IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Long term IS-F reliability

Old 05-08-14, 10:33 AM
NickTomsyc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long term IS-F reliability

Between my wife and I we've had three IS250/350s in the past few years, all amazing cars.

... I recently was offered a job with a shorter commute and a pile more money, I'll be taking it. With that said, I would like to take some of the pay bump and put it to something new and shiny for me as a reward for kissing the right people's *** over the years. Given my wife and I's love for ISs the IS-F (or RC-F) seems like a logical choice.

... I'll be looking for something used, with under 30k miles, but I generally drive my cars to +180k miles before looking to unload them. So, those of you with an ISF, anyone in the +100k mile club, and if so how have the major components specific to the ISF held up for you? Namely the 5.0 engine and/or the 7 speed transmission?

I'm very **** about maintenance and keep up on everything very well, anything I would buy would also need detailed records.

Thanks for any input you guys might have!
Old 05-08-14, 10:47 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

knew a guy at work with an 08 ISF with 130k+ miles on it, never had an issue he said
Old 05-08-14, 10:55 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by NickTomsyc
So, those of you with an ISF, anyone in the +100k mile club, and if so how have the major components specific to the ISF held up for you? Namely the 5.0 engine and/or the 7 speed transmission?
Well it's your lucky day!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...n-the-isf.html

That's just one of many threads talking about the long-term reliability of this car (by the way, we have an 8 speed transmission ). If you look around, there are other threads with people talking about this car's reliability as well. The bottom line is that even though it is a high performance car and like nothing Lexus has ever built before (not counting the LFA and the new RCF), it's still a Lexus... or a Toyota... at its heart. Lexus did not deviate from the quality and fit and finish that they are known for. The majority of us chose this car over some other fantastic cars in the same price bracket BECAUSE of the reliability. I know I did. I could have gotten a slightly faster car, and definitely a more tuneable car for the same money... but I feel that I can trust this car deep into the 100K mile territory and keep it as long as I want to keep it without worry about it killing me on repairs.

Keep up the maintenance like you already do with your cars and you're golden. I know of ONE person who had a major and unexpected problem with his car and even he got it fixed for a good price and continued to drive the car 30k more miles and climbing.

Congrats on the new job by the way!
Old 05-08-14, 11:03 AM
NickTomsyc
Pole Position

Congrats on the new job by the way!
Thanks!

Also thanks for the link, tons of good info there! I was looking heavily at the CTS-V, but I feel like I would be a fool to turn away from the amazing reliability we've had from our past ISs. I wrote off a RS4 or M-series BMW because of the maintenance, and really have no desire in an AMG, they just don't really do it for me.

My first IS250 awd - sold with 175k miles... ZERO problems
My current IS350 - has 95k miles .... Zero problems
My wife's IS350 - 62k miles .... zero problems

They've all been so great, just worried about the 5.0 and 8-speed (my bad before) since it is "less common" than the IS250/350 options.

Thanks again!
Old 05-08-14, 11:24 AM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^^^ It's nice they'll still be producing a 5.0V8 with the same (IIRC) transmission in the RC-F as IS-F owners won't have to deal with an extinct engine with no regularly made parts IMO
Old 05-08-14, 04:33 PM
torxuvin
Pole Position

^^Speaking of, fingers crossed that we can get tuning updates for both.

OP: I was in the same boat recently. Was considering the M3, c63 ctsv etc. Reliability was a MAJOR reason why I went with the lexus. Personally, if I were in your shoes I would be ready for something different with all your previous experience in ISX50s. But that's just me. The ISF has been fantastic so far. Have you thought about just getting a weekend car and keeping the 350? Maybe a used Cayman or Corvette?
Old 05-08-14, 04:44 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The ISF tends to break down at 179k miles. Looks like you're out of luck.
Old 05-09-14, 06:37 AM
NickTomsyc
Pole Position

Have you thought about just getting a weekend car and keeping the 350? Maybe a used Cayman or Corvette?
I have, but carrying another insurance payment, storing the car, a second set of maintenance items.... I would rather just have a fun DD. I currently have an 05' RSX as my "Winter beater" ... but honestly I NEVER drive the thing because it just sucks so much more than my IS. Since 2014 I think the RSX has a whole 1100 miles on it. Even in snow, the IS with snow tires does far better than the lil' RSX.

My list of cars to consider after the move happens would be:
- ISF
- CTSV (coupe still somewhat in the running)
- CLA45 AMG - maybe, just maybe, I love the look of the CLS but its just too big, the CLA might be interesting, but anything Euro scares me a bit. Haven't been in one yet so its hard to say.

Possible options, but selling the wife on the payment that goes with these would be quite tough :
- Tesla Model S ... use this and bite the bullet on the payment until the Model "E" releases, a college buddy is a salesperson for them in Minneapolis and I've driven them a few times, the car is absolutely amazing. The gas / maintenance / insurance / tax credit savings make it a bit more justifiable

- GTR .... again the payment on this thing might be more than I could sell the wife on, and unlike the Tesla I still carry gas and maintenance costs of a "normal" ICE car. Since I'm looking used, lord knows whoever had it before me beat it the way I probably would.

The ISF tends to break down at 179k miles. Looks like you're out of luck.
Haha, I guess I could consider letting it go at like 175k

Last edited by NickTomsyc; 05-09-14 at 06:50 AM.
Old 05-09-14, 10:21 AM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Since you are a cheese head and probably a Packer fan, I will tell you that the F sucks in the reliability department and better for you to go German.
Kidding aside, you might want to wait for the RC-F which I am sure will be bullet proof like the IS-F and will have more performance.
Old 05-09-14, 10:32 AM
NickTomsyc
Pole Position

Since you are a cheese head and probably a Packer fan,
Born and raise and Wisco, and while I do love the Packers, the 49ers are kinda my go to team. All my dad's family is from the Bay Area and I was brought up loving Joe Montana.

... I live in Minneapolis currently and have a wife and father in law who are die hard Vikings fans. I honestly just love football as a whole.... I prefer it when everyone is competitive, and I think its time AP gets a ring, he deserves it. I also was a Vikes fan for two season while Favre was here.

Where in MN are you?

you might want to wait for the RC-F which I am sure will be bullet proof like the IS-F and will have more performance.
I have thought about it, but I like buying "slightly" used so someone else takes the initial loss of simply driving the car off the lot, I'll have a pretty long wait if I was to do this with the RC-F
Old 05-09-14, 11:04 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Joe Z Approved
Old 05-09-14, 02:22 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Born and raise and Wisco, and while I do love the Packers, the 49ers are kinda my go to team. All my dad's family is from the Bay Area and I was brought up loving Joe Montana.

... I live in Minneapolis currently and have a wife and father in law who are die hard Vikings fans. I honestly just love football as a whole.... I prefer it when everyone is competitive, and I think its time AP gets a ring, he deserves it. I also was a Vikes fan for two season while Favre was here.

Where in MN are you?

I have thought about it, but I like buying "slightly" used so someone else takes the initial loss of simply driving the car off the lot, I'll have a pretty long wait if I was to do this with the RC-F
Its always the same story with the Vikes. They break your heart. It took a Packer to bring the Vikes to the semi's. ..go figure. But yeah, its high time for AP. Hopefully, Bridge and Barr produce as expected.

Am in Apple Valley..

Cheers!
Old 05-09-14, 10:33 PM
Looxs
Driver School Candidate

Just buy mine .. I'm in St. Louis Park
Old 05-11-14, 04:27 PM
NickTomsyc
Pole Position

Just buy mine .. I'm in St. Louis Park
If you're looking to sell in 4-6 weeks I might be very interested!

I'm just west of you... I live in Minnetonka but right on the East edge.

By right off 169 between 62 and 7
Old 05-11-14, 05:24 PM
G9N
Driver

I have, but carrying another insurance payment, storing the car, a second set of maintenance items.... I would rather just have a fun DD. I currently have an 05' RSX as my "Winter beater" ... but honestly I NEVER drive the thing because it just sucks so much more than my IS. Since 2014 I think the RSX has a whole 1100 miles on it. Even in snow, the IS with snow tires does far better than the lil' RSX.

My list of cars to consider after the move happens would be:
- ISF
- CTSV (coupe still somewhat in the running)
- CLA45 AMG - maybe, just maybe, I love the look of the CLS but its just too big, the CLA might be interesting, but anything Euro scares me a bit. Haven't been in one yet so its hard to say.

Possible options, but selling the wife on the payment that goes with these would be quite tough :
- Tesla Model S ... use this and bite the bullet on the payment until the Model "E" releases, a college buddy is a salesperson for them in Minneapolis and I've driven them a few times, the car is absolutely amazing. The gas / maintenance / insurance / tax credit savings make it a bit more justifiable

- GTR .... again the payment on this thing might be more than I could sell the wife on, and unlike the Tesla I still carry gas and maintenance costs of a "normal" ICE car. Since I'm looking used, lord knows whoever had it before me beat it the way I probably would.
With your list of cars. I'd pick the Tesla, IS F, or RC F. I came from a GTO and while not in the same class as the CTS-V the GM cars interiors creek and rattle fairly bad with age they don't wear well even when kept in good condition. The CLA45 AMG will have turbo reliability which means it retains lots of heat and the engine wont have your 180k bullet proof reliability. Specially if you plan to do any spirited driving. Turbo engines on sports cars = more frequent repairs. The Tesla's have seemed to fixed their problem of spontaneous fires with a titanium skid plate. They have amazing range and power. Everyone I know who's made the plunge to buy hasn't regretted it. In theory they should be fiercely reliable considering they use brush-less motors which means no internal physical friction. The Tesla should last you as long as the batteries allow. The GTR, by the sounds of it, is not in your price range. Well at least not a price range that wont have you sleeping on the couch. I cross shopped for a GTR when I bought my F. I could afford the monthly payments but I could not afford the maintenance. I remember when I was looking into the maintenance everything was about 30% greater and I wouldn't really be able to mod it. Also, performance cars like the GTR aren't designed for high mileage commuter cars. While it's a pretty bullet proof car, daily reliability is another story. It would suffer from the same ill effects as the CLA45.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Long term IS-F reliability