IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF sport button.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-14, 08:15 AM
collinedw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ISF sport button.

Hey guys do y'all know any products that improve the function of the "sport" button on the ISF? I find the sport button on the ISF "lame". I've had boxters. Bentleys, benz's, mercs, and cayennes. Those vehicles all shift down when put into the sport mode. Thus running at higher RPMs and having better throttles response.
Thanks.
Old 04-09-14, 08:22 AM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't know how you don't notice but Sport mode will shift down and hold gears a lot longer. It will even downshift another gear lower if you are braking downhill. Steering also tightens up. Throttle response is a lot more jumpy in sport mode. You can get an Apexi throttle controller if you want better response but you can't do much else with sport mode.
Old 04-09-14, 08:28 AM
Boma
Lead Lap

The sport mode for the ISF does exactly as described aside shifting down automatically in certain situations which you can do on your own. If you're looking for a button that can adjust the suspension or raise a wing from the trunk you're not gonna find it on an ISF.

You can install a throttle controller for better throttle response as a supplement to sport mode, however.
Old 04-09-14, 08:29 AM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My car's throttle response gets MUCH more sensitive in sport mode, along with tighter steering. Not sure about gear stuff as I only drive in D when the engine is cold, so I'm not in sport.
Old 04-09-14, 09:29 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Pretty much what the first 3 guys have already said. Hard not to notice.

If you want to feel/notice the difference, try this example. Begin in Normal mode (i.e. default setting when you start the car). Cruise down any street at say 30mph and hold it. Get a feel for sustaining that speed and what the accelerator feels like on your foot. Once you've done this, push the Sport setting and keep your foot in same spot. You will immediately feel the car begin to accelerate w/o you applying ANY extra pressure to the pedal.

Another example would be to accelerate normally from a dead stop in both Normal and Sport settings. It's vitually impossible not to notice the difference in throttle response and acceleration.
Old 04-09-14, 09:46 AM
collinedw
Driver School Candidate

no I do see the throttle response and faster gear changes but it doesn't shift down a gear as soon as you engage sport mode. if that makes sense. That's what I was looking for.
Old 04-09-14, 10:17 AM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

It probably makes the tranny in D/sport mode more apt to downshift quickly when applying throttle than it would in D/normal mode

Last edited by dannyk8232; 04-09-14 at 10:17 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-09-14, 10:20 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

put it in manual and sport. Also use your paddles. Not sure how one can say this car shift slow or is less responsive. The F is much lighter and more responsive than any Bentley or Porsche SUV. Didi you have the others modified ?
Old 04-09-14, 10:26 AM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by collinedw
no I do see the throttle response and faster gear changes but it doesn't shift down a gear as soon as you engage sport mode. if that makes sense. That's what I was looking for.
No, it doesn't do that. I don't know of any car with sport mode that will do that. I know it will downshift a lot sooner when you get on the gas but it will not drop down a gear if you push the sport mode button. Kind of pointless if you ask me because if you are in 8th and it drops to 7th, that doesn't give you much play.
Old 04-09-14, 10:31 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by collinedw
Hey guys do y'all know any products that improve the function of the "sport" button on the ISF? I find the sport button on the ISF "lame". I've had boxters. Bentleys, benz's, mercs, and cayennes. Those vehicles all shift down when put into the sport mode. Thus running at higher RPMs and having better throttles response.
Thanks.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...love-it-d.html

Lou
Old 04-09-14, 10:38 AM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

If I wanted to downshift a gear I'd rather just use the shifter/paddle than reach for and click the sport button
Old 04-09-14, 10:55 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Compared to German cars with a "Sport" setting (highest Sport setting depending on make and model), the ISFs sport setting is lacking for sure. The sport setting (D mode of course) in the ISF does not downshift automatically when slowing for a corner. In Sport + D mode, braking hard before taking a corner fast, it does NOT downshift to be in the powerband before going into the corner. It does downshift, but not aggressively enough to be in the appropriate gear/powerband. And there is also significant delay when you punch it after the corner, it's as if the car either wants 100% power, or minimal power in Sport + D mode, thus you cannot "finesse" the throttle.

Unlike say Sport mode in a 911/Cayman with PDK, it will automatically downshift to keep the engine in the powerband, at any speed.

ISF needs to be in M + Sport. Heck, even M + nonSport mode is better than D-mode in any setting.

Last edited by itsmike177; 04-09-14 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-09-14, 01:44 PM
SunnyD09
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PatrickISF
No, it doesn't do that. I don't know of any car with sport mode that will do that. I know it will downshift a lot sooner when you get on the gas but it will not drop down a gear if you push the sport mode button. Kind of pointless if you ask me because if you are in 8th and it drops to 7th, that doesn't give you much play.
Actually, the Steptronic transmissions in BMWs will automatically kick down when you flip it over to DS from D.
Old 04-09-14, 05:03 PM
WillRockwe
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sport mode in the F is recommended by race drivers for the track. Lexus put some serious development into Sport mode.
Old 04-09-14, 08:08 PM
collinedw
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by itsmike177
Compared to German cars with a "Sport" setting (highest Sport setting depending on make and model), the ISFs sport setting is lacking for sure. The sport setting (D mode of course) in the ISF does not downshift automatically when slowing for a corner. In Sport + D mode, braking hard before taking a corner fast, it does NOT downshift to be in the powerband before going into the corner. It does downshift, but not aggressively enough to be in the appropriate gear/powerband. And there is also significant delay when you punch it after the corner, it's as if the car either wants 100% power, or minimal power in Sport + D mode, thus you cannot "finesse" the throttle.

Unlike say Sport mode in a 911/Cayman with PDK, it will automatically downshift to keep the engine in the powerband, at any speed.

ISF needs to be in M + Sport. Heck, even M + nonSport mode is better than D-mode in any setting.
I totally agree and that's my point. Nobody else seems to get it and yes the Bentleys and Porsches do shift Down a gear when put into sport mode in D and keeps you at high rpm.

Quick Reply: ISF sport button.