IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF exhaust tips yellowing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-14, 05:58 AM
MYISF
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ISF exhaust tips yellowing?

I installed Sikky headers and the Joe Z exhaust a little over a month ago or so and just recently my exhaust tips (stock chrome ones) are starting to yellow...I assume it is this due to the catless exhaust? If so, no problem as I plan to powder coat the tips soon but I am assuming I will need to go with something that can handle the heat to ensure they don't start looking funny after the powder coating as it is a pain to get the tips off the car...thanks for any gudiance or experience dealing with this that any CL member can provide...
Old 04-23-14, 06:09 AM
jdm_altzza
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You will need to clean the tips with a chrome polish before you can paint/powder coat to remove all that residue. I am currently using Meguiars Chrome polish/ grime remover at the moment and it restores back to new condition.
Old 04-23-14, 06:30 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Well I have black PC'd tips on my car and have had PPE Headers for several months now and no issues or discoloration.

But then again I have the stock exhaust on.
Old 04-23-14, 07:31 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have ppe headers and joe z exhaust along with the CF tips. so far so good. I notice my tips are more blacked out now. I don't drive that much on my commute to work.
Old 04-23-14, 07:35 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have PPE headers, stock exhaust, and black powdercoated tips. No problems. I will be putting a JoeZ system with Magnaflow HFCs on in the next few weeks.

Depending on where you get them coated, they may be able to sand blast them clean if you have problems getting any residue or discoloration off of them. I had this done to mine since I had a horrible paint job on them I was getting fixed.

My tips don't seem to ever get very hot (I've actually touched them after normal "spirited" driving...as carefully as one can do such a thing). Hopefully the Joe Z exhaust won't change this too much.
Old 04-23-14, 08:16 AM
Boma
Lead Lap

Yeah prior to powder coating just clean them up with some metal polish to restore it back to the chrome finish. As members have pointed out you should be ok with the powder coating withstanding any excessive heat from modified exhaust systems.
Old 04-23-14, 09:59 AM
MYISF
Lead Lap

Thanks everyone for the quick responses...I knew the CL ISF owners would step up...

Originally Posted by Boma
Yeah prior to powder coating just clean them up with some metal polish to restore it back to the chrome finish. As members have pointed out you should be ok with the powder coating withstanding any excessive heat from modified exhaust systems.
To your point "Boma" I would think that when I get them powder coated that they would clean them up (sandblast maybe) when they prep them for the powder coating...actually the place I am using says this on their website and I would think that would cover it so the powder coating would work???

ISF exhaust tips yellowing?-lasker.jpg
Old 04-23-14, 10:01 AM
MYISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jdm_altzza
I am currently using Meguiars Chrome polish/ grime remover at the moment and it restores back to new condition.
Thanks...I am headed to a car show this weekend and next so I am going to pick some of this up on the way home tonight!
Old 04-23-14, 10:30 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MYISF
Thanks...I am headed to a car show this weekend and next so I am going to pick some of this up on the way home tonight!
I've used that product before as well. It's a PITA, but definitely worth it.
Old 04-23-14, 10:34 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MYISF
Thanks everyone for the quick responses...I knew the CL ISF owners would step up...

To your point "Boma" I would think that when I get them powder coated that they would clean them up (sandblast maybe) when they prep them for the powder coating...actually the place I am using says this on their website and I would think that would cover it so the powder coating would work???

Attachment 325553
Yes, any quality place that performs powdercoating will take responsibility for properly prepping your parts prior to coating. Sandblasting or chemical stripping is the most common method prior to powdercoating. Just bring your parts in filthy, don't waste your time cleaning.
Old 04-23-14, 11:55 AM
Boma
Lead Lap

Sorry I do know that most places will clean them thoroughly before the powder coating process. I meant to say that metal polish is a good remedy for the yellowing until you get them powder coated. I kinda ran two thoughts into one lol. My apologies.

On that note, how much are they charging for the tips?

Originally Posted by mikellucci
Yes, any quality place that performs powdercoating will take responsibility for properly prepping your parts prior to coating. Sandblasting or chemical stripping is the most common method prior to powdercoating. Just bring your parts in filthy, don't waste your time cleaning.
Old 04-23-14, 12:20 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
I have ppe headers and joe z exhaust along with the CF tips. so far so good. I notice my tips are more blacked out now. I don't drive that much on my commute to work.
Exactly as little Teo lolz
Old 04-23-14, 01:09 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry I do know that most places will clean them thoroughly before the powder coating process. I meant to say that metal polish is a good remedy for the yellowing until you get them powder coated. I kinda ran two thoughts into one lol. My apologies.

For sure. You can also start with a mild light grade steel wool then move to the polish. Should make them look much better!
Old 04-23-14, 01:10 PM
MYISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mikellucci
Thanks but I still plan to question them in detail about the process but this place is supposed to be one of the best aorund here...
Old 04-23-14, 01:12 PM
MYISF
Lead Lap

No problem...your post made me go look into it....thanks

If I bring to him off the car he will do them for $80...seems reasonable to me??? And no more than a two day turn around...

Quick Reply: ISF exhaust tips yellowing?