealership I would be willing to pay the tech for 2 hours of work if needed to resolve the issue. The SA said he can take the seat out of the car and try to take the moulding off the side and felt it like crazy. Hope it works
Old 06-06-14, 06:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

OK....I guess Im the only one with this issue. In the end Im probably one of the largest drivers of the ISF on the forum and I am very likely the biggest of all of us who has tracked the car (6'5" 280)......I would be willing to put money on that

So the issue was the white control box behind the drivers seat moulding. This box is mounted right behind the moulding. In my case I think all of the Gs at the track may have loosened the moulding a little and caused some flex in the white control box. The tech said he added some felt but could not put it where most of the noise was. He said he had to actual remove the control box from the seat then use white lithium grease to coat the box and he even applied it in the edges of the box and allowed it some time to get into the nooks and crannies that create these annoying noises. Im all for accepting the fact that we drive a high performance cars and that we may have some harshness but squeaks and rattles I can not tolerate (lol other than the minor dash and sunroof rattle it came with)

In th end she is quiet again. Im taking her to Cars & Coffee in the morning to show the car. She is a rare bird and deserves to be shown

Hope this help someone in the future. Im sure it will as these cars get older and we all get fatter
Old 06-07-14, 11:57 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Track duty stresses the seats especially hard. My car was silent inside until my first track weekend. Ever since, the driver's side vent has intermittently creaked for no apparent reason. There's lots of opportunity for things to move around and start making noise when you are really pushing the car.
Old 06-07-14, 12:56 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine was fine until I started tracking the car and the driver seat creaks too. It just wasn't bad enough for me to worry about it. I did have a squeak in the dashboard which was the black trim squeaking on the clear plastic portion which was fixed with some felt.
Old 06-07-14, 08:16 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I am just glad the chair is fixed . The noise wasn't bad but once I know its there I kind of hone in on it and it drive me NUTS !

I really enjoyed taking the car to the track but dont want to regret it. The tech only charged an hour labor to remove the seat , do the work, and reinstall.
Old 01-13-15, 07:57 AM
PremiumG
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP you are not alone. I have a squeaky creaky drivers seat and it's really annoying. I noticed it about a 3 weeks ago and at first it wasn't really an issue but after awhile it gets to you. I don't track my F, I'm 6'3" 190 lbs so the seat is not getting extra abuse. I hear it the most when making turns at low speed just like the you mentioned. I will take it to the dealer and hope they have a tech with the skills to fix it like you experienced.
Old 01-13-15, 08:19 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PremiumG
OP you are not alone. I have a squeaky creaky drivers seat and it's really annoying. I noticed it about a 3 weeks ago and at first it wasn't really an issue but after awhile it gets to you. I don't track my F, I'm 6'3" 190 lbs so the seat is not getting extra abuse. I hear it the most when making turns at low speed just like the you mentioned. I will take it to the dealer and hope they have a tech with the skills to fix it like you experienced.
Its most likely the white switch control box on the left side of the seat bottom behind the panel. The panel is not rubbing against the box. Its the box itself flexing and creaking. My tech had to remove the seat , flip it over, and remove the box. He then greased the edges of the box and BOOM no more noise even after multiple track days.
Old 01-13-15, 11:13 AM
PremiumG
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made an appointment for tomorrow. I will mention the white switch control box and have a copy of this thread handy just in case they come back with out a fix. Thanks!
Old 01-13-15, 11:16 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

no problem buddy. Its totally fixable. Have them remove the white box ( control switch) and then lubricate and or felt the box and surrounding area. Once you hear the squeak your ears will hone in and it will drive you nuts. Just for reference I believe they charged me 1-1.5 hours of labor. I want to say it was $148 to get the seat out and resolve the issue.

Last edited by I8ABMR; 01-13-15 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-13-15, 05:01 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

I actually had an internal support wire come loose. I was able to access it from the back of the seat and restore it to its original position and the squeak went away.

A good friend who has owned and tracked a number of C5 and C6 Corvettes commented on how quiet my seats were even after track use. His were always loose by 20k miles.
Old 01-14-15, 04:01 AM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This same thing happened to me after my first track day. I wish the squeak wasn't there but haven't tried to fix it. I'm glad there is a fix though, this spring I will give it a shot.
Old 01-14-15, 09:34 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

in my case I actually remember hitting an extremely tight corner at WHP and heard something pop under the seat. Thats probably when I popped the control switch out of its designated position. Seems like Lobux had some luck doing it himself. In my case I sat in the garage for hours trying to get my hand under the seat with some lubricant spray ( I was desperate ). In the end if the seat needs to come out and be serviced just take the hit. With the RCF not blowing the doors off my ISF, I think I will hold on to this car for a while