Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW it's an 8 speed transmission
Old 05-12-14, 07:12 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NickTomsyc
I have, but carrying another insurance payment, storing the car, a second set of maintenance items.... I would rather just have a fun DD. I currently have an 05' RSX as my "Winter beater" ... but honestly I NEVER drive the thing because it just sucks so much more than my IS. Since 2014 I think the RSX has a whole 1100 miles on it. Even in snow, the IS with snow tires does far better than the lil' RSX.

My list of cars to consider after the move happens would be:
- ISF
- CTSV (coupe still somewhat in the running)
- CLA45 AMG - maybe, just maybe, I love the look of the CLS but its just too big, the CLA might be interesting, but anything Euro scares me a bit. Haven't been in one yet so its hard to say.

Possible options, but selling the wife on the payment that goes with these would be quite tough :
- Tesla Model S ... use this and bite the bullet on the payment until the Model "E" releases, a college buddy is a salesperson for them in Minneapolis and I've driven them a few times, the car is absolutely amazing. The gas / maintenance / insurance / tax credit savings make it a bit more justifiable

- GTR .... again the payment on this thing might be more than I could sell the wife on, and unlike the Tesla I still carry gas and maintenance costs of a "normal" ICE car. Since I'm looking used, lord knows whoever had it before me beat it the way I probably would.
With your RSX I think the problem is the tires. I DD my Integra on all-seasons all year round, it's a beast in the snow. If I were you, I'd slap some all-seasons (or winter tires in winter) on the RSX DD it and just get one of the cars you mentioned. Here are my thoughts on the cars you mentioned:

ISF: bulletproof reliability, great mileage for a V8, low-end torque makes it fun around town, with limited mods ~ 500HP, reasonable maintenance costs
CTS-V: straight line monster, comes in manual if that's your thing (or auto), plethora of mods available, easily 700+ HP, not as reliable
CLA45 AMG: Merc is def not as reliable as Lexus...
Tesla: Long term reliability is still unknown, but savings on gas could be worth it. Believe it or not the high end Tesla Model S is an 11 second car!
GTR: supercar maintenance costs, unlimited modding availability

I'm not only saying this because this is an ISF forum, but since your thread is predicated on reliability, the ISF would trump everything else on this list, at the end of the day it's a Lexus. There are plenty of F's in the 100K range with little to no issues. Maintenance costs are very reasonable also. As G9N mentioned turbo cars need more maintenance long term. The GTR is just in another league, since it's a supercar it will require a lot more money to maintain than everything on the list.
Old 05-12-14, 08:11 AM
NickTomsyc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With your RSX I think the problem is the tires. I DD my Integra on all-seasons all year round, it's a beast in the snow.
I have the same Blizaks as my IS on the RSX, I think the biggest different is the traction system between the car... meaning the RSX has none. I can literately punch the throttle in the IS around a corner in the winter, start to slip and then BEEEP BEEEP BEEEP the car takes over and says "You're an idiot, stop that"... its amazing... RSX on the other hand, I'm sideways.

I am taking my IS350 in for the recent recall this week, working with the sales crew to see if I can get an ISF as my loaner for an "Extended" test drive.... I asked about the LFA they had in the showroom, they laughed.

My gut says I'll either end up with the ISF or Tesla, I have til the end of the week to choose which job I want, but it sounds like my current company is willing to "Do what they can to keep me", so we'll see how this all shakes down.

Either way, I'm in car shopping mode and its exciting!
Old 05-13-14, 07:55 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NickTomsyc
I have the same Blizaks as my IS on the RSX, I think the biggest different is the traction system between the car... meaning the RSX has none. I can literately punch the throttle in the IS around a corner in the winter, start to slip and then BEEEP BEEEP BEEEP the car takes over and says "You're an idiot, stop that"... its amazing... RSX on the other hand, I'm sideways.

I am taking my IS350 in for the recent recall this week, working with the sales crew to see if I can get an ISF as my loaner for an "Extended" test drive.... I asked about the LFA they had in the showroom, they laughed.

My gut says I'll either end up with the ISF or Tesla, I have til the end of the week to choose which job I want, but it sounds like my current company is willing to "Do what they can to keep me", so we'll see how this all shakes down.

Either way, I'm in car shopping mode and its exciting!
I am (quietly, since I have a NOTORIOUS history on CL for car buying ) entering the market and considering as well... M3 on the list, trying to find my IS-F love again (had 2 IS250s so far)... whatever I get will be DD... let me know how your search goes and vice versa...
Old 05-26-14, 09:09 PM
stantaur
Driver School Candidate

I've been evaluating 2014-earlier GT-Rs vs. my current '09 IS-F, and noted considerably more road noise in the GT-R (80 dB measured on same road that hit 74 in the IS-F). Something worth considering in context of commuting. On some of the highly coarse (for rain abatement) roads around Portland, OR, it's enough to keep me with the IS-F.

2015 GT-Rs are rumored to have 22 lb sound deadening added, plus Bose Active Noise Canceling via their sound systems, which may help. Have not seen instrumented tests from car mags (esp. comparing vs. 2014s).